Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you are making a PVC cache tube. It is gonna be 6 inches in diameter and about 2 and half feet long. You are planting this is a rural place you have access to but you are going to bury it and leave it for several years so pick items that could last that long without any refreshing of the items. What do you pack?

Here is a little list of stuff I can think of off the top of my head. What would you think would be more important?

hack saw blade taped to outside
Small caliber handgun
ammo
extra clip
Swiss Army Knife
cash
Silver Ounces
Firesteel
Cotton
Small Fishing Kit

What say you?:rolleyes:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
You've still got a lot of space....Wheat is a possible addition... I am not a fan of multi-knifes or multi-tools... but I think a multi-tool would be better than a multi-knife. I would add a can of petroleum jelly, an empty stainless steel flask, a bottle of brandy...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
And you can have a screw-on/off top with one of the ends having a clean-out cap thingy. Still would need a large wrench or channel locks to open.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've still got a lot of space....Wheat is a possible addition... I am not a fan of multi-knifes or multi-tools... but I think a multi-tool would be better than a multi-knife. I would add a can of petroleum jelly, an empty stainless steel flask, a bottle of brandy...
I was thinking of SOME kind of food, but straight wheat might not be the best use for space. I hear you on the multitool, I will give that some thought. How about a small bottle of brandy like they give you on the airlines? How about a stainless steel cup? (Could cook with it in a pinch)

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
So you are making a PVC cache tube. It is gonna be 6 inches in diameter and about 2 and half feet long. You are planting this is a rural place you have access to but you are going to bury it and leave it for several years so pick items that could last that long without any refreshing of the items. What do you pack?

Here is a little list of stuff I can think of off the top of my head. What would you think would be more important?

hack saw blade taped to outside
Small caliber handgun
ammo
extra clip
Swiss Army Knife
cash
Silver Ounces
Firesteel
Cotton
Small Fishing Kit

What say you?:rolleyes:

I'm a novice in these matters, so what do I know but...

What's the situation where you'd be depending on this cache? I suspect the idea is that you've decided to beat feet from where you live/work to where you want to get to. You're tired, maybe wet, clothes are dirty, you're a bit hungry, but not overly so. You're traveling light 'cause you can only have so much stuff with you as EDC. I also assume your cache is mid-way on your trip, not at your end location. We'll also assume you do NOT want to be found so signalling gear is unnecessary.

If that's the case I think I'd want, in addition to your list:

compass
a change of socks
a warm/dry camo shirt
survival knife w/sharpening stone
a cup/pot of some kind to carry/boil water etc.
a basic FAK
a canteen and some water potability tablets
some insect repellent
small bar of soap
toothbrush
substantial poncho
wide brim boonie hat
couple cans of Spam or sardines
well packaged crackers
pack or bag to put it all in while continuing your travel

and if there's still room:
a small saw or hachet
small towel

Allan

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it would vary by location. The list is suited half to city and half to country with some bleed over. It would work good in the mixed type of enviroment. In a strict city or country enviroment half the list is pretty useless.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Josiah, am I smelling a new video coming?? BTW, I love your videos, they are great.

I would think some clothing, a good military poncho or two (not those cheapy ones), a wool blanket, a good fixed blade knife, maybe some rice and/or dried beans, toiletries (soap, toothbrush/paste, foot powder), a nice daypack to carry items (you may not have your BOB),

I think you may have quite a bit more room than you might expect in that 6inx21/2ft tube; so stuff whatever you can into it.

I would really like to see a video on this (hint, hint)!

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In looking at the various answers, a first it looked like another case of the kitchen sink syndrome. But in hind sight you could make two tubes and bury one on top of the other.

In the top tube bury stuff you would not mind loosing and in the bottle put the more critical things. Bury the deeper tube a good six inches lower (or even deeper) than the first. So if someone finds it, they may just stop with the first and move on.

As far as a video, you might be right. I did this several years a go for real. Had about 3 such tubes hidden. None were ever found or disturbed. If I was to do this again, I would want a few different things in there than I had before.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Josiah, how about a flash drive with all your videos, pictures, and copys of any important papers?
I carry something similar on me all of the time now. But keep in mind that I want to leave this buried for a few years before repacking it. Something like that would require updating with newer files all of the time.

·
V
21,713 Posts
I'd duplicate your EDC, add some food getting tools (fishing gear traps/snares).

I suppose it all depends on WHY your cacheing doesnt it? Supplement your stores/provisions on the move to BOL, Help Provision BOL, OMG I've lost everything and I'm on the run, sh!t happens better be rdy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Food in the tube could include:
MRE(s)
bullion cubes , sugar packets, tea bags, coffee , TP in small rolls.

I vacuum pack everything I put in a tube. I tried using a hair dryer blowing hot air into the tube totally drying it then sealing it . I seal the outside joints with black roof tar. After opening the tube years later, I could not find any difference between the hot air tube and one that the vac pack components were just put into and sealed.

Today I have two still in the ground . They each one contains:
sks, poncho, mre's , canteen w/ canteen cup , ammo, pilot survival knife , topo map of the area, fire starting kit, basic first aid kit , rifle cleaning kit , 50' para cord , one can spray carb cleaner to remove cosmoline from rifle.

All items are vacuum sealed ,except the rifle. It is in cosmoline.

The tube is schedule 40 6" PVC. I had at one time a 12 " PVC stash but decided it better to have two or three 4" or 6" tubes. Better insurance all your gear not lost if one tube found or damaged.
Some things to think about

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Include a map to your other caches. Why just bury one?
You know I have thought about this and have decided against it. And here is my thought. If someone lucked across this cache (or say they were searching for it and found it), they would now immediately know where all of my other caches are.

Now if you were to make a list but wrote it in code....

(Say like getting the GPS coordinates and adding 1 to each number then writing it in reverse or something like that. That would be harder for the average fellow to crack.) Think about that.

The other thought is just remember, but the scenery can change after several years so there is that danger too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts