Survivalist Forum banner
50981 - 51000 of 51290 Posts

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Mine is a hodgepodge of hand drawn diagrams and scribbled notes.
Boy does that sound familiar. :whistle:
I use a spiral notebook and fill a sheet with vertical lines, filling those in when I plant a row with type and date.
The date is for when. If I have something planted that should be up, I refer to it.
And, I shift planting around. I remember the spots that some plants don't do well, and write those down for the following year.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Boy does that sound familiar. :whistle:
I use a spiral notebook and fill a sheet with vertical lines, filling those in when I plant a row with type and date.
The date is for when. If I have something planted that should be up, I refer to it.
And, I shift planting around. I remember the spots that some plants don't do well, and write those down for the following year.
I had my seed trays numbered and written on a piece of paper. Then the wind blew it away... No clue what is coming up where, but at least my trays didnt fly away too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wed thru today I conducted research in Aldi and Walmart and my local grocery to do price comparisons and check for shortages. I am working on a spreadsheet to compare pricing. I also cleaned up my food storages and moved some to a hidden location. Did inventory on my food/supplies as well so I can update that. Ordered underwear/socks for everyone in my family so we have extras on hands. Trying to get a winter coat for next year for my son (only one still growing). Plan to hit a plant sale tomorrow from our local gardening club. Lots of fun!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well I won the Bid on the Stove I wanted, I ended up buying a New unused one for about 8 bucks more than ( UK ) retail price and there was another "Used" one another seller was selling with a buy it now price of £239.00 which is higher than what a new one costs @ £199.99, I paid £206.50 so I can't complain,
Gas Kitchen appliance Cooking Transparency Advertising
Brown Luggage and bags Shipping box Bag Wood
Furniture Couch Comfort Wood Rectangle
Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Steering wheel Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Motor vehicle Gas Hood Automotive exterior Bumper
Musical instrument accessory Home appliance Audio equipment Trunk Gadget

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
I have two of those one on " a stand" (think name is Firechief IIRC)

Really like them!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have two of those one on " a stand" (think name is Firechief IIRC)

Really like them!
I never knew that, the only referrance to them I can find is "The Coleman 424" ?

The currant model seems to have 2 Ribs down the Lid to make it a bit more rigid But if this is an older one the older the better, Love the fact that it is still new, with It and my new Coleman Kerosene Lantern I'm all set, Plus I gt the 390 Twin for use in the Camper etc,

Funny I searched and search for one of these Coleman EU said it would be about a year before they had any, Coleman UK was a non starter and then 2 turned up all at once, One had only been lit once and then there was this one, I was determined to Get it so I went in about $150.00 higher than the currant Bid and I got it for normal retail,

Ain't that a Hoot, 🥰 😍😛😝😜🤪

·
Registered
975 Posts
Using preps in prep for the move. Given the price increase in milk, we're going to use dry milk from here out until after the move. Old preps need used anyways.

Not feeling it today otherwise. Dealing with a sick kitten that's probably not going to make it. Not sure what is going on with this litter - we're approaching 50% death rate which is really high for my cats. This one I'm chalking up to fading kitten syndrome. I've been trying the sugar water trick but she's not improving at this point so probably time to let her pass without any further assistance.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
Wife stopped by a road side stand she frequents and bought some cabbage & tomatoes, got 4 bell pepper plants and they gave her 4 cabbage plants! Those hopefully will go in the ground ASAP! We have several tomato plants, hot pepper plants nearly ready but nice to have a few cabbage plants (hope to have at least a dozen more IF we can find 'em).

·
Banned
5,968 Posts
Local big box FleetFarm (was Mills Fleet Farm) is apparently changing brands in hand garden/stable tools. Cleaned up what they had for clearance. 4x cheap hoes @ $7.00ea; Very good quality fiberglass handle 3 tine manure fork $12.50; 2x nice 3.5lb Pulaski @ $19ea; 3x very good fiberglass long handle square nose shovels $16.50ea. Somewhere at or under wholesale. I have mulitples of such for use so don't need and. But in 2022 a much better any "investment" at Wall Street or cash OH. If the SHTF such will be invaluable to those who don't have such essential tools.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Freeze drying turnip greens. Then going to start freeze drying canned goods going out of date.
I am kind of curious why you would go to the expense and effort to freeze dry canned goods. They already have reduced nutrients from being canned. I am running freeze driers and try to only use the freshest food to freeze dry.

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
1,249 Posts
Y'all, check your local Walmart shelf for canning lids, and double check the posted prices.

Yesterday our local Walmart had several flats of half pint and 4 oz jars, some lids and rings, and a fairly good amount (considering recent stock levels) of lids. One flat of pint canning jars at a decent price, which we took. No quart jars.

Standard regular mouth Ball lids were $4.47/pack, I think??? I know they were over $4/pack of twelve. I have lids so I left those on the shelf.

Just down from the branded Ball lids was a box of Golden Harvest lids with a posted shelf price of $1.47/box of twelve. I haven't seen those prices for well over a decade so I scooped up a dozen boxes.

I have no problem with Golden Harvest lids.
Golden Harvest, Ball, Kerr, and Bernardin (mostly out of Canada) are all owned and manufactured by the Newell Company. I cannot detect a difference between Ball branded lids and Kerr and Golden Harvest branded lids, nor the same branded jars. I use them all interchangeably.

Anyway, Husband, being a wise man, did a bar code scan with his phone and a price check on the Walmart app, which returned no data/price, which made us suspicious, so he took a picture of the posted shelf price along with the posted shelf bar code and the bar code on the box.

Sure enough, the lids rang up at $2.47/box, which is still a good deal considering recent shortages and prices.

Hubs was in self checkout so he paid the $2.47 price to keep the lids, but he took his receipt and his pictures to customer service. Walmart honored the shelf posted price by giving us a gratis Walmart gift card for the difference, a little over $12 with tax.

Today I looked up the prices of canning lids at our local Walmart on that store's web site.

Ball branded lids are listed at $2.97/box of 12, not $4.47/box of 12 as was listed on the shelf price.
Golden Harvest branded lids are listed at $2.47/box of 12.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Liquid Plant Bird supply Pollinator Drink

We tried bees a couple years ago and two hives didn't make it through the winter. Kinda gave up but kept the boxes. So im out and my wife sends me a picture of a swarm that clustered on her hummingbird feeder she had put out about a week before. A friend came down and got the queen into one of our boxes, so we have bees again. Now have to figure out how to get them through the winter.

50981 - 51000 of 51290 Posts