Survivalist Forum banner

42241 - 42260 of 42779 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Having started to stock up on food in February/March in anticipation of the pandemic lockdowns, I have been continuing to do so in preparation for the upcoming elections and any further pandemic lockdowns (whether due to its severity or government restrictions that impact the supply chain). While I might pick up a few more cans of beans and soup broth to fill out my supplies, I started yesterday to cook food that I hadn't tried before and think that I'll need to continue that trend leading up to the election. While I could live off of a Spartan regimen of beans, rice and other basics, I'm really trying to focus on maintaining a working pantry that will be eaten and rotated.

I got a light for one of my rifles today (might get another for a pistol) and ordered two more IFAKs to round out my current one. I have begun to pack an IFAK whenever I go to the range, but will carry it whenever I go hunting and during most forays away from home.

I have been following up with friends and sharing information with them about the probable unrest leading up to and after the election. It was a good opportunity to check in on them and get feedback on how they are doing. I will be attending a retreat in early October where I will have the opportunity to discuss current events with like minded friends, which will also factor short to long term preparations and networking.

·
I have control issues
5,896 Posts
Got notified my 24.8 cu ft chest freezer is FINALLY in, and will be delivered on the 26th. Saturday will have to rearrange some things in the "pantry container" to make room for it. After it's here and in place, will be moving meats from the other freezers (smaller chest freezer, upright, and freezer section of refrigerator) Once I have things in and have some freezer space, will be doing in 2 or 3 extra roos and sending them to "freezer camp."

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Ordered a pol to QCC adapter and a 12 foot extension hose so I can hook up the 100 pound propane tank to the smoke generator for the smoke house. Finished taping the joints on the smoke distribution manifold and hooking up the solar to the inverter/batttery bank for lights and fans.
Are you setting up equipment to create a smoke screen around your house. Or a meat smoking house?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
All working guns require a light, IMO. And a sling or holster. Without those, it's just a range gun you might use for other things.
Since we cannot carry up here and have to deal with fairly stringent storage requirements, that would explain why a light hadn't even gotten on my radar after decades of shooting. I have been pulling out my slings and holsters as well and may need to get one or two more slings to round things out.

The next thing might be wearing a plate carrier at the range to practice mag changes and getting used to using the mag pouch with my current gear.

Thankfully we are somewhat insulated from violence in the US and are probably going to be more effected by supply chain disruptions in our stores, so I would be more focused on more immediate priorities like getting rid of our current government, but I like to prep for all things.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,677 Posts
Are you setting up equipment to create a smoke screen around your house. Or a meat smoking house?
Smoke house, the smoke generator runs through a manifold to 4 reclaimed smokers in the upper room and they vent to the room to provide for cold smoking.

Attachments

·
Stop YOLOing
3,163 Posts
The next thing might be wearing a plate carrier at the range to practice mag changes and getting used to using the mag pouch with my current gear.
Definitely a good idea to train with the gear you plan to use. E.g., one big reason for the current popularity of the isosceles stance is because most people can't get into a proper Weaver stance with body armor. Knowing that before go-time, when you can retrain if necessary, would be helpful.

However, normalcy bias aside, almost no citizen gun uses require reloads (unlike police and military). Most conflicts are resolved after a few shots. Even when adrenaline causes the defender to empty the magazine, the encounter was likely resolved after a few shots.

Also, the first shooter to hit their target usually wins.

That means most of your training time should be focused on time to first hit, with very little dedicated to mag changes. At least in the beginning. Once your time from holster to effective hit is around 1-1.5s, maybe then focus more on expanding into other skills. Not saying not to train on reloads, but keep the proportion of effort focused on what's likely to have the biggest payoff if you actually have to use your skills.

JMHO. Everybody has opinions on this stuff. Some are more data-driven than others.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely a good idea to train with the gear you plan to use. E.g., one big reason for the current popularity of the isosceles stance is because most people can't get into a proper Weaver stance with body armor. Knowing that before go-time, when you can retrain if necessary, would be helpful.

However, normalcy bias aside, almost no citizen gun uses require reloads (unlike police and military). Most conflicts are resolved after a few shots. Even when adrenaline causes the defender to empty the magazine, the encounter was likely resolved after a few shots.

Also, the first shooter to hit their target usually wins.

That means most of your training time should be focused on time to first hit, with very little dedicated to mag changes. At least in the beginning. Once your time from holster to effective hit is around 1-1.5s, maybe then focus more on expanding into other skills. Not saying not to train on reloads, but keep the proportion of effort focused on what's likely to have the biggest payoff if you actually have to use your skills.

JMHO. Everybody has opinions on this stuff. Some are more data-driven than others.
I agree 100%
In any fight, whether it is a fist fight or a nuclear strike or anything in-between, the guy who makes the first hit almost always wins.

·
Totus tuus
960 Posts
Received my first bag of non-GMO, Heirloom non-hybrid vegetable seeds today. First time I've ever ordered these. I'm going to order a couple of other brands too and hopefully some will work when the time comes.

Also broached the subject of moving into the same town with some of my red-state relatives. They said they'd be delighted for us to move there. Feels really good to hear that!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Received my first bag of non-GMO, Heirloom non-hybrid vegetable seeds today. First time I've ever ordered these. I'm going to order a couple of other brands too and hopefully some will work when the time comes.

Also broached the subject of moving into the same town with some of my red-state relatives. They said they'd be delighted for us to move there. Feels really good to hear that!
It is interesting to note that the cheap gardens seeds sold at Dollar Tree are almost all non-hybrid vegetable seeds

·
Registered
471 Posts
Picked up 6 of these in the store. apparently the deal online said 1 per household but i didn't know, since i was in-store.

$2 for a powerbank.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/615767/inland-usb-a-2,600-mah-power-bank---white
I wonder if you plugged a bunch of these together would they work in series? Basically like building them into a much longer running battery pack. Not like it would run your house, but would be more for a long lasting very low volt power source. Might possibly run a tiny radio or such.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My prep for the day is I finally committed to tracking my caloric intake and exercise in an app to get me a real honest perspective on how I can get healthier. Also it somewhat shames me into eating less. May even force me to do more purposeful exercise.

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
I wonder if you plugged a bunch of these together would they work in series? Basically like building them into a much longer running battery pack. Not like it would run your house, but would be more for a long lasting very low volt power source. Might possibly run a tiny radio or such.
You would want to run them in parallel to increase amperage as long as they are at the voltage you need.

42241 - 42260 of 42779 Posts