Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a few acres of really nice black walnut and when one blows down we cut it up for firewood or for use wherever. I would like to pick up a hobby that might pay me back some way and I figured that I could make better use of the wood than heating the house. Some of this wood could be up to 12-24" diameter of heartwood, but I currently have access to pieces 4-5" diameter.

I've thought of using this to make knife handles, pistol grips (plates), etc (need more ideas). So any input is greatly appreciated! or any other ideas.

Thanks!

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
It makes nice accent pieces in woodworking. I used to make walnut dowels to put into very light colored wood for the contrast. I'd recommend talking to local woodworkers before you cut the tree down so it can be dried correctly.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. don't burn that stuff, it's worth a fortune. It's used in gun stocks.

Sell it and buy firewood with some of the money.
I'd like to make some gun stocks but aren't they all unique to the gun? Would I have to take requests for a specific model or are all stocks standard?

does anyone know if black walnut can get a glass like finish with polishing? I think that would look really nice with the natural dark grain!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you have a little extra time on your hands.
Well, I do have a little extra but I play guitar as well so this was of interest to me because of that. I always loved looking at the grains of the guitars that had a clear finish (no paint, the way a guitar should be!!!).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you do cut a black walnut, cut it high enough you can dig the stump out and cure it. Stump wood doesn't split easly and make awsome rifle stocks.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

just the wood blank for that stock will set a person back 1000+ to have it made into a stock even more

id say dig up the root ball let it dry and start selling gunstock blanks

ill be your first customer if the price is right

Reactions: tankman1989

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All awesome ideas everyone! I REALLY appreciate your input on this. That gun stock is absolutely beautiful! I'll have to do some planning and practice on scrap wood before working with the black walnut.

As for selling it, IDK right now, I don't have much readily available. How much would you want/need? If it is a small amount, I can probably help you out.

I just found out that my dad has what looks like 80-160 black walnut boards (probably 32+ years old, stored inside) that are 8'6" x 12.5" x 1 1/8" so that is 680 - 1360 board feet of lumber, maybe more. I wish there were some thicker boards like 2-2.5" thick so I could make guitar bodies out of them and gun stocks!

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Some people look at a tree and see firewood or a new deck. I look at a tree and see a coffee table, dresser, humidor or a fireplace mantle.
Ahh a humidor nice idea I don't even smoke cigars that sounds cool hell if they will pay a lot for nice cigars they will usually will pay a lot for a nice attractive way to store it

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just found this tree that was cut down and it is a HUGE maple that looks beautiful and probably has a great rootball! I'd love to get opinions on if this is worth going to get and figuring a way to transport.

I might have to buy one of those chainsaw attached rough lumber cutting attachment. It looks like tight quarters there.

I'm going camping for the weekend so I won't be able to attend this thread but any ideas on how to harvest this is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hulls of the actual black walnut, can be used as a poison. I read somewere that they are "smushed" up by hand and then tossed in shallow water to kill fish. And yes the fish were eaten after

·
space samurai
455 Posts
if the trees are large enough, and of veneer quality, you could probobly sell them for a few grand apiece....

research it, you might have quite the chunk of change sitting around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts