Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
46301 - 46320 of 46499 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
My prep for the day is my knife modification. I took my Mora Garberg Carbon knife and got it shaving sharp. Then on the knife sheath I used Gorilla tape to secure a Sail Needle, a fishing hook, a 5” long by 1/2” Ferrocerium rod. Then I wrapped 10’ of paracord around the whole sheath. Each item does more than one function.

Gorilla tape could be used for repairs, bandaid, and fire starter.
Sail needle is used for sewing, repair, digging slivers or stingers out, compass.
Paracord is used for cordage, sewing, fishing.
Ferrocerium rod for fire starting or signaling.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You know of all the things that I see on here that are home canned pepper jelly is probably the most underutalized and unappreciated one. Most people eat it on crackers and cream cheese and that's it. What a waste of an extremely versatile product.
Yes. I'll put it on toast, plain bread, most anything. Sometimes I think it should be considered a side dish. :love:

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Yes. I'll put it on toast, plain bread, most anything. Sometimes I think it should be considered a side dish. :love:
Interesting, honestly I'd never eat it if those were my choices.

Now grab a roast and rub it down good and then put it in the crockpot, add your normal stuff, and then throw a few spoonfulls in for good measure. Now you're using it.

Spoonful or two mixed into your meatloaf instead of green chilis, a tablespoon mixed into a pound of burger. Throw some into your home canned onion soup so that your gravy comes out more like it was made from pepper steak. A little bit over an omlette as a relish. Under the skin of a chicken or turkey that you will be baking or grilling. Pound it into a cheap steak that you are tenderizing. Spoonfull or two into a pot of rice ( and maybe some chicken). You can heat it, cut it with water, and use it for a marinade for steak or pork chops.

Remember pepper jelly can be made to taste, more sweet than heat or heat than sweet and with or without seeds and you should make it a few different ways to use the one you think will work best for certain dishes.

·
Grevcon 10
15,350 Posts
Today, I said to my wife for the 10th time this month, that we should make some preparations for a possible food shortage.
Then we both agreed that we agree. From a political viewpoint, I'm prepared.
Since the beginning of the pandemic we've upped our food game. Currently have a 10x10 room stacked to the ceiling with food in addition to the pantry. Food is getting slowly harder and harder to obtain and we all know it'll collapse at some point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You know of all the things that I see on here that are home canned pepper jelly is probably the most underutalized and unappreciated one. Most people eat it on crackers and cream cheese and that's it. What a waste of an extremely versatile product.
Use it as a baste for a pork tenderloin… heaven. Drizzle it on pimento cheese and pork rinds: delicious. I can think of others, but that’s two of my favorite uses for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
Day two without sweetener or sugar added to drink or food. I’m not worried about them already in brought food as I don’t eat sweets/ candy, pastries and wheat. My body just doesn’t process sweeteners at all giving me an upset stomach.

My cat is doing well walking in a harness and coming to a whistle recall. His been with us 6 weeks and is hunting, but yet to catch anything. The one remaining very fat rodent is on borrowed time.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,358 Posts
Scored a new handgun for EDC…price that sucker hit me for, Im carrying it on duty too..jmo

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Fashion accessory Font

Wilson Combat EDC,8 mags,2 Wilson leather holsters, Wilson leather mag carriers(2- single and dbl),case, some other accessories….Wife cut me off buying any more guns, probably forever if she gloams onto how much that gem cost( us)…jmo

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
not too much. hit up the dollar tree. bought 2 gallons of bleach--which was an availability surprise due to the flooding from the hurricane. im up on the mountain so i was fine but everyone below me flooded. im still seeing people throwing out things that were in their basements like it was bulk garbage week. bought some utility worker yellow/green work gloves. they re way too big on me--they were just a buck, and i thought if i was stuck somewhere at night and needed to walk to get help or flag someone down, id throw them on. AAs and AAAs, just a 4 pack of TP, some foil, parchment paper and wax paper. next trip will be napkins and tissues. didnt feel like i needed much.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,910 Posts
Interesting, honestly I'd never eat it if those were my choices.

Now grab a roast and rub it down good and then put it in the crockpot, add your normal stuff, and then throw a few spoonfulls in for good measure. Now you're using it.

Spoonful or two mixed into your meatloaf instead of green chilis, a tablespoon mixed into a pound of burger. Throw some into your home canned onion soup so that your gravy comes out more like it was made from pepper steak. A little bit over an omlette as a relish. Under the skin of a chicken or turkey that you will be baking or grilling. Pound it into a cheap steak that you are tenderizing. Spoonfull or two into a pot of rice ( and maybe some chicken). You can heat it, cut it with water, and use it for a marinade for steak or pork chops.

Remember pepper jelly can be made to taste, more sweet than heat or heat than sweet and with or without seeds and you should make it a few different ways to use the one you think will work best for certain dishes.

I like it on sausage biscuits in the morning and on bacon cheeseburgers when we grill on the weekends

·
Registered
604 Posts
Tackled the long overdue project of putting in a new back door. The previous owner had chopped down an interior door with a cheap lock.. I had a lot of troubles getting it even close to right. The floor slopes and its 5/8 ths of an inch lower on one side. I'm not super happy with the final results, but its functional and more secure.

46301 - 46320 of 46499 Posts