Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post in the "Current Flu" thread got me to wondering about breathing masks. Anyone with some experience and know on the subject are appreciated.

What types of masks do you stockpile and what application are they good for?

Here are some situations that I would figure we need masks for:

-Heavy air particulates (similar to what was needed when the Towers fell on 9/11)
-Radiation fallout - I know some about this, I work at a facility that produces radiation
-Contamination due to bad water
-Biological/Chemical attacks
-Disease
-????

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Israeli M-15 Gas Mask for serious threats. Depends on what you are guarding against as to which filter to use. If it just the flue (nothing killer that is) then a t-shirt or a cotton mask like they wear in Japan should do.
Review of the M-15

·
Registered
80 Posts
the type of filtration is more to do with the type of filter, rather then the mask.most commercially available masks are made specifically for a purpose, aerosols, dust particals etc.

heavy air particulates and fallout are pretty much the same, there dust particals floating in the air so any type of mask would protect against this, even thought obviously some would be better then others. (in an emergency a damp t-shirt can be used)

chemical attack would most proberly be by dust particals or areosols so the filter should have a membrane to stop aerosols, like the ones used for professional car spraying. A layer of activated carbon in the filter would also filter out most chlorine and organic toxic gases (like sarin). (im not 100% but i think silver is sometimes added to inactivate virus's)

usually the filter would have the areosol filter, then the activated carbon, then the dust filter to make sure dust from the carbon doesnt get inhaled.

the technology is similar to that used by water filters that filter bacteria and protozoa, they usually use a pleated glass fiber and activated carbon filter.

obviously a military grade filter would be best (the serious ones, not training ones) butthe best commercially available filter (in my opinion) would be a ABEK-P3

A= organic gases and vapours with boiling points higher then 65 degrees C
B= inorganic gases and vapours
E= sulphur dioxide and other acidic gases and vapours
K= ammonia and organic ammonia derivatives
P3= high efficiency particulate dust filter

not sure if there available in the US but a UK company called JSP ltd. make some good ones.

as for the mask, im only familiar with the AVON S10, they come in different sizes so ya need to make sure you get the right size and to be effective you cant have any stubble or the mask wont make a vacumed seal against your face!!

·
Banned
156 Posts
A post in the "Current Flu" thread got me to wondering about breathing masks. Anyone with some experience and know on the subject are appreciated.

What types of masks do you stockpile and what application are they good for?

Here are some situations that I would figure we need masks for:

-Heavy air particulates (similar to what was needed when the Towers fell on 9/11)
-Radiation fallout - I know some about this, I work at a facility that produces radiation
-Contamination due to bad water
-Biological/Chemical attacks
-Disease
-????

Thanks!
Just go with a good old issued one from Uncle Sam and I am covered.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...What types of masks do you stockpile and what application are they good for?...
I have 20 N95 respirators for smoke or heavy particulate (a couple in each BOB and the rest in a larger storage container/tub.

100 surgical masks - for more mundane dust issues.

Allan

·
Registered
80 Posts
an anthrax bacteria or spore has a size of about 1 micron, most biological particulate filters filter as small as 0.3 microns which is the same as most water filters. Although the carbon in water filters is normally a fine powder, granules are used in air filters to make it easier to breathe.

The N95 masks are great for decorating round the house and will obviously be better protection then then breathing in normal unfiltered air but if your going to buy masks in advance and keep them for an emergency it makes more sense to store the best ones you can get/afford rather then wish you did when its too late.
The N95 is just a particle filter. the N95 "odour control" contains a membrane which helps to keep out mists and vapours so would be better for the job but definately not suitable for NBC conditions, altho it could be used to keep out dust like during a building collapse.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
We have four masks. Two are old surplus isralis, and the other two are msa reseperators. We have different class filters for the msa masks, depending on what we are reacting to. Our problem last year was having a 7000 acre forest fire blow back on us. 7000 acres of smoldering poison oak smoke blowing in your face teaches you the importance of a good resperator. Our filters are split equally between organic vapor and particulate. The masks were $10 each a decade ago, and I still have boxed filters for them. The msa masks were $24 each with our work discount, and after trashing a few of my particulate filters bringing paint at work, they gave me half a dozen replacements.

Let me also say this. You do not need to wait for shtf to break these guys out. Painting, sanding, cutting osb or other composite or pressure treated wood, heavy smoke, dry wall sanding, bad cologne. These are safety devices, and while I don't carry them like I carry goggles, ear plugs and gloves, I know when I should be wearing one, and know what a difference it makes. Four hours of cutting and laying osb sub flooring is enough to give you one heck of a resperatory inflamation, and it lasts for days! If the poison oak smoke taught me the lesson, the osb lung drove it home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think he actually meant the M-95 ProMask (the military model good for chemical and biological weapons, and radiation alpha particles.
It's also capable of working with a camelbak hydration system so that you can drink with the mask on.
--Wintermute
yer you dont wanna get the N95 and the M-95 mixed up and get the wrong ones!!!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
=)
123 Posts
TacomaJPP...My best advice to you is stick with US Military Masks.Stay away from the russian copys of the M17. Theres lots of pros and cons on both sides and it also depends on your budget! I see older M17 series(includesM17,M17A1,M17A2) masks going for as little as $10 to $25 bucks. M17's are very easy to identify because they have no drinking tube.M17A1's and A2's have the drinking tube.The A1 also has a corragated white tube inside for recessitation of a vic. in a chemical environment.(if you have the black rubber attachable outside hose to go with it)They have 2 cheek filters which are a bit tricky to change.NOTE:Black ring filters are for training only,gold CS gas,green all known chemical and bio agents.
If you have a bit more money you can get the newer M40/42 or MCU series.All have drinking tubes. MCU's are full face masks and have better vision then the two lens of the M40/42's all use a 40mm nato thread filter easy to change out...stick with the US filters C2A1's in my opinion. If you need more info just write me =) I also have many extra new(sealed) hoods for the M17series and some (hard to find~~>)green laser protective len outserts too.
Poison~~~~~~>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts