Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to expect WTSHF…

First I personally like to use WIAGS: WHEN IT ALL GOES SOUTH but I figured not many may understand that so I went with the “standard” in this post title…

How many people remember the “Twilight Zone” TV show? There was an episode once about a friendly neighborhood that this block of people had card parties, cook out’s and one of them was a Dr that had looked over some of the children from the group.

During a weekly card party at the Dr’s house they had an emergency radio broadcast about a nuclear attack (Cold war era show) And everyone left going to their home to grab what they needed. The Dr had a “Bomb Shelter” in his basement with all the prepared survival items for him and his wife and son. They retreated there only to have everyone on the block that was at their card party come to try to get in.

For TV they ended up breaking the door down which in the real world that would not have been easy if not impossible because a bomb blast is much more powerful then a group of men with some wood…

However, the part that always stuck with me is the moral dilemma the Dr and his family had to go through listening to these people begging and pleading to get into the shelter. Each of them having a reason why they should be allowed in. The Dr telling them how they should have prepared instead of wasting money on this or that… That has always stuck with me, in fact it stuck with me so much I remember it this well after YEARS of seeing it.

So my question is: How will YOU handle such situation if it comes down to it… Are YOU in the right mindset to turn your back on lifelong friends, as cold as that seems for your own family survival? There is a lot to consider here but the main thing to remember is YOU cannot save everyone this way with your shelter or fall back area.

You CAN save them by showing them what and how you do your preparing and bigger WHY you do it. Getting them into boards like this or camping, fishing, opening their eyes showing them you are not just some “survivalist nut” but in fact you are being the best provider/protector you can be for your family. If nothing ever happens, so what you have stock in case of weather power outages and stuff like that. But if it does happen you can rest easy knowing you did everything you can for your family and for your friends in opening their eyes…

Good luck everyone…. :thumb:
“Gunner”
Arsenal of Democracy

·
V
21,713 Posts
Personally although I can see where you're comming from, I see the idea of showing people what preps Ive got steps Ive taken and why, as setting myself up as a bigfat target, much like the Dr and his family in the shelter :taped:

Ive only ever spoken to 2 friends about preping and my reasons why, one now lives in the states and the other died, BOTH thought I was going a little overboard and BOTH said but it'll never happen it'll never get that bad :eek:

Now I keep a low profile I think my mother inlaw has an idea she certainly knows what to buy me for christmas without ever asking but other than that everyone else is clueless and I like it that way I feel safer being grey :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
If history is any indication, and I believe it is... We are all in for few very rough months in the beginning. Take the Katrina aftermath, a hurricane... the rioting, the looting, the people shooting each other over stupid ****! In general I feel 87% of all people, if not on a regular basis, turn into complete idiotic asshats in a crisis situation. Those people, however, tend to be the first to die off, the people who are so addicted to their cell-phones, televisions, the Internet, their fast food and high fructose corn syrup drinks. If a catastrophe the likes of which force society as a whole to fall apart, I believe most of the population will starve, or kill each other off within the first three months. But to the original question, I believe it will be those of us, who have been taught, if not have instilled the ideals into ourselves, of "survivalism" who will be able to turn the others away. Being able to fend for ourselves in a crisis, being relatively self-sufficient. Of course there will be the great urge to grab a gun, go down to the local Sprawl-Mart, and grab everything you can, but ya gotta wonder how many people will be injured, and die in an episode like that. Anyway, even knowing what I know, the first few people would be difficult to turn away, but as everything in life, feelings become callus. A person can easily become desensitized to anything. And it is the ability to do so that will keep the survivors alive, and willing to fight for that life. And I also believe that it's a good idea to keep specifics of ones stockpiles kinda hush hush, people are going to be nuts already, no sense making robbing ya any more tempting.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I'm really reticent to talk about preparation to people these days.
The reason being is they just don't listen, and usually end up just being insulting, with the usual 'tin foil hat' insults. I happen to live in a very appathetic, material area.
So here's the thing, WIAGS, these same a-holes who I've formerly attempted to educate, will be thinking 'hey, didn't junglecrawler mention something about preparation?' and then indeed it will be the Twilight Zone Dr scenario, the only difference being they'll be turned away at the barrel of a gun.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
the movie is called " the shelter" it can be found on YOUTUBE.

OPSEC is your friend, and if you truly are in a die or let die event. do you want to die or let so called friends die...i'll chose save my family for 500$ alex.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
but remember as the SHTF continues for months on end most ppl will have starved to death, many near death. so going out in public looking fat a healthy will not be a wise thing to do. just food for thought

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
What you should do is have a 'ticket'

Basically your friends (Who knwo you prep) should be told that they can preposition (Or bring with them) a 'ticket' (List of items they will require)
Food, clothing, medications, weapons etc...

They are welcome at your place, but they must provide their own 'Whatever'
(If they don't have the money for Mountain house... let them stock beans and rice... it'll all be eaten communially anyway.) that's up to you.

Bottom line... they will then be an asset, and not dependant on you.

(Can also set up at buddies places reducing the need for alternate bug out locations.)

For those who won't prep... this gives you PLENTY of time to decide now what do do about them. IF they know enough to know to come to your place... you need to ether prep for them (Again, doesn't haveto be steak, it can be beans) or decide ahead of time what you must do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts