Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Big Bird
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This board has really gotten me motivated. My brother and I are meeting tomorrow to come up with bugout plans and equipment lists,etc. My question that I hope someone can help with is.What to do about my wife? She thinks that all my guns and other equipment. Is just a hobby and that I should not waste the time and money. We have talked many times about why I believe that times are going to change soon and that we may be in for a life changing event.She doesn't get it! Says she would rather die than live the way we most likely will have to live.It really is a burden trying to stay motivated and move on with the plan. I guess I am lucky in the respect that my family I.E. my brother and father are on the same page with me. Well maybe this wasn't a question after all maybe I just need to vent?

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
madashell1,

Many on here can recognize your frustrations. Thankfully my wife is not one. All you can do is to prepare as you plan and not let her get you down. Thankfully situations like power outages, winter storms, floods, riots, high crime, job losses, tornadoes, typhoons, hurricanes, deep freezes, droughts, etc. etc. typically open some people's eyes. There is always a lesson to take from everything.

Here's what I've suggested before, wait till some event happens (like the huge Northeast power outage going on now) and ask her what she thinks you all should do in a similar situation. Send her emails with links to news sites covering such situations. I would also think of all of the most likely scenarios to happen in your geographic region as well as both of your career fields. Ask her what you would do when those situations arise.

Even if she never comes around, you must not let that get you down. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I have recently come to the conclusion that I will have to load up my dogs and cat, and kick my wifes ass to the curb when SHTF.

When the blue-helmets are forming up down the street, she gets two chances to get in the mini-van. Slam!! Sionara baby. I'm gone.

She can live in the camps and FEMA trailers.

T

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey coming from a woman that works in a field not normally dominated by woman, she will come around when it all goes down. She will be happy you have prepared, do not quite you are doing the right thing. Both my DM and MIL don't think either my DH or myself should prepare or carry weapons and we do. We just ignore them, they are sheeple minded. You can bet they will come to our house first when things hit the fan.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
This board has really gotten me motivated. My brother and I are meeting tomorrow to come up with bugout plans and equipment lists,etc. My question that I hope someone can help with is.What to do about my wife? She thinks that all my guns and other equipment. Is just a hobby and that I should not waste the time and money. We have talked many times about why I believe that times are going to change soon and that we may be in for a life changing event.She doesn't get it! Says she would rather die than live the way we most likely will have to live.It really is a burden trying to stay motivated and move on with the plan. I guess I am lucky in the respect that my family I.E. my brother and father are on the same page with me. Well maybe this wasn't a question after all maybe I just need to vent?
My wife mostly agrees with survivalism but she gets annoyed when I start piling up gear in the house. Women need a lot of space for girly stuff to be happy. Do yerself a favor and build a storage shelter for your stuff and ALL of your long term food supplies. :thumb:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you have children? That's all it took for me to get on board. I can't imagine being stuck in a situation where I cannot protect or feed my child.

And I despise the gov't and would rather eat dirt and sleep under a bridge then be stuck in a gov't run "shelter". I wouldn't take my child around the vermin and the crap that was happening in that coliseum in New Orleans at gun point.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Not sure what you mean.. but duct tape, some nylon rope and some furry hancuffs usually does it for me.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I've been working on my GF for a while. shes coming around. Do what others have said. E-mail her links to stories on rioting in other countrys and watch the news saying man the world is going to hell, what would you do.

keep it up,

T

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
This is a hypothetical answer from a single man but why don´t you start stocking up on food instead of gears´n´guns in the first place? Women tend to be nesters and hoarders by nature and having food come rain or shine usually sits well with them. I for sure haven´t met a girl who isn´t a short-term survivalist in that department...

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
My gal is on board now. Take a weekend at home flip the main circuit breaker at the fusebox, unplug the phone and shut the water off for say friday evening until sunday. Tell her she has to survive on what she has in the house. no tv, no hair curlers, no jumping in the car and running to the store for goodies. This usually works pretty well.:D:

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
My wife thought I was wasting time and money, too. Then one day the car broke down on us in the middle of nowhere (this was before cell-phones ruled the world). I always keep a small bug-out bag in the trunk. We had water, hot food (cooked on an alcohol stove), and a sleeping bag to stay warm.

She gets it now. The world doesn't have to end to need your supplies. They come in handy in even a personal crisis, such as power failure, breakdowns, fire, flood, etc.

The old saying is true now, then and forever: BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can you blame folks for freaking out when you try selling them on preparedness? If you immediately start talking about the end of the world and government take over and zombie uprisings, folks will think you're nuts. Start her off slowly, explain you want to have supplies in case you get laid off or food prices go higher. Use whatever type of natural disasters you have in your area to justify your preps. Lay off the guns and ammo trip, that'll just get her nervous. You can justify the weapons later as for self protection, as long as you already have a weapon and some ammo.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
All it will take is time, for years my wife mocked me. I had to listen to comments about trying to be GI Joe when I bought something that was military surplus, Patric Swayze getting ready for the Russians, pack rat, fat kid {at the time I was anything but} hiding food, you name it.
Now she is on board to a certain degree. She still thinks the world will keep on spinning and TEOWAWKI will never happen, which is fine. I would prefer she didn't have to think about that kind of stuff.
She does watch the news and stocks up on food items. Most of the time if something happens and I feel the need to grab a few extra items she already has.

·
"STUPID SHOULD HURT"
84 Posts
My wife was slow to come around after nothing happened Y2K. It took Katrina to open her eyes. She now has her own guns and has learned to do home canning. She mostly lets me do what I feel is necessary and just asks that I don't bankrupt us. On the other hand she feels overwhelmed when she watches too much of the news and current events and kinda shuts down. Some people just have to moderate their intake of all the goings on so as not to feel helpless.

Dennis

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I'm the wife who is into preparedness. My husband was the one who thought I was crazy, especially after Y2K. Ha! Ha! I got a lot of laughs out of the family.

Now I involve my husband in my plans. He likes the looks of my canned goods that are linning the sheves in the extra bedroom. He likes it that I have picked out foods that he is fond of. I've made sure to stock up on his tobasco sauce, beef/chicken broth, pork and beans, clam chowder, potted meat/viennes sausages......well you get the idea.

He knows that I am making sure he is comfortable and will always have his favorite foods available. I make quilts. There are 2 right now that I have made just for him. I am working on a 3rd one right now. All the kids and grand kids have quilts I have made for them.

But to bring my husband on board I am making sure he understands that his comfort is just as important as basic survival. Like men, a woman gets warm and cozy when you through in items that are ment just for their comfort (because you love them).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you blame folks for freaking out when you try selling them on preparedness? If you immediately start talking about the end of the world and government take over and zombie uprisings, folks will think you're nuts. Start her off slowly, explain you want to have supplies in case you get laid off or food prices go higher. Use whatever type of natural disasters you have in your area to justify your preps. Lay off the guns and ammo trip, that'll just get her nervous. You can justify the weapons later as for self protection, as long as you already have a weapon and some ammo.
i agree, don't use the same terms we use. bob, bov, bol,shtf will get you no where. talk about real world stuff she knows about. it worked for me so give it a try.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts