Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to get a plan together in case of real trouble in America. The problem is, I've been unemployed for quite a while, and don't have much in the way of funds. In regards to finding a place to retreat to, I don't have a clue. I've lived in quite a large number of places over the last many years, but don't own a place in the middle of nowhere. I've a friend that is talking about getting hold of some land away from it all, and setting up a sort of communal thingy. Having lived in a communal "thingy", I've some reservations, but it could come in handy in an emergency.

Any thoughts?

Panchito62

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I'm attempting to get a plan together in case of real trouble in America. The problem is, I've been unemployed for quite a while, and don't have much in the way of funds. In regards to finding a place to retreat to, I don't have a clue. I've lived in quite a large number of places over the last many years, but don't own a place in the middle of nowhere. I've a friend that is talking about getting hold of some land away from it all, and setting up a sort of communal thingy. Having lived in a communal "thingy", I've some reservations, but it could come in handy in an emergency.

Any thoughts?

Panchito62

A few thoughts... YMMV

Your options are severely limited.

I would suggest working on yourself and your earning potential first.

Find a decent job and maybe get in with a group to start. As far as groups go I would look for someone who is no overly political or extreme.

Once you are working and doing OK start by buying a few guns and some ammo, and start stockpiling food. Dont get caught up in the whole "lifestyle" and saying to yourself that you are too prosperous now to need to prepare. That's where even the most successful end up failing.

Very few people, even those on this board are 100% prepared, myself included.

Personally I started small. I add to my preps every week.

Sometimes it is just some extra canned goods.

Sometimes it is an elaborate garden.

Sometimes it is a new knife.

Sometimes (not lately but in times past) it has been 10,000 7.62X39 Winchester cases...

You get the idea.

Nobody ever started prepping one day and was done the next day. It takes a lot of time and a lot of thought as to what you feel you should prepare for.

Youve already made the first step into a larger world, one where your eyes are opened. This forum is filled with good people who for the most part want the same as you. Ask when you dont know and help those you can and we will all get there someday.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Persue Back packing hobbies. You can learn a lot form guy who hike the Appalachian trail end to end.

Buy books on foraging wild edibles, hunting fishing, and master those skills. Even if you never actually need them, they will be a rewarding hobby and past time.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
First off, analyze the area where you live. Do you live in a poor part of a big city or not? If you do live in a poor part of town, move a little ways out. If you live in a big city can you move a little ways outside of the city? It doesn't have to be really far, maybe a few miles.

If you do opt to move, can you incorporate features into your next home that enhance your security and comfort? Can you pick a new house to live in that is on a ridge line or elevated above the area of land around it? Do you have decent neighbors on whom you can depend? Can you incorporate some of them into a communal defense of sorts? What can you and each neighbor bring to the table as a service or talent for the good of the group? Once you have the right place to stay then you start on stockpiling supplies.

So your Number One priority is location. Your second issue will be supplies. Supplies fall into food, water and medicines. You want an initial stockpile that will last at least 30 days. Make sure that your stockpile includes everybody in your family and more. Understand that you can not feed the whole neighborhood but for you, your family and your closest neighbors you will probably want to be ready. Then, just to be safe, plan on helping some extra people too or extra stuff for trading purposes.

Your third issue will be protection/weaponry for you and your people. You need to think over your situation that you plan to defend and then choose accordingly. In most cases you should probably have a variety of firearms available to meet a variety of needs. So, that means stockpiling guns, ammo, cleaning gear and oil, patches and cases to hold the guns. You may also want to include such items as air guns for silent hunting, blowguns, bows and arrows for other needs. Something else to consider is the use of traps for hunting and catching wild game. I often suggest that a person think about getting rat/mouse traps for bringing in food and, if possible, live traps usage too. With live traps you can possibly catch rabbits and such for breeding purposes. If you can breed rabbits that gives you fresh meat and fur for your use and later on for trading too.

Water is a main long term issue. The key thing about water is to be able to have some. So that means you need to plan ahead and know your water resources that are nearby to where you live. You also need to know how to purify water so you can use it for drinking. I have near where I live a small stream that is periodic in its flow but about 2 blocks away I have a large pond of water that most people can't see or even know is present. It's hidden by folds in the ground and you can only see it if you are standing northwest of it. To the east, south and west you wouldn't know it was there at all. So, I log all of the nearby water ponds, streams, creeks and so on. On top of that, I keep a gallon of fresh bleach in my supplies to clean up my water along with some paper filters too. I also keep water purification tablets around and know that boiling water is good to drink too. So either way, I'm ready to go if trouble hits.

Another thing I would also consider, if I were you, are classes in emergency preparation from the Red Cross, your local disaster agency and maybe through FEMA. You can also take some emergency preparation classes on-line from different groups too. The old Civil Defense manuals and training material is still good too for basic survival and emergency situations too.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts

Any thoughts?

Panchito62
The problem usually with communal living is there are too many people...The fewer in the group the better....Then there are the leaches that don't want to do anything and think that the world owes them...If you hook up with a land owner make yourself useful..Good luck to you...

·
hunter-gatherer
751 Posts
Ok - first off - pick the most likely 'shtf' timeline and work with that first. THen work up.

By that i mean for most people if there is a disaster you will need to survive for perhaps a week or a month depending on where you are and what's likely. Job one is being ready for that. There may or may not be a nuclear world war. There WILL be a natural disaster - i don't care where you are on this planet, sooner or later mother nature is going to get pissed off with it and something bad will happen there.

Then there's 'human' disaster - some species of riot or other civil unrest. Less likely in most places (not all tho.) but still more likely than nukes.

Preparing for those things can be cheap. The first issues you need to address is food, water, shelter and heat. All of those can be done on a budget.

Cheap water systems can include homemade water filters using carbon and cotton balls, learning to make a cheap but effective still or solar still (i can make a good solar still for less than 6 bucks), learning how to make a good rain catch (to collect rainwater), Freeze a 1 or 2 litre bottle of water in your freezer (for gods sake, don't fill it all the way up!). THat way if you lose power you'll have longer till your freezer warms up, and if you have no water you've got a day's emergency supply to work with.

If you live near the ocean - a solar or other still can be invaluable - they can process salt water effectively. Think about where water might come from where you are.

Cheap food is as simple as starting to try to 'buy ahead'. for example i use a lot of canned tomatoes in my cooking so rather than buy one offs i buy a case of them. SUre - takes me six months to get thru it but in an emergency i've got food on hand. Learn about natural foods - dandelions are quite edible, many types of pine not only make an excellent tea, but have more vitamin c than 8 oranges. etc. Consider if you have the space for a small garden. Learn how to can meats and veg - it's very easy and you can take advantage of 'bulk' sales of cheap meat cuts and still wind up with some really good canned meats if you do it right. Learn to hunt and fish if that's an option. Etc.

Heat can be more tricky, but look around. There's a lot of good options there too and you don't have to spend a fortune, thats for sure. In fact, depending on your situation you might actually make some changes that SAVE you money.

Shelter - you may not be able to live in your home. Depending on whether or not you have a family, look at various shelter options. You can buy a cheap pup tent and tarp, you can learn to make an effective shelter using tarps for very little, you can make a 'chum' or tipi like shelter with a couple of tarps very fast and it'll even allow a small fire in it using a hobo stove variant and some screen for a spark arrester. Inside your home - think about how you'd deal with things like the toilet not working - how and where would you dig an effective privy?

You can make or buy effective lighting for your home - a pop can with the front half cut off and a tea light inside actually throws a decent amount of light - 5 or 6 of them can be handy in an emergency, and a bag of 500 tea lights is dirt cheap at ikea. There's also cheap hurricane lanterns etc, and all that provides heat as well. Find a fondue set at a garage sale - there's a very cheap and highly effective mini stove for you if you set it up right. With the right base, it can boil water or heat a fry pan.

You can do exercises like force yourself to live without power for 24 hrs - just kill the breaker, unplug the phone and see how you do. How will you cook your food? How will you stay warm? How will you see at night? How will you keep yourself entertained? These are all actually important things. You'll suddenly realize where you're 'not ready' in a hurry when you do it :)

Shotguns are probably the most effective and least expensive defense tool going, and easy to find used. Either get one wiht a short barrel (very common here) or buy a cheap older used pump and have the barrel cut down to whatever's legal in your state by a good smith. Shotguns can fetch food, they can definately stop humans or others seeking to bug you, and you can even buy flare rounds that are good for signalling. They're light and they scare the hell out of people - and they're pretty affordable to practice with so you can get good with it (which is the most important thing.) I'd think about that last after all the other stuff, but when you're ready that's probably a great starter 'defense' gun. More hitting power than most pistols and better range (with the right load) and yet more versitile and fast as lighting with practice.

·
Air scent K-9 SAR Handler
62 Posts
Persue Back packing hobbies. You can learn a lot form guy who hike the Appalachian trail end to end.

Buy books on foraging wild edibles, hunting fishing, and master those skills. Even if you never actually need them, they will be a rewarding hobby and past time.
Aron Ralston used a few things he remembered reading from other people's survival stories which helped him save his ass in the Utah desert and probably down the line someone will use something they read in his book. For me, it's reading anything to do with real stories of survival and how they survived is a great way to build my confidence and learn when I'm laying down to sleep or in the john. I am new to this and have been gobbling up as much good information as I can. See, now I realize need to start a stockpile too, although I'm optimistic about USA's future and I don't think the S will HTF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unemployed

"The problem is, I've been unemployed for quite some time..."

Panchito,

I have a hugh problem with this statement...

If your issue is not having sufficent funds to be prepared...how about sufficient funds for day to day living? Are you disabled? Are you on welfare and food stamps? Did you work for AIG as a derivative salesman?

Most people who are unemployed, choose to be unemployed!! If you think it is beneath you to do a certain work, or to work at a certain wage, maybe you should think again.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Panchito,

If your issue is not having sufficent funds to be prepared...how about sufficient funds for day to day living? Are you disabled? Are you on welfare and food stamps? Did you work for AIG as a derivative salesman?

Most people who are unemployed, choose to be unemployed!! If you think it is beneath you to do a certain work, or to work at a certain wage, maybe you should think again.
Very true. even with todays economy there ARE some jobs out there. they just usually arent what people want to do, or feel they are qualified to do

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

Any thoughts?

Panchito62
If you are under the age of 36 join the military.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts

Panchito,

You shouldn't be so quick to judge, Hombre. Perhaps this poster is in an environment where there is little or no opportunity. Coming from the coal fields of Southern West Virginia I've seen people (hard working, good people) with their back against the wall and no relief in sight.

And I've eaten my share of beans/cornbread and biscuits and gravy too! So don't assume anything until you walk the mile, savvy?

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts

Panchito,

So quick to judge oh where have our christian values gone? You no nothing of this man yet you seem quick to condemn him as a loaf. This type of prejudice is what is fundamentally wrong with this country today. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm. Luckily we live in a country where majority doesnt rule. God bless the founding fathers for that.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,709 Posts
Looking at Panchitos profile I see he has not been back since > Last Activity: 04-15-2009 03:29 PM

He just posted then went away without even reading any of the responses!

I would like to know why but we possibly never will know. Cannot help those who hit and run.

·
Mmm, oh, bacon
125 Posts
internet probably go the boot

Looking at Panchitos profile I see he has not been back since > Last Activity: 04-15-2009 03:29 PM

I would like to know why but we possibly never will know. Cannot help those who hit and run.

Either way, by him asking this question, I got a lot of useful information for myself and my friends. I will try to pass as much info as possible on to those that will listen.

Maybe Panchitos has lost access to the Internet. If I had to deal with a drastically reduced income, I would drop anything that doesn't directly provide food, water, shelter, or self-defense...the internet has yet to do any of those things for me, so it would get the boot.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
it sounds to me like you had better develope a skill that people really need and not many have, it's nice to be needed in a crises when you have nothing., but it won't be be very nice for you if you're expendible and have no preps.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

could be, he or she has no comp and used a friends or one at a library.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts