Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend will possibly bring us a few big bags of apples. I've already searched the forum for dehydrating apples, and it doesn't seem so hard. Although, there isn't anything resembling warm and sunny here. I know you can freeze applesauce. Can you freeze sliced apple? Anymore ideas?

·
1,794 Posts
It probably won't help you much since you will only be getting a couple bags. I press apples for cider using a homemade press powered by a hydraulic bottle jack. Some types of apples keep much better than others. Cider doesn't keep well unless you like hard cider (yuk). I routinely store apples for months by simply wrapping them in newspaper (individually), putting them in a cardboard box and keeping them in a very cool cellar. You could also make apple butter out of some of them. The wife does that and I am unsure of the process but it is great. Google must have the procedure for making and canning apple butter. Hope this helps some. Love them apples!

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
-Apple pie
-Apple sauce
-Canned apple rings (look this up and make sure to use ascorbic acid to prevent discoloration) (I prefer the cinnamon apple rings! Yum!)
-Apple Butter
-Apple Juice
-Apple Jelly
-Apple Syrup
-Apple Tarts
-Apple Strudel
-Apple Blintzes
-Apple Pancakes
-Apple Cobbler
-Apple Dumplings

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can cure apples brine or dry. The process should preserve apples. It would probally make them taste horrible however. Since this isn't emergency stuff I probally should have left cured out. You could probally pickle apples aswell.:D:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
For that few apples I woud eat them now, cook with them now or dehydrate them for treats.

It takes several different kinds of apples to make a good cider blend or apple jack. Even applesauce is better with a blend of apples. If you have enough left over though you could can a couple jars of applesauce for cooking with later. It might be mor work than it is worth though for just a couple jars of cooking sauce.

Tury

1 - 20 of 21 Posts