Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Combat Veteran
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you pack when traveling long distances? I recently traveled 2600 miles around trip and quickly realized it would be easy to pack so much gear that there would be no room for luggage or people.

So here is what I took.

1. (Handgun) my trusty Glock 26 and two loaded clips. Plus One box of 50 Federal hydrashok bullets.
2. (BOB) including first-aid kit, hunting knife, bed rolls for family and wet weather clothing
3. 3 days worth of food for each of the family.
4. 8 gallons of water
5. cooler with 20 pounds of ice
6. Maps that covered travel route and GPS
7. AR-15 with 200 rounds of ammo.
8. I also identified safe areas where relatives and friends lived along the route and plugged them in as way points in case I had to hump it cross
country.

I'd like to here other ideas to make my next trip safer for my family and myself

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Sounds like you did everything right, thats pretty much all I do.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would take a small tool kit for basic automotive repairs=screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, vise grips, fix-a-flat, tire plug kit. Also an N-95 mask for each person, probably already in the BOB. An empty coffee can and cover in case a potty stop in needed during a long traffic jam. With any luck you can put the tools in a tent stake bag inside the coffee can.
Good job setting priorities!

·
Ironic, isn't it?
155 Posts
VERY interesting topic. That kind of distance presents so many challenges! It would take me a week to figure out what I needed to take, and even then I'd probably be way off. What kind of food did you take? Three days of food for a family is huge by itself. Being a gun guy, I think I'd bring more ammo for the ar as it can be used for hunting and defense.

·
keep your powder dry
314 Posts
Over the next 3-4 days, I'll be taking a camping and hiking trip, around 400 miles the whole way (via car). Im bringing my car BOB, my car's water box (about 10 bottles), a trunk gun and ammo (20gauge single shot), my dad's S&W 642, and various gear and food/shelter items for the hiking and camping.

I dont think I'd take anything extra if I was going a longer distance, maybe an extra gas can or two, and maybe some food in the trunk. Just figured I'd give you an idea of some of the stuff I'd bring on a long road trip ...

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I travel a lot to gun shows. I take my handgun, BOB which contains my rifle, my suitcase which contains food for breakfasts which I eat at the motel and lunches which I eat at the show. I carry a bag of tools, spares for the truck, tire patches and an inflator/charger. I also take an electric cooler, so I can have drinks on the road and to keep milk cold for breakfasts. I carry 2-3 12 packs of soda for caffeine. If I have room, and I usually do, I put a 5 gallon container of water in with the cargo. The van has work gloves, and usually some cold weather gear in it.

Some of my gun show paths also have caches nearby because they're part of one of my backup bugout plans. So I guess it would depend on where I was when it went down as to how well equipped I'd be.

Between food in the BOB and snacks and food in the suitcase, I'd be OK for a couple weeks. As usual, water would be the hard part. But if I could find a source, the BOB has a filter and tablets. If I could get to a cache, I could go a lot longer. Some of my "driving" caches contain fuel.

My biggest worry is breaking down with my cargo. I had the cargo compartement rekeyed so it doesn't use the same key as the cab doors and ignition. At least I can take it to the shop without as much worry. I did break down once, so that fear is realistic. Luckily it was a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did a lot of this type of traveling myself, most of the time I was the only individual in the vehicle. Here are some items I added to the standard repair items if you do not already have:

*Extra fluids (anti-freeze and oil is definite, wiper fluid)

*In addition to the standard temp tire (donut) you find on most cars and a tire repair kit (plugs, etc...) I added a second temp tire and another full size rim with tire for my vehicle I had a suituation where 2 tires went flat and one completely blown at the same time but I made it home because of what I had.

*JB Weld (Same my but many times)

* 2-3 Five gallon gas containers (always at least one was completely full, if I had trip taking me through areas where I might not his gas stop for a good length I would keep 2 full)

*Square wood plank at least 12"x12x1" for my jack for stability

*Cheap door mats I find at Home Depot and Lowes they take up little space and have helped me with traction during snow season.

Hope this helps...be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.