Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
46261 - 46280 of 46499 Posts

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Yesterday canned a load of beet relish, never canned or had it before, but I have to say it sure came out purty. Today will be a load of corn relish. Something we have also never had or canned but it's really smelling good right now.

Have 30lbs of taters to can today also, that should be about 2 loads of 7 quarts.

Winter is coming and my kids don't experience the hungry winters that I did as a kid. There's always something and there's always a variety.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Beet and corn relish. Hmmmm. I may have to put that on the list.

Bought 70# 80/20 burger yesterday. 50 for us, and 20 for the youngest son and family.
Corn relish is good, I've made a recipe from a different book and don't know if it's suitable for canning. I'll need to check the Ph next time I make it, also compare to the Ball recipe. Never ate beet relish.
If you're paying what I have too or more for 80/20 burger you dropped a bundle there. I had to pay $4.99/lb. for 75/25 ground beef, not ground chuck this morning.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Corn relish is good, I've made a recipe from a different book and don't know if it's suitable for canning. I'll need to check the Ph next time I make it, also compare to the Ball recipe. Never ate beet relish.
If you're paying what I have too or more for 80/20 burger you dropped a bundle there. I had to pay $4.99/lb. for 75/25 ground beef, not ground chuck this morning.
Holy smokes on the burger price. I'm seeing 80/20 anywhere from $3.25-3.99 with the pink slime tubes being cheaper. I don't buy it now though. It costs me an extra 50 cents for a roast, round, english, anything with little fat, so I buy that and grind myself adding a bit of fat from brisket or anything else that I needed to trim.

I'd say I'm about breaking even, I at least know that I'm eating actual meat and fat without bone dust, filler, and workers pissing in the grinder because they're having a bad day.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Holy smokes on the burger price. I'm seeing 80/20 anywhere from $3.25-3.99 with the pink slime tubes being cheaper. I don't buy it now though. It costs me an extra 50 cents for a roast, round, english, anything with little fat, so I buy that and grind myself adding a bit of fat from brisket or anything else that I needed to trim.

I'd say I'm about breaking even, I at least know that I'm eating actual meat and fat without bone dust, filler, and workers pissing in the grinder because they're having a bad day.
I got this for $3.50
Well this is the Houston, Tx area, ain't nothin' cheap. Even those 3 and 5lb tube Kroger sells are about the same price. They aren't the pink slime stuff but don't have a particularly good flavor IMO. I'm familiar with the local Kroger store ground beef, it's trimmings and might have laid on the floor a while. I used to work in that meat dept. a few days a week.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Well this is the Houston, Tx area, ain't nothin' cheap. Even those 3 and 5lb tube Kroger sells are about the same price. They aren't the pink slime stuff but don't have a particularly good flavor IMO. I'm familiar with the local Kroger store ground beef, it's trimmings and might have laid on the floor a while. I used to work in that meat dept. a few days a week.
We're a long ways from Kroger or any national chain. We get what the local chains have. I do know that the guy I trained to replace me had worked in the meat department of one of the local stores and refused to buy any sausage that they made.

Honestly though I don't think it was any worse meat that a national brand and I liked their seasoning better.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
The only tubes that we see here are 10lb and can go from 2.49-3.29 and are always 50-60 cents cheaper than a bag of ground burger. They also taste like ****. I don't mind the extra fat in them, but damn they push it way beyond the limits of what I want.

Pretty sure that the stuff that they call 80/20 is more like 50/50.

Well 40/40/20 as in 40% meat 40% fat and 20% water or whatever they put into it.

·
I have control issues
6,383 Posts
Went on a commissary run to get husband the flavored (NON-carbonated) water he likes as well as a few other things. For the first time in MONTHS, they had canning lids - ONLY wide mouth, and they were down to 7 packages. I took 4 (leaving 3 for the next customer(s) - didn't want to be greedy.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
Went on a commissary run to get husband the flavored (NON-carbonated) water he likes as well as a few other things. For the first time in MONTHS, they had canning lids - ONLY wide mouth, and they were down to 7 packages. I took 4 (leaving 3 for the next customer(s) - didn't want to be greedy.
We always lay off what we would normally buy when there is a shortage on something too. We have stuff at home and are just replacing stock, some people really need this stuff.

Is it their own fault? Yup. But We aren't going to take from people that need something while the world is still mostly civil.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
The only tubes that we see here are 10lb and can go from 2.49-3.29 and are always 50-60 cents cheaper than a bag of ground burger. They also taste like ****. I don't mind the extra fat in them, but damn they push it way beyond the limits of what I want.
I can glance at those slime tubes (ck'n prices) and then hear the grrrrr from the wife behind me.
I think if I ever even stopped by that area in the slime cooler, I'd get whacked over the head. 🙃 :rolleyes:😁:unsure:😁

Last time I fondled one of those ten # tubes, was at our butchers. I was curious, looking in depth. Tag on the cooler door listed them as dog food. 😂

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
I can glance at those slime tubes (ck'n prices) and then hear the grrrrr from the wife behind me.
I think if I ever even stopped by that area in the slime cooler, I'd get whacked over the head. 🙃 :rolleyes:😁:unsure:😁

Last time I fondled one of those ten # tubes, was at our butchers. I was curious, looking in depth. Tag on the cooler door listed them as dog food. 😂
Thinking back on when these hot dogs were on sale as well as looking at them I and my wife both believe that they were Oscar Mayer Beef hot dogs. So far they grill up great although with the texture of Vienna Sausages. Can't have everything and I expect them to be soft. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hey, no fair chewing on them before they are done. 👀 😂😀

46261 - 46280 of 46499 Posts