Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this ages ago when I first got into NFA guns. I used an old Stag bottom and Bushmaster SBR upper. Back then the handle was not detachable on the upper or my problem would be solved now. I want to get rid of the loop handle upper and put a pistol / SBR upper on it with flat top pic rail for a sight.

What do you recommend for a good quality short barrel upper?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
If the only thing you don't like about your current setup is the carry handle, then just buy a stripped railed upper and swap everything over.

How short are you looking to go? I prefer 11.5" and have one from PSA but they seem to have let those wither as they concentrate on 10.5" and shorter that are all the rage with the cool kids now.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Nows not the best time to be buying most anything. PSA is getting almost double what I paid for complete pistol uppers a few years back.

I think Steves advice would be your best bet, as long as your barrel is OK and you dont mind the fixed front sight.

One other alternative, for now anyway, is a gooseneck mount on the carry handle if you want a cowitnessed dot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rite now brownells has colt 11.5 in uppers I’m stock. At least they did a day or so ago..I currently have a PSA 10.5 that runs good. I’m waiting for BCM to come back I’m stock. When I say SBR I just have a lower w SBA3. My current setup is psa 10.5 w tool raft BCG, holoson 503, SureFire 6px Tactical white light. Handy little HD rig. My next SHTF rig is gonna be all BCM w aim point micro and SureFire

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Honestly I’d prolly wait and put a stag upper on it. They make a 10.5 inch. It might be a LITTLE more than a PSA or budget upper. It will be less than a BCM or higher end upper.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Definitely go 11.5" barrel no matter the brand. The increased dwell time means more reliability. I've always wanted to try a 13.7" as far out as possible (800yd). But at that point I might as well look at 16" rifle options.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the only thing you don't like about your current setup is the carry handle, then just buy a stripped railed upper and swap everything over.

How short are you looking to go? I prefer 11.5" and have one from PSA but they seem to have let those wither as they concentrate on 10.5" and shorter that are all the rage with the cool kids now.
Well that is an idea. I'm flexible on length.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nows not the best time to be buying most anything. PSA is getting almost double what I paid for complete pistol uppers a few years back.

I think Steves advice would be your best bet, as long as your barrel is OK and you dont mind the fixed front sight.

One other alternative, for now anyway, is a gooseneck mount on the carry handle if you want a cowitnessed dot.
Wanna get rid of the front sight.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could buy a stripped upper and a low profile gas block and reuse everything else. Save the fsb and put it back later, when you want a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would buy a complete new upper because you might just find out that your current setup is your favorite setup. Not to get into a tangent but I would have a pistol AR complete lower if I bought a complete new upper to avoid any intention of having another SBR without a stamp. I am probably a little too paranoid but that how i roll.

You can't go wrong with Geissele, BCM, DD, Noveske, Spikes Compressor ST, or even a PSA (FN barrel with Geissele rail). I wouldn't go straight up cheap though with a regular PSA upper with set screws holding the gas block. I would rather have a gas block that is pinned and a chrome lined CHF barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts