Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks - I'm a bit late getting started but here's where I'm at.

* Food for approx 3 months (have some shopping to go but I'm comfortable)
* Hunting rifle and shotgun in hand (will buy more ammo tomorrow) - Still need a decent handgun but I'm looking....
* Water - good to go. Have a spring fed alke with a spring across the street
* Just bought an old pickup for basic travel - can be used as a bug out vehicle
* I have a bug out place to go (but that will be last resort)

Now, money is ort of an issue at the moment (yeah, I know but....)
1) Need med supplies
2) need light

Those are next on the list

What else am I missing to get the basics done??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
It sounds like you're off to a great start. I'd add communication to your list. Also, consider how you're limited when the power goes out.

Communications & Batteries, Scanner, Shortwave Radio, and Walkie-Talkies

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Water purifier or the means to boil water. The water's out in the open and subject to containing giardia and cryptosporidium, both parasites, neither fun to host.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Hey skud,

I'll answer your question with another question. What are the key scenarios you are preparing for? E.g., hurricane, job loss, NBC threat, socio-economic collapse, riots, etc.

Different scenarios require different preps (there is some crossover).

-Per.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
A good first aid kit, bleach and cleaning products.

If there is a SHTF scenario, public sanitation will suffer, rats and domestic waste will pile up increasing disease risk.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
A good first aid kit, bleach and cleaning products.

If there is a SHTF scenario, public sanitation will suffer, rats and domestic waste will pile up increasing disease risk.
Remember bleach has a shelf-life that's pretty short so be sure to rotate it OR increase the amount used to compensate. I have a bag of "pool shock" (calcium hypochlorite/powdered bleach) for long term water disinfection and tincture of iodine (5 drops/liter for 30 min.) for the short term and BOB... (tastes like crap, but doesn't degrade like bleach.)

Allan

·
Registered
70 Posts
don't skimp of decent flashlights for emergency use. I like the d cell mag lights with the led bulb, about 30 bucks each. For long term light I have several kerosene lanterns I bought from a company called WT kirkman, they are cool and use very little fuel, and kerosene stores for a loooong time.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I read on one of the answers, "imagine if there were 100,000 or so and out of food. Well, imagine if there were suddenly 100 million without power ? IF the grid were to go down and stay down, just think, no gas, no food being processed or delivered. No tv, computers, newspapers, trash pick up, sewage being processed. Look at florida when the news arrives that a hurricane is coming in. Within a few hours, the grocery and hardware stores are empty. Gas lines a mile long, which most will not get gas as the tanks will run dry before they get to the pumps.

I suppose what I am trying to say here, is that if your not preparred when something of great magnitude does hit, I hope your backs are in good shape as the only real option you will have left to you will be to bend over, insert head between legs and perish.

Everybody has their own ideas of what they need to do to be prepared for whatever is to come, but, water, food, shelter and defense are the first 4 things I prepare for and then re-newable power, so as long as the satalites are up , I can still use my computer, which is the information highway of the world.

I feel no need to attempt to find an available phone line, as they would me maxed out of exsistance within the first few minutes causing the phone sorting systems to crash, but the computer systems are designed to handle millions and millions of users all at the same time.

I have had a simple water collection system for a couple of years now, which is nothing more then a couple of 55 gal drums to collect water from the roof, which my wife uses to water her trees etc. I am about to build a large cystrin system from using about 6 of the 200 gal water type containers, which will then feed from a 12 volt water pump to a reverserse osmosis filter system which will be used for cooking and drinking only. The extra and what ever ground water avail. will be used for the raised bed gardens I am also building to grow staples such as tators , carrots, melons, corn etc as needed. My power is already started, using 12 kyocera 85 watt solar panels, going into two trace (xantrax now) 60 amp charge controllers , a 500 watt wind generator going into another 60 am charge controler, feeding 18 - trojan t-105 6 volt batters which then feed into my trace invertor and then of course into my house.

Ultimatly, I am saying " Be Prepared" the old Boy Scout Motto, as if your not, who will do it for you.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
OK folks - I'm a bit late getting started but here's where I'm at.

* Food for approx 3 months (have some shopping to go but I'm comfortable)
* Hunting rifle and shotgun in hand (will buy more ammo tomorrow) - Still need a decent handgun but I'm looking....
* Water - good to go. Have a spring fed alke with a spring across the street
* Just bought an old pickup for basic travel - can be used as a bug out vehicle
* I have a bug out place to go (but that will be last resort)

Now, money is ort of an issue at the moment (yeah, I know but....)
1) Need med supplies
2) need light

Those are next on the list

What else am I missing to get the basics done??
Thanks in advance
What are you using as an unobtrusive heat source for cooking and heating during those times when you might need to be invisible. Store fuel even it is only enough for a week or two. Assemble fuel cans that will not leak when driving with them. Start filling them and rotating them out every 6 mos.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
I buy a 4 pack of propane canisters for the Coleman stove every time I go to Sam's Club, usually once a month. $10, and we get several days of cooking out of each canister. The goal is a way to cook food, provide some warmth if need be, and do it in a way that doesn't generate scent or smoke for others to see. Spice your food after you cook it, and don't cook meat. Buy pre-cooked cans to mix into your boiled rice/veggies. You want your food to be scent free while cooking too.

Try to get your recipes together before you need to stealth cook.

Reactions: newberrie

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,484 Posts
Everybody has their own ideas of what they need to do to be prepared for whatever is to come, but, water, food, shelter and defense are the first 4 things I prepare for and then re-newable power, so as long as the satalites are up , I can still use my computer, which is the information highway of the world.
It's going to take a lot more than just the satellites. All they do is send signals from one part of the world to another. It's the ISPs, hubs, main servers and hosting sites that are the problem. It power is out, a lot of them will go down. Some will have backup generators and some won't. It doesn't matter if the hosts are up if the hubs needed to route to them are down. It won't matter if the entire thing is up, if our ISPs are down. And if the net is barely hanging together by a thread, I can easily see the government restricting access to it so they can use it without us overcrowding it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hello Mike. opps ! I have never even given that a thought, but I guess I owe you a beer on that one. But, since o great one is about to receive the ok from congress as we are chatting about this, they are about to give him the "kill" switch authority, which will allow him to cut all internet up to 4 months with no explaination at all. Guess , unless you are part of the old cb crowd, you and I will be out of communication of almost any kind.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
  • Figure out how much your new BOV can haul and truck bed dimensions. You might need to prioritize what you can take with you and what you'll leave if you do need to bug out. Do you have tie downs to secure everything?
  • Look at situations you might need to bug in for. You might want to store more than 3 months. If you decide on more, understand you might need to walk away from some of your stores if you need to bug out.
  • Buy some seeds so you can grow your own food. You might also want to look at medicinal herb seeds and some seeds to sprout.
  • Don't forget tools. You probably have most of what you need but you don't want to forget them.
  • Communications. See other posts
  • Some 'emergency' food, that is, food that you can open, eat cold, and possibly eat on the go (MREs would work, so would a lot of other foods).
  • Containers to hold your water. You may not be able to run to the spring whenever you're out.
  • KNOWLEDGE. Learn the skills you believe you'll need. It could be anything from raising chickens, processing animals, reading maps,...

You didn't mention a bug out bag. Do you have one? What will you do if you literally have 5 minutes to get out? (I'm not saying you need one; I'm saying you need to decide if you need one.)

Personally, I'm all about lists. We have checklists for everything just so we don't forget anything when we're under pressure. We even have a pack list for the truck that kids could follow. I want things as simple as possible in an emergency.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Hello Mike. opps ! I have never even given that a thought, but I guess I owe you a beer on that one. But, since o great one is about to receive the ok from congress as we are chatting about this, they are about to give him the "kill" switch authority, which will allow him to cut all internet up to 4 months with no explaination at all. Guess , unless you are part of the old cb crowd, you and I will be out of communication of almost any kind.
Geesh...then Gore would write another book. "An Inconvenient Internet...It's Mine & O Broke It."

Everyone should have a BOB, whether you actually plan to or not. Lots of info on this site as to what to put in it.

·
Banned
647 Posts
About the water-

I would either buy some bottled water or bottle it up at home. You should always have a good amount ready at a moment's notice that does not need any prep. I have three ponds, two wells, two springs, two yearlong creeks and a rain catchment system (all on property) and I still keep a *major* stash of bottled water.

Creeks and streams can be damned or contaminated upstream or otherwise inaccessible. Water is truly the be-all/end-all whether you're holed up at home, in a gov't camp or on the road.

And I like what Summer said about truck box dimensions. It makes it quicker and smoother to have an idea just what you can carry.

·
10,548 Posts
Extra Ammo for Weapons you don't own,(YET.) Face it, if it comes down to killing Bad Guys, your not just going to leave their Weapons with their bodies. :)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,484 Posts
  • Figure out how much your new BOV can haul and truck bed dimensions. You might need to prioritize what you can take with you and what you'll leave if you do need to bug out. Do you have tie downs to secure everything?

• On that same note, it's good to organize the most needed items in tote boxes. That way if for some reason you're forced to leave, you can grab them and load them much faster. I have mine organized by number. If there's a crisis, I grab #1 and start loading. The first ones contain the highest priority items. Things I absolutely need to survive. If I have time to load them all, fantastic! If not, I've at least been able to grab the things I need the most.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts