Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm already stockpiled a good portion of guns and ammo (Rifle, pistol and 1000 rounds for each). Now I'm looking at acquiring the necessary items for surviving (or hiking) in the wilderness for an extended period of time (over a month).

The the total weight of the backpack must not be over 50 pounds, since the total weight of my weaponry and ammo won't be over 25 pounds.

I have a military background so I can deal with the psychological issues, however I only was able to use equipment I was issued. I've always known that if I had a budget to buy my own equipment, that they would be more better, more reliable, and cheaper (as compared to what the sell in army surplus stores). And we had to carry alot of equipment that we never used, and the chances we would be in a situation that we would ever use them were very very low.

Things I know I'm going to need is listed below, if I'm leaving anything out that would you would be consider 'essential,' and can reasonably be carried in a backpack.

*Large waterproof backpack.
*All food/clothing to be in waterproof bags.
*Heavy Duty, Waterproof, Sleeping Bag. (Stored outside of backpack)
*Inflatable pillow.
*Axe
*Shovel
*Mini-fishing rod & necessary lures and hooks.
*Survival few other books to help maintain my sanity :)

And let's say I'll have one of these 170+ piece survival kits as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170-piece-S...ltDomain_0&hash=item45fceec37d#ht_4416wt_1163

Short list, I know but I didn't want to make this OP 10 pages long for all the items that are common sense to bring.

All additional input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
That kit from eBay looks to be a waste of money, particularly the knife. Skittles. Really?

Swap your axe for a hatchet or a machete.
Swap your shovel for an ET.

Food.
Water (and the means to purify/filter/boil it).
Shelter (hootchie, tent, poncho).
Fire (lighter, fire steel, tinder).
Self defence if you're that way inclined.
Bible if you're that way inclined.

Hell, I'm not religious and I've got a bible sitting 4' from me right now.

·
IT'S A MADHOUSE!
1,191 Posts
figure out a "plan" on where you would be going in an emergency situation, take in seasonal weather, transportation, and other issues that will help you decide what you need. If you are taking others with you, and length of stay and things like that. Good luck and have fun with it. You may even try doing a practice bug out to see what works and what dosen't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That kit from eBay looks to be a waste of money, particularly the knife. Skittles. Really?

Swap your axe for a hatchet or a machete.
Swap your shovel for an ET.
Agreed that most of the kit is crap. I have my own knife and food. But what about the rest of the kit, still crap overall?

I might switch out the axe for a hatchet, it would be lighter. Depends on if I'm over my 50 pound limit.

I meant a shovel with a shortened handle. I hate ETs, I've had dozens of them broke on me in the field.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Agreed that most of the kit is crap. I have my own knife and food. But what about the rest of the kit, still crap overall?
Here's a list of what I think is crap in that list.

14 Function Pocket Tool (it's more than likely cheap Chinese crap, get a decent one)

10 in 1 Outdoor Survival Mini Kit (again, crap. Why do you need a hygrometer, ruler, spirit level? My Leatherman has a ruler)

Self-Powered Emergency Radio/Flashlight/Cell Phone Recharger ($30+ in the stores and on eBay) (again, looks like cheap Chinese crap)

11 in 1 Multi Tool (credit card size) (about as useful as tits on a bull)

Survival Can
• Tin Can (water tight)
• Emergency Whistle
• Emergency Candle - 6 hour (there's another kit below that has two candles in it already)
• Stainless Surgical Blade
• Compass (more than likely cheap Chinese crap)
• Waterproof Matches
• Duct Tape (36") (there's a whole roll listed further down)
• Survival Guide
• Saftey Pins (3)
• Wound Closure Strips (5)
• Aluminum Foil
• Plastic Water Bag
• Fishing Line (50')
• Fish Hooks (4)
• Sinker Weights (4)
• Snare Wire (8')
• Emergency Cord
First Aid Kit (37 pieces)
• Reusable Case
• 3/4" x 3" plastic bandages (10)
• 3/8" x 1 1/2" plastic bandages (10)
• Gauss pads 2" x 3" (4)
• Alcohol pads (3)
• Butterfly Closure (1)
• Cotton Tips (10)
550lb Type III Commercial Paracord Army Digital Camo 50 Feet

Sewing Kit
1 Stainless Steel Tactical Folding Pocket Knife with belt/pocket clip (Frost Cutlery Brand)
1/2 Liter Bottle of water (2) (a litre of water is nowhere near enough)
1 Large Candy (Starburst, M&M's, Snickers or of the sort)
10 Zip Ties
1 word cross book (misc. titles)
1 pack of 50 cotton swabs
1 Emergency Sleeping Bag (you've already got a sleeping bag)
1 Emergency Blanket
1 Emergency Poncho's
Durable Disposable Face Masks (10)
Nitril Disposable Powder Free Exam Gloves (5 pair - Medical Quality - better than laytex)
1 bottle1 of Hand Sanitizer
Super Glue (1 bottle inside a case)
Thumb Tac (1 - in super glue case)
2 Tissue Packs
1 Mini Notebook
1 Large Sharpie Permanent Marker
1 Pen
1 Pencil
3 5.5+ hour candle (burn faster if burning out in the open)
2 lightsticks 6"(twelve hour) (get a decent torch)
1 Ready Light Flash Light with 2 LED's (no batteries, squeaze to charge. 1 minute of charging gives 15 to 20 minutes of power) (get a decent torch)
1 boxes Matches (32) (there's already one lot of matches up above. Get an alternate means of lighting a fire)
wipes (4 in indavidual packages)
1 Rolls of Duct Tape (60')
1 Pack of Chewing Gum (really? why?)
Hard Candy (5 assorted flavors)
1 Tampon (not enough)
1 Maxi Pad

This bloke is just doing this to make money, not to actually help people with quality gear.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Also Need To Know Exactly Where You Are Going

Heading for the hills SOUNDS OK, but exactly where? You also need to downsize your carry items/weight. Knowing where and how you are going helps with your basically good BUG OUT plan.

If you KNOW where water can be had/resupplied then you can carry less. One would need at least primary source and two backup sources. Carry less water but more purifiers and empty containers.

To save more weight, we are talking freeze dried food. What happens when that runs out? Can you "make meat" and live off the land. I can't in SW Oregon. Have you cached yet? Planning too?

Excellent answers already given. Got toppo maps? Airplane pilot maps? You might be carrying too much fire iron. Lighten/downsize your weapon and ammo load. Bug netting? Going "Solo" is difficult. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Food- how many days? 5 MRE can last 5 days... for extended, have means to get more- traps and snares and fishing( think fish trap or net and trot line, not pole)....

Clothes- under-X2, over-layers, short and long sleeve- 2 short, 2 long sleeve tees, 2 zip off pants. Windbreaker w/ hood

Water- means to collect and boil and store- metal container, bladder

Fire- several ways - bic lighters, matches, ferro rod, mag steel

FAK- from band-aides to anti-biotic ointment to pepto bismol to kaopectate to pain killer to allergy....

Compass, just to have fun with

Lites- headlamp, and LED lites and I like tea candle lamps....

books- survival handbook and Bible and a good PAW fiction book.

TP-couple rolls

Rain gear- pancho. 6' X 6' square of Visqueen for ground cloth or whatever( to collect water)

Cordage- para, but also some twine..I like braided construction line and electrician pull line, to pull wire thru conduit, for all the small stuff.

Good camp knife, machete and saw......

Pistol and ammo, maybe short rifle......

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I would drop 900 rounds of pistol ammo. Thousand rounds for your battle rifle is a good battle load. At 22 rifle or pistol with 1000 rounds or so would be an amazing addition to your pack.

A 22 as a small report, bullets are cheap and light, and can bring down a deer if necessary.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Hmmm....

First you acquire firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo.

THEN you start thinking about your bug out bag? Methinks you have it backwards.

And unless you plan to leave most of that ammo behind or it is all rimfire, good luck keeping the weapons/ammo/accessories under 25 lb.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
that kit kinda looks like a oddlots or dollar tree buyout. If you only had 1/2 that stuff but better stuff you would be better off. and a lot of that stuff you probably already have, just not in their own stay fresh pouches.
the first aid kit is nothing, and anything sold as Emergency usually means "One Time"
None of the cutting tools look very good, why would you want someone else to pick out your choice of candies and nicknacks? for $100 you could get better stuff just shoping around I think. You can get a Coghlans emergency survival kit at Wal-Mart with a bunch of that smaller stuff already in it for $20. just sayin'

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm already stockpiled a good portion of guns and ammo (Rifle, pistol and 1000 rounds for each). Now I'm looking at acquiring the necessary items for surviving (or hiking) in the wilderness for an extended period of time (over a month).

The the total weight of the backpack must not be over 50 pounds, since the total weight of my weaponry and ammo won't be over 25 pounds.

I have a military background so I can deal with the psychological issues, however I only was able to use equipment I was issued. I've always known that if I had a budget to buy my own equipment, that they would be more better, more reliable, and cheaper (as compared to what the sell in army surplus stores). And we had to carry alot of equipment that we never used, and the chances we would be in a situation that we would ever use them were very very low.

Things I know I'm going to need is listed below, if I'm leaving anything out that would you would be consider 'essential,' and can reasonably be carried in a backpack.

*Large waterproof backpack.
*All food/clothing to be in waterproof bags.
*Heavy Duty, Waterproof, Sleeping Bag. (Stored outside of backpack)
*Inflatable pillow.
*Axe
*Shovel
*Mini-fishing rod & necessary lures and hooks.
*Survival few other books to help maintain my sanity :)

And let's say I'll have one of these 170+ piece survival kits as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170-piece-S...ltDomain_0&hash=item45fceec37d#ht_4416wt_1163

Short list, I know but I didn't want to make this OP 10 pages long for all the items that are common sense to bring.

All additional input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum! This subject has been discussed a couple thousand times, is a sticky, and if you used the search feature you might have to retire from your job to have enough time to read all the threads in your lifetime.

Everyone has different needs anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts