Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'd like some practical advice on what gun I should get next. Currently, I have the following:

SA M1A SOCOM 16 (I bought this gently used and it was a great deal)
Remington 870 Express 12 Ga. 20" 7-shot pump
Ruger 10/22

I will have my pistol permit in about a week. I will definately be buying a CCW. My questions is what should I get in addition to the pistol. Keep in mind that because I am getting a pistol my budget will be somewhat limited in that I'd like to keep it <$1,000. I am considering the following:

1) Bolt-action rifle, such as Rem. 700, Browning X-bolt, etc.
2) Another 12 Ga. to use for trap shooting
3) Another M1A Standard model (Yes I am aware this would completely blow my budget)

Pros/Cons and other pertinant info:
I have not hunted in a long time, but would like to have a good bolt action for SHTF/lean times situation (I know people that could teach me).
The trap gun would be good because it would have me shooting on a regular basis - at least once a week.
I feel somewhat compelled to get another M1A before Barry decides that I can't have one.

The ONLY RULE I have is that I keep all guns (aside form hand gun) to 3 calibers max: 12 Ga (2 3/4), .22lr and 7.62x51mm/.308. So the Bolt action would need to work with Milt surplus. I know this has been rehashed and I even posted on it, but I noticed a recurring theme of SOME .308 Bolt actions having problems ejecting NATO rounds so that is a consideration.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Man this is all personal choice. With guns it is like saying do you like a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, Nissan, or Mercedes. I think you are going in right direction. You got a 22LR and that is good. Always consider getting a 22LR handgun as well. 22LR is still cheap to buy. A North American Arms 5 shot deringer is a great little gun for up close and personal. It is really a last resort item and if you have a concealed carry permit gives you an easy second gun for backup.

I have one M1A and they are great but you might consider buying back up parts for that rifle and as well as any gun you buy. Parts are going to be hard to get someday.

In practical terms hunting is not going to be any picnic when things go south. I would never consider hunting as my main source of food in a survival situation. Do you have a food budget set up as well? You will need to consider first aid and medical.

If you have to go with another rifle then you might want to consider a bolt gun but don't get caught up in the bull barrel issue. You will want to be lightweight if you are carrying it. I have a bull barrel 308 and it is heavy after a few miles on your shoulder.

Big thing is buy ammo now as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grin,

I understand this is a personal choice, but that is why I outlined my thinking on pros and cons for each situation.

I am thinking get the 12 Ga and just enjoy trap shooting. It will be the most enjoyable practice and in my area it is actually cheaper than going to the range.

The ammo thing is why myself and my family all keep everything in these calibers. Everything is interchangable.

I definately need to buy more ammo because you can never have too much.

I am being realistic and don't want to go all gun nutty because I want to have money left over other more important things like food, water, etc. Besides there is always the chance some or all of them will be confiscated.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Going in a little different direction, what caliber is your CCW going to be and would you consider a rifle or carbine in the same caliber as your CCW? If a 9mm then perhaps a Beretta Storm, Marlin Camp gun or Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (the KT's are avail for Beretta 92, S&W 59, Glock 19 & other magazines.) If ..38spl, 357Mag or .44Spl, then one of the lever action Cowboy carbines perhaps. Ruger makes a carbine in .40S&W as does Kel-Tec. Marlin made a Camp gun in .45acp and there are conversion kits to turn a 1911 into a short carbine...

Just a thought where if you're traveling light you'd have your CCW and a long gun using the same ammo so you're humping only one variety.

Allan

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Here is some other things you might want to consider....

1. Your ammo dump. Is it filled to a level that your comfy with vs. SHTF?
2. Spare parts kit, and spare mags for your mag fed weapons?
3. Funds for optics if you are planning on optics for any of your weapons.
4. In the event TSHTF, are you planning to arm anyone else with some of your weapons? (Family group, and/or close freinds?)
5. M1A, 22lr rifle, shotgun, or possibly another handgun in the same caliber as the one you are buying for CCW permit? 22lr handgun is another option. An additional option might be a carbine thats chambered for the same caliber as your handgun.
6. All other important survival preps covered?

FWIW, we use our M1A rifles exclusivley for hunting whitetails and hogs. The M1A will do it's part if you do yours..:thumb:

11B

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sale all that stuff and get a damn Arsenal ak-74 the best damn semi auto ak ever made and did I mention its accurate as hell and more reliable than a regular ak. And its made in America not some second hand militia rifle done over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.