1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Preparing for tomorrow
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
The author nailed it. If you believe that the deflationary depression is coming, pay off debt and stay liquid(i.e. hoard cash). Even during a slow growth period, that would be very smart to do.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Who is to say we are not in a depression now?
Question...

Did I hear this correctly???

That there isn't an actual quantifiable formula that indicates a "depression" in the economy?

Suggesting that the term has been arbitrarily assigned to that specific time in history.

·
Big Member
105 Posts
That there isn't an actual quantifiable formula that indicates a "depression" in the economy?

Suggesting that the term has been arbitrarily assigned to that specific time in history.
From what I can gather "depression" is defined as a very long recession. In other words it's measured in years, not quarters.

And yeah, I think we are inching towards it. We need to kick over a few more dominoes to get there (but we're not putting any back up, either).

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
USA Today had an interesting article today on:

If a depression is on your mind, here's what to do

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/waggon/2010-07-02-investing02_ST_N.htm

It is worth the read, although they suggest hedging your money with Treasuries and I'm not sure that would work in a total economic collapse. But at the same time, putting everything in gold and silver is a major risky move.
... hedging your money.... isn't the entire problem with a depressin is people don't have money to hedge?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Thank you! Be without a decent income for 1 or 2 years and tell me this is a recession. I live in Michigan and might as well be in Hell.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
What to do IF there's a depression???
Man, time for someone to wake up. We're IN a depression and we're doing all we can.

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
Thank you! Be without a decent income for 1 or 2 years and tell me this is a recession. I live in Michigan and might as well be in Hell.
There is a Hell, MI. But you haven't seen the you're thinking of hell yet. Hell is when a few hundred thousand families stop receiving unemployment checks and the emergency food pantries run out and stay empty.

No you haven't seen hell yet and even that which I have described would only be the beginning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts