Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to expect WTSHF…

First I personally like to use WIAGS: WHEN IT ALL GOES SOUTH but I figured not many may understand that so I went with the “standard” in this post title…

How many people remember the “Twilight Zone” TV show? There was an episode once about a friendly neighborhood that this block of people had card parties, cook out’s and one of them was a Dr that had looked over some of the children from the group.

During a weekly card party at the Dr’s house they had an emergency radio broadcast about a nuclear attack (Cold war era show) And everyone left going to their home to grab what they needed. The Dr had a “Bomb Shelter” in his basement with all the prepared survival items for him and his wife and son. They retreated there only to have everyone on the block that was at their card party come to try to get in.

For TV they ended up breaking the door down which in the real world that would not have been easy if not impossible because a bomb blast is much more powerful then a group of men with some wood…

However, the part that always stuck with me is the moral dilemma the Dr and his family had to go through listening to these people begging and pleading to get into the shelter. Each of them having a reason why they should be allowed in. The Dr telling them how they should have prepared instead of wasting money on this or that… That has always stuck with me, in fact it stuck with me so much I remember it this well after YEARS of seeing it.

So my question is: How will YOU handle such situation if it comes down to it… Are YOU in the right mindset to turn your back on lifelong friends, as cold as that seems for your own family survival? There is a lot to consider here but the main thing to remember is YOU cannot save everyone this way with your shelter or fall back area.

You CAN save them by showing them what and how you do your preparing and bigger WHY you do it. Getting them into boards like this or camping, fishing, opening their eyes showing them you are not just some “survivalist nut” but in fact you are being the best provider/protector you can be for your family. If nothing ever happens, so what you have stock in case of weather power outages and stuff like that. But if it does happen you can rest easy knowing you did everything you can for your family and for your friends in opening their eyes…

Good luck everyone…. :thumb:
“Gunner”
Arsenal of Democracy

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Gunner,

I understand your concern for other people. I have spent a lot of time breaking myself from that and it is still hard for me to just turn my back on others.

There is a level of discussion that you should not go past when talking to others about preparing and that level is when you are about to tell them about your preps. When someone/anyone knows about your preps, many, if not most of them will rationalize it and say that if SHTF they will just show up at your door and you cannot turn them down, etc.

I live in a lower middle class neighborhood. Among those, Ill bet most of them would see me as the poorest of those. I like it that way.

I drive an old fuel efficient (read small) car, and keep my yard up to a minimum standard , meaning I don't spend 1500 a year on lawn care, etc. Ill give my neighbor an extra 15 or 20 bucks to mow my 1/5th acre and be done with it.

No one ever comes into my house. If they did, they would see enough food to feed me and my family for a year, plus lots of "tools" and boxes marked 7.62X29, 223 Remington, etc on them.

Do I feel sorry for others? NO. They make more money than I do. They drive new cars. They eat out almost every night. They live hand to mouth and that is by THEIR CHOICE.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree, countryboy123. This may sound harsh, but I really have very few friends. I have lots of acquaintances, but trust few people enough to become friends. The friends and family that are close enough to me to even have a clue that I have prep supplies have some of their own and would be welcome (if they came to my door they'd be bringing their supplies with them). I don't think I'll have to worry about turning people away because they just don't know what I have.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Gunner,

I understand your concern for other people. I have spent a lot of time breaking myself from that and it is still hard for me to just turn my back on others.

There is a level of discussion that you should not go past when talking to others about preparing and that level is when you are about to tell them about your preps. When someone/anyone knows about your preps, many, if not most of them will rationalize it and say that if SHTF they will just show up at your door and you cannot turn them down, etc.

I live in a lower middle class neighborhood. Among those, Ill bet most of them would see me as the poorest of those. I like it that way.

I drive an old fuel efficient (read small) car, and keep my yard up to a minimum standard , meaning I don't spend 1500 a year on lawn care, etc. Ill give my neighbor an extra 15 or 20 bucks to mow my 1/5th acre and be done with it.

No one ever comes into my house. If they did, they would see enough food to feed me and my family for a year, plus lots of "tools" and boxes marked 7.62X29, 223 Remington, etc on them.

Do I feel sorry for others? NO. They make more money than I do. They drive new cars. They eat out almost every night. They live hand to mouth and that is by THEIR CHOICE.
well spoken, wshtf will be to late to sell that nice car ( not saying have to have old car i have newer car but can afford it and ammo and etc..) and stock up on the necassarys. but most people dont think like people on this forum, they probally think people like us are crazy. I know some people that know me ( family memebers and close friends) think Iam crazy for my aresenals, and my prepardness. Some started seeing what I see and are stocking up themselves. The ones that dont, when shtf I will only be worried about me and my family.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree, countryboy123. This may sound harsh, but I really have very few friends. I have lots of acquaintances, but trust few people enough to become friends. The friends and family that are close enough to me to even have a clue that I have prep supplies have some of their own and would be welcome (if they came to my door they'd be bringing their supplies with them). I don't think I'll have to worry about turning people away because they just don't know what I have.
agreed learned along time ago, friends usually turns to foes, hard to find real friends to me its only family and a couple of church buddies, I know I can trust.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Lol why was this posted in 2 different sections on the boards?
Heres what I replied with

Personally although I can see where you're comming from, I see the idea of showing people what preps Ive got steps Ive taken and why, as setting myself up as a bigfat target, much like the Dr and his family in the shelter

Ive only ever spoken to 2 friends about preping and my reasons why, one now lives in the states and the other died, BOTH thought I was going a little overboard and BOTH said but it'll never happen it'll never get that bad

Now I keep a low profile I think my mother inlaw has an idea she certainly knows what to buy me for christmas without ever asking but other than that everyone else is clueless and I like it that way I feel safer being grey

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
My husband and I know and are friends with 3 couples who are survivalists. Two of those have family way, way out in the country who will welcome us if/when the time comes. They know that we will not come empty handed or unprepared. Other than them, my family only knows that we have basic emergency items.

I've had to face the realization that I have family members whom I won't be able to help. I have begged and pleaded with them to just do the bare minimum of stocking up on food and water, using the logic that it might be only for hurricane preparedness. All of my warnings just fall on deaf ears.

It will be heart rending and tragic. In the end, living with myself and my decision will probably be the most difficult thing I'll ever have to do.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
for me, even now with the obvious signs all around us my father, mother (living seperatley) sister and her kids, my brother and his kids all refuse to buy even a little extra stuff. they just dont think life can change here in america. they know i prep, they think im crazy. but i can guess who will be knocking on the door looking for food. i want to, but i cant take care of everybody. im not sure what ill do really. if i can come up with the money, i want to at least buy everyone a simple rifle, like 10/22's all around, so at least they can shoot some critters for food and maybe stave off an attack etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
for me, even now with the obvious signs all around us my father, mother (living seperatley) sister and her kids, my brother and his kids all refuse to buy even a little extra stuff. they just dont think life can change here in america. they know i prep, they think im crazy. but i can guess who will be knocking on the door looking for food. i want to, but i cant take care of everybody. im not sure what ill do really. if i can come up with the money, i want to at least buy everyone a simple rifle, like 10/22's all around, so at least they can shoot some critters for food and maybe stave off an attack etc.
Yeah it’s gonna be hard at times turning away family members outside of the immediate family. What I have done is that they know I have the “basics” and I have told them to start getting food etc, even if it’s just the basics and even if it only lasts a fortnight (which is not much at all, but better than nothing hey). What I have done to stop any future awkwardness if they come asking for food is for each family unit (uncle, aunt, 2 cousins as one unit and grandparents as another unit etc) will have a box each. The box full of foods will last one week (2 weeks if really rationed). I am only doing this for the close family members that know I have the “basics” (don’t have to do this for my parents though, the are getting serious themselves now about prepping). This year is unconventional Christmas presents, yep a box full of foods. So at least when the SHTF and they haven’t fully come around to stocking up on food themselves they will have at least one weeks worth.

I have thought of the backlash of giving a Christmas present like that for the long run and if they do come to my house, I have a few Large shoebox size boxes, with a couple days worth of food which I’ll give them one. And I will tell them that I have only the basics myself and that I can’t support feeding more people than I have accounted for. But as I don’t want to see them suffering initially while they get through the immediate shock of WTSHTF, I will tell them I was prepared and planned ahead to initially help. And then after that initial stage I tell them that I only now help those that help themselves and hope they have a nice wake up call. The last part may seem cold, but it would be necessary.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good post, great idea's... That info/idea's may make it a little easier for some of us...

·
Fugitive Recovery Agent
553 Posts
Most of my family is gone now. It is just me, my daughter, my parrents, one grandfather, two uncles with two aunts and 5 causan.

Out of all of us, only my own daughter is on the outside looking in. At 21 years old she thinks dad has sniiffed to much gun powder over the years. Even her live in BF who is a hunter and sportman laughts at my BOB and room of rations. Everyone else has there own kits including: gas mask, BOBs, guns, ammo, and more. it is what my family does.

Friends: Well seems I never been really good in this area since every friend I ever had stabbed me in the back when i was not expecting it. Some examples include my best friend of 15 years. I was his boss at two different places. I took him to the top with me and protected him when he was in trouble with an owner. I personally stopped him from being fired or managed to bring him back afterwards 5 times in a ten yr span. Well turns out he not only know a week before I lost my managers job in 2008 that i was going to be let go, but he was waiting to be my replacement for half my pay. He lasted two months in my posistion and was fired. I refuse to speak with him today.

Then my second wife whom was rite on board with me, or so I thought. after 8 years of what seemed like a perfect relationship left me for someone she had been seeing for 6 months behind my back, but not before taking me for a 10,000 ride. The day after I spent that on her, she was gone.

Now just this week, a women that I have been dating for over two years has turned on me like Anorld. When I met her she was "going through a divorse" (lier) from her acclaimed abusive husband. She claimed she was scared of him. She even went to meetings for abused wifes that offer help to excape such marriges. Over the last 9 months under what she lead me to beleive was a cash flow hardship spot in her life. I helped her with monthly living expences to the tune of 11,000 dollars. Then in June I started questioning why her divorce was not finnal yet after all this time. She admitted she never filed even though she borrowed 1,200.00 from me and 4,000 from her mother to pay her atterny. She used thier Kids (20 and 17) as her excuse for all interactions with him. I quietly cut off my funding telling her that business was down and we would both have to tighten up the belts. With in a week she started running around with her a stranged husband while pushing me off to the side with lies and excuses. Now she tells me "to be honest him and I are getting along well". cheater. via text message

Sorry if I went south on this thread. Guess I am hurting more then I want to admit to my self. Hard for me to process how one can tell you "your my everything" one day and then a day later tell you "its just not working out"

Feeling bad for others won't be an issue as long as i can remember how others have always been "so good to me" !!!!!!

·
Contents Under Pressure
525 Posts
I have 7 family members to worry about. Besides them, I could really care less. It may sound cold, but that's what will keep us alive.

Pro-Pain

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Always give it an honest try with sheeple, (mainly a waste of time). Its with other preppers that it becomes frustrating. It all depend on what type of SHTF situation they worry about. Some of my friends worry most about a financial breakdown. They buy PM and ammo. Not so much food. I on ther other hand start with the basics needed for survival first. Though I try to get through to them (some are coming around). The best argument seems to be : If you have PM and someone else has enough food to sell who do you think will end up with the PM?
Every prepper has different priorities. Trying to get them to change them to what you feel is more rational is just as big a waste of time in most cases as talking to sheeple.
In the end all you can do is have a plan in mind to deal with it, and to make peace with your plan.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Proves a good point don't it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've learned thru trial and error, that broaching the subject of prepping and my overall stance on the world today is a delicate task. I've lost great friends, and had my family accuse me of having something "seriously wrong" with me. I think its impossible to reach everyone I love, as much as I'd like to. That being said, I carry on down my path, knowing what I do is done out of love for the future of my family.

For now, the best I can do is plan ahead for those I know inevitably show up on my doorstep who I will welcome with open arms. I've also started a "charity" section of supplies to give to those who I have to turn away.

·
Texas Country
152 Posts
What to expect WTSHF…

First I personally like to use WIAGS: WHEN IT ALL GOES SOUTH but I figured not many may understand that so I went with the “standard” in this post title…

How many people remember the “Twilight Zone” TV show? There was an episode once about a friendly neighborhood that this block of people had card parties, cook out’s and one of them was a Dr that had looked over some of the children from the group.

During a weekly card party at the Dr’s house they had an emergency radio broadcast about a nuclear attack (Cold war era show) And everyone left going to their home to grab what they needed. The Dr had a “Bomb Shelter” in his basement with all the prepared survival items for him and his wife and son. They retreated there only to have everyone on the block that was at their card party come to try to get in.

For TV they ended up breaking the door down which in the real world that would not have been easy if not impossible because a bomb blast is much more powerful then a group of men with some wood…

However, the part that always stuck with me is the moral dilemma the Dr and his family had to go through listening to these people begging and pleading to get into the shelter. Each of them having a reason why they should be allowed in. The Dr telling them how they should have prepared instead of wasting money on this or that… That has always stuck with me, in fact it stuck with me so much I remember it this well after YEARS of seeing it.

So my question is: How will YOU handle such situation if it comes down to it… Are YOU in the right mindset to turn your back on lifelong friends, as cold as that seems for your own family survival? There is a lot to consider here but the main thing to remember is YOU cannot save everyone this way with your shelter or fall back area.

You CAN save them by showing them what and how you do your preparing and bigger WHY you do it. Getting them into boards like this or camping, fishing, opening their eyes showing them you are not just some “survivalist nut” but in fact you are being the best provider/protector you can be for your family. If nothing ever happens, so what you have stock in case of weather power outages and stuff like that. But if it does happen you can rest easy knowing you did everything you can for your family and for your friends in opening their eyes…

Good luck everyone…. :thumb:
“Gunner”
Arsenal of Democracy
It is better to have it and not need it...that to need it and not have it!!!

·
Texas Country
152 Posts
My wife and I have sat down and have had looooong heart to heart talks about who to let in the front door, who to give a box lunch to, and who to send to the promised land. Talk about a wrestling match between the heart and mind. I've tried to educate some sensible family members in a laid back, non threaterning way and you can see the interest in their eyes. And there are are others who think that the government will be there in 3 days with hot chow, a new house and a new job. Katrina and Rita are great current day examples. I hope the day will never come when I'll have to tell them i'm sorry, close the door, and possibly **** the hammer back and let it fly. I saw a post the other day and it said that if parents are fighting over dolls or toys in the store for their kids, what will they do when it comes time to feed 'em? Just my 4 1/2 cents worth.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Perhaps because we have so much it becomes harder to share. We need to look at history as a guide. 30's and 40's are a good guide. Our grandparents were generous to a degree.....but people respected the generosity. The biggest worry we have is that if you give one person a meal you will be flooded. Even more enlightening is the great seiges of WWII, especially Leningrad and Stalingrad. Problem is, no one could hoard because everything was controlled...people starved together.

I think our great grandparents might laugh at us, for two reasons. First is that we are so worried about being able to feed ourselves, the second that keeping enough food to last the seasons is a lost art. We are not doing anything that special we viewed through their eyes. Truth is they would feed the hungry rather than put a bullet in their head.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts