Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was working in the yard when I began to think about all the projects I want to do to make the house more "survival ready". For instance I am cutting down all the dead/sick trees and installing a wood burner to heat the house. I would also like solar panels on the roof and maybe a manual water pump (there is a small but big enough river a quarter mile from the house). Of course stored up food and ammo would be nice but this is along the lines of modification of your buildings. Home/Barn/BOL wherever you would want to be during a disaster. You have heard what I want to do what would you do to your place? Please keep it realistic I already know we want an underground bunker with cable TV and a supermodel that cleans guns.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
right now the focus is just to finish mine , before shtf and i cant afford lumber any longer .. but i want 3 heat sources , wood , propane , and passive solar , root cellar , and like you a manual water pump for my well , green house also ... all things im planning and sourcing for, im paying as i go , i have no debt so its kinda slow process

·
Fighter
356 Posts
I would like to get some sheets of plywood and pre make covers for the windows that are precut and ready to screw. Strategic holes in them. I would also like to have some brick and block to stack behind them for extra protection. Cinderblock is always good to have around. I also want to order some spools of barb wire to have around. Mainly home protection kind of stuff. Maybe do some caches this summer in case of tornado. More fire extinguishers too.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
I already have a good stack of plywood for my windows and oak beams and hardware for my doors, rain barrels for extra water storage, planted my first garden last year and tried my hand at canning last fall, so I'll be looking into a lot more jars and lids this year. I'm looking for a hand-pump system for the rain barrels for fires. I'm also looking for a woodburner that I can cook on as well as heat the house with. This summer I'm going to look into digging a well in my yard. Been thinking about stocking materials for a windmill for charging batteries and maybe some sort of converter for limited electrical-usage. I'm looking into fittings to change my natural gas generator to use propane later when the gas gets cut off.

·
One day at a time........
299 Posts
I have started my year round produce garden which will provide me with veges throughoyut the year.

Solar water heating and a solar power system augmented by a wind turbine.

Underfloor insulation, double glazed windows with a high safety factor.

Solid doors, door frames and window frames,

movement activated spot lights on each corner of the house,

Solid fence and gate around property,

wood burning fire and wood stove,

a wood/coal burning ******* fire for heating,

some of the the main things I would shoot at first

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I would sell it and build a new one somewhere else, I had the right idea just wrong location.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
869 Posts
- backup of water (a well, and another well, and hopefully a stream/pond/lake nearby)
- backup of heat
- backup for cooking (wood/coal/pellet stove takes care of heat and cooking)
- rain barrels, maybe even barrels in the basement with gutters re-routed to them inside somehow (less conspicuous)
- change all landscaping "purty" flowers to edible stuff
- plant fruit trees, nut trees, grape vines, berry bushes
- plant perimeter with prickly berry bushes

If we end up staying in this area where STRONG wind is a constant nuisance (we can fly kites out of our 2nd story windows), some kind of windmill

defensively...
- fire escape ladders for every 2nd story room
- tire-popping strips to lay across the driveway
- those prickly bushes mentioned above, plant them under windows too
- a second dog
- motion sensor lights (preferably with solar power backup)
- reinforced flowerbeds under windows as bullet stoppers

You guys who talk about plywood for the windows with pre-drilled holes... how do you keep the bugs and moisture out of those holes when not in use? Plug them with some kind of goo? (I'm sure the hubby could answer this for me, but he's asleep.)

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
A water well with a handpump inside the house. Kinda like they had back in the day. Oh, and a natural gas backup generator, underground for sound dampening of course. Oh, and a natural gas well to fuel the generator, water heater, stove etc. A large pond full of fish, a barn full of horses and cows, some goats, lots of chickens, four pigs, six dogs, four wives, a house made of concrete with castelations on the top, a computer controlled motion tracking vulcan minigun with iphone app on top of the house, a safe full of gold, a 22 year old marine living in the gate house, 5 acres of corn, 5 acres of beans, 5 acres of tomatoes, 5 acres of oats (for the horses), 5 acres of sorgum, a tractor that runs on natural gas, and a ten foot concrete wall surrounding all of it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Oh!! Also - get the breaker box moved inside.

Yeah, our last house had it on the outside. I *hated* that. "Here, robbers! Come disable all of my lights and power before you come in!"

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I want to get my renos done, but in terms of prep stuff there is three key things.

1) I would like to get blown insulation into the walls. Where I live the insulation standards used to be very low and this house is horrible for the cold.

2) I would love to build a detached garage in the back so that I could close up the current unused one and turn it into another room. As well, the garage out back would have a "storm cellar" type basement for much of my preps and such.

3) I want to replace the front door and its side lights with a new layout that will permit more security options.

That, other than my currently underway renos (like replacing all interior doors with solid wood ones and such) are the only realistic things I would like to do.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
With four wives, your life 24/7 would look like your avatar. :D:
Nah, I figured one to feed the animals, one to tend the crops, one to manage the house, and one to "manage" me. The young guy living in the guard house is gonna need some attention to. He can borrow the one that slops the hogs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would like to get a wood stove.

I would like to add solar to the roof of my shed to charge a pack of deep cycle batteries to power a 2500 watt converter.

I would like to add 3' thick brick flower beds up to the windows on the front of the house.

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
The best money you can spend before you go green is insulation.

The solar forum I belong to, all of them tell you before you go solar, or wind, or whatever, you must up the R value as much as you can.

Otherwise, you are defeating the purpose.

Reactions: MikeV1234

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
these are all good ideas. im thinking an outdoor light system, fruit trees and motion sensors would be good add ons. and jeffery i like the indoor pump idea. Not the four wives though. No where near enough patience.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts