Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
Depends on whether you think it will continue to go up, and how far off you think SHTF is. If the answer is "Yes, and a while off" then hold it. If the answer is "No, or maybe pretty soon" then sell it and invest in preps, specifically things like non-perishable food, ammo, and other supplies.

Reactions: SuzanneTx

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I would hide it. If/when something happens to the dollar, that gold could help sustain your family when you're forced to adopt the new currency. Regardless of what currency we'll have, gold will buy it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd have a Lethal Weapon 2 party!

I don't know if they are legal to own or sell but I would check the auction houses to see what they go for and put it in an auction. Use that to buy even more gold or silver if you are into that.

I personally like durable goods such as fuel, food, weapons, and ammo.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would ask myself if I thought it was going to be TEOTWAWKI event who could I sell/trade it to and for what and could I sell it now and get that/those items now before its to late.

If it is just going to be a regional or SHTF locally type thing then I would keep it as long as it isn't costing you anything, why not keep it for a real rainy day.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you dont' need money right away, just hang on to it for a while longer. If your fridge goes out, sell it. If you are wanting a newer TV, just hang on to it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
So.. just one?

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's funny, just this past weekend I was looking at the 1 krugerand that I have and wondering whether or not I should do something with it. I was thinking about splitting it up.....half into silver and the other into additional food preps. What I would really like is to purchase a smaller handgun, like a PMR 30 or something similar

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts
That gold piece represents wealth preservation. It is off the books wealth the gov't can't get to...and that's pretty sweet. Unless you need the FRNs, keep it right where it is. Never ever sell gold in exchange for dollars if you don't NEED to. You'd be trading an appreciating ASSET for a depreciating legal tender.

Now, if you need more preps and you don't have cash in the bank then by all means sell it. Otherwise just sit on it.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I have a LOT of silver and even though we could always use more preps, I'm thinking I'm just going to hold on to it.

Yes, I only have one.

Thanks again!
Suzanne

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,581 Posts
Krugerrands are how I bought my gold initially. If you don't need the money, I'd say keep it. If you don't have silver, you might consider swapping for some. It would be like breaking a $100 bill to get $1s because they spend easier.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I'd probably sell it because the price is so high right now (and I have so little money). Later when the prices drop and I am richer I might buy a few. But not now.

·
Recent Blog
357 Posts
Would you keep it? Sell it? Invest in preps with it?
Suzanne
Gold, and your Krugerrand, are selling around $1500 an ounce right now. It's not easy to come up with that many bucks at once. Resist the urge to splurge right now. I know it's tempting to think about all the things you can do with all that cash, but that coin is a condensed survival kit you can carry in your pocket if need be.

Read the last few paragraphs of this:
http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2010/09/timing-is-thing-its-true.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.