Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
46281 - 46300 of 46499 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Here you go: View attachment 382018

View attachment 382032

I won't say that they are as good as "fresh" hot dogs, but they sure passed the test with nothing but ketchup and relish and ketchup isn't something that I normally eat and never on a hot dog or a burger.
That's what I call "blowin' up winneys". That's the way I like'm. BTW the split down the middle is from cutting off the casing at the factory. Saw that on the TV, forget the show, running the string of wieners under a rotating knife and stripping the casing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Received my empty monster box in the mail with another $5 face value junk silver and a silver 10 x 10 gram combi bar.

Went through my boxes of canning jars and drawers (spread between kitchen, living room, garage and attic) to get all my lids and rings in one place to inventory. I have more wide mouth lids than I thought and less regular than I thought. Also the various rings for the lightning jars, rings for the few Weck jars and then some real antique odd ball closures.

Shredded some old bank Statements and such while cleaning up.

·
A marathon not a sprint
5,256 Posts
Purchased 10 more black barrels to add to what I have tucked into my landscape and prefilled with water so if I am ever in a wildfire threat , I can concentrate our well volume and water preasure on sprinklers on the roofs and tip and saturate the surrounding landscaped beds and lawns close around the house with these water barrels . The challenge will be to blend the utility with the aesthetics.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
That's what I call "blowin' up winneys". That's the way I like'm. BTW the split down the middle is from cutting off the casing at the factory. Saw that on the TV, forget the show, running the string of wieners under a rotating knife and stripping the casing.
A lot of that is the result of them being very soft and hard to work with. Think of trying to grill Viennas that size.

They were good though and grilling put some of the texture back into them although they were still very soft. The main reason that I posted on them is that asking if hot dogs or sausages can be canned does come up in the forum every now and then. It works although I would stick to the beef ones for flavor.

The good thing is that the sweet relish my wife canned was very good. It's not something that we normally can or eat, but as you've seen we're looking outside of our norms to get stuff used up right now. That was some good ****, in fact the boy was just eating it as a side dish.

I'll give a report on the beet relish when we try it. Like to let most relishes sit a couple weeks to a month before we eat them.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Today’s is more of a fail. Tried to explain to Mrs SNC that leaving her car till there’s only ten miles of diesel left is crazy. She said she likes to see the little turtle on the dash warning light, so she can develop her economy driving skills.
Mine used to (and still does occasionally) drive home on empty and I have to use can gas to put enough in to get to town. Cuz it's sunday, and other nonsense. :unsure: 😬:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yesterday canned a load of beet relish, never canned or had it before, but I have to say it sure came out purty. Today will be a load of corn relish. Something we have also never had or canned but it's really smelling good right now.

Have 30lbs of taters to can today also, that should be about 2 loads of 7 quarts.

Winter is coming and my kids don't experience the hungry winters that I did as a kid. There's always something and there's always a variety.
I found those relish recipes and my "to can" list just got longer. I checked the corn relish recipe I've made and it probably isn't suitable for canning due to small amount of vinegar. Yes 30 lbs of taters will make a lot, I think I managed to get 26 pints out of that much. Peeling them ain't no fun though.

·
Survivor
17,356 Posts
Today’s is more of a fail. Tried to explain to Mrs SNC that leaving her car till there’s only ten miles of diesel left is crazy. She said she likes to see the little turtle on the dash warning light, so she can develop her economy driving skills.
Maybe she should carry a 1 or 2 gallon can in the car just in case?

·
Scapegoat of the Universe
2,180 Posts

Ask her how economical it is sitting at the side of the road,

Out of fuel,

Alone,

In the dark.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
With all the Covid mandates going on, I've been picking up extra side jobs. Just in case. My wife has Covid right now and I'm on quarantine leave until I test negative. Im showing symptoms, but still working my side gigs. I'm upfront with my customers and I'm working outside. So far the Covid hasn't put me down. I would really not like to go back to self employment, but I will. For some reason taking 2 Aleve twice a day is helping with the symptoms.

Got 13 new pullets.

Just about got the wife's covered hen coop finished. She's lost all her hens to a **** or owl. Whatever it is isn't leaving any feathers from the kill. Went ahead and ordered 4 Duke 1.5 foot hold traps for each corner post.

Wow!! RacCOON got edited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
With all the Covid mandates going on, I've been picking up extra side jobs. Just in case. My wife has Covid right now and I'm on quarantine leave until I test negative. Im showing symptoms, but still working my side gigs. I'm upfront with my customers and I'm working outside. So far the Covid hasn't put me down. I would really not like to go back to self employment, but I will. For some reason taking 2 Aleve twice a day is helping with the symptoms.

Got 13 new pullets.

Just about got the wife's covered hen coop finished. She's lost all her hens to a **** or owl. Whatever it is isn't leaving any feathers from the kill. Went ahead and ordered 4 Duke 1.5 foot hold traps for each corner post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your chicken has a deformed beak. I'd try to get my money back on that one.

·
Forum Administrator
6,375 Posts
Basic day. Saw I was out of ibuprofen. I have aspirin and Tylenol. So, went and restocked on a bunch of OTC stuff and vitamins, being that Fall is coming fast. Should be good for another year.

Oh. A pic of the Hungarian Goulash we canned and I mentioned a few pages back.
Food Food storage Condiment Ingredient Food storage containers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Started tearing the rest of the old flu down today. It was in a lot better shape than I thought it was after more than thirty years. But I was afraid of it. If's don't count for much. But if I knew when I first tore down the upper part what I know now, I would never have touched it. I'll be putting one of those stainless steel flu's back in it's place.
Been looking at wood stoves. I'm going to go ahead and buy one and put it in the garage until I'm ready for it. I've got this narrowed down to a Englander 15-w03, or a Yotul little giant. This one has to have a cook top. My old one didn't.

46281 - 46300 of 46499 Posts