Survivalist Forum banner

42361 - 42380 of 42721 Posts

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,573 Posts
pvs-14 nvd arrived

woohoo..

white phosphorus tube is awesome..

bought from https://readymaderesources.com/ folks there were awesome...

get em while you can..

ps..i have a lopro skull cap and a bump helmet already and ordered a wilcox g11 mount too..

will not use skull crusher...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I plan on ordering some longer hinge screws (mine are only 1/2”) for the door .
To make sure the wood does not split, drill a lead hole first. About 1/8” diameter would be good for screws that are used for door hinges (#8 to #12 screws).
It seems to me that screws hold better when using a lead hole opposed to just driving them in.

·
Premium Member
10,814 Posts
To make sure the wood does not split, drill a lead hole first. About 1/8” diameter would be good for screws that are used for door hinges (#8 to #12 screws).
It seems to me that screws hold better when using a lead hole opposed to just driving them in.
Pilot hole 1st, then dip the crews in a good glue, then screw the glue dipped screws in the pilot holes, which will help solidify everything involved.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nothing major today so far, but it will probably be more of an organizational day, which I view as being just as important as, if not more so, than acquiring new items. Progress is being made in renovations, with one room nearly finished, so I can start putting some things back where they belong, and figuring out what I still need to get for various places.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not a specific prep, but I think the electricians are finally coming to put in an outside outlet for the pool pump. We have been running it off an extension cord up to the deck since early July when I had him quote adding this outlet.

Why are they coming now finally? The outside outlet we were using shorted out last night while we were plugging and unplugging to do a backwash. With it dead, the garage lights and outlets it feeds back to are out also. Started to change it myself but the outlet is backstabbed wired and the wire is too short to get it out enough to release the cables and too short to cut any off of. Sometimes i want to find the crew that built our house and put them in as much pain as their short-cutted, half arsed, but hidden work has given me. If I wire something, I fold up a a few inches of wire in the box for this reason, but they were building fast and cheap when they did this house and several on this road.

Really not mad at the electrician for taking so long, He is the only one that would even call me back. The several others I called could not even be bothered for that. Plus, I know his company and they stay busy because they do good work at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gotta video them too for insurance in case of a home fire. Happened to a buddy in Columbus.
And even if you have them in a safe, plan to lose them if it is a fire of any size or duration. Buying a better safe really only gives you extra insurance through the safe company when it happens. I knew a guy that had a really big nice long term fire rated safe. When his house burnt and they were able to get to the safe to open and empty it, the wood stocks on the guns had turned to charcoal and the plastic ones had melted. So the videoing is a good is so you can really prove what was in there as recognizing it might be a hard deal.

They did get this guy his money between the safe manufacturer and home insurance, but unfortunately some of those guns are almost impossible to replace, let alone the sentimental value.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Finished two days of a retirement (still relatively far off) and financial planning seminar, that should be helpful regardless of whether things get much worst or not in the coming months.

Two IFAKs that I ordered online arrived recently. Will need to pack the kits and start reading about how to use them, at least until I can get some real training.

42361 - 42380 of 42721 Posts