Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just want to live my life
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, what would be better for just a day or two. Either start up the generator which is in a state of storage (e.i. drained of gas but with stabilized fuel at the ready) or use an inverter on your vehicle with the engine running every so often. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
Depends on how much power you need. Run a few lights? Refrigerator? Furnace?

You're not going to get much from an automobile with an inverter.

Reactions: Texas Patriot

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I had our generator converted to run on propane. Propane will store w/ o the need for fuel stabilizers. For a short term, as in a week or so, just use the generator. TP

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I was wondering, what would be better for just a day or two. Either start up the generator which is in a state of storage (e.i. drained of gas but with stabilized fuel at the ready) or use an inverter on your vehicle with the engine running every so often. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
For a inexpensive means to charge batteries without needing to run a vehicle, you might just go for a small gas engine/alternator setup. Simply find a small gas engine (BS, Tech, Honda, etc, there are tons of used ones you can get from garage sales, and run a pulley and belt to a car alternator (also rather easy to find for cheap) that has a internal voltage regulator. Using such a setup will recharge a couple of batteries that you can then use a inverter to have AC power from. With a bit of looking about you can practically make this setup for nothing. The inverter could be a old UPS that someone is tossing because the batteries are bad. Replace the batteries with whatever you can find that meets the ticket.

Running your car or truck to recharge a battery is not efficient and puts wear and tear that well cost you more in the long run.

Good fortune. :cool:

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,907 Posts
Need to be a little more specific on what it is you plan to power mate...??

I have a 400w invertor my car, plus an N-Power 500Amp/400w mobile power pack and a small genie i could fire up if need be.....

I'd probably fire up the genie for 2 days, run intermittently until power is restored....

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I learned my lesson with my generator that was "in storage" a few years ago. I was in the middle of what turned out to be an 8-day outage and my generator wouldn't start. Thank goodness my trusty car mechanic understood what an emergency this was (as I had 2 large freezers defrosting) and dropped everything to fix it.

Now, I have it on my calendar to start and briefly run my generator once a month. Then, I drain any remaining fuel from it, and the fuel I do use is treated with Stabil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts