Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Muscles From Brussels
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research, and I know I want to go with learning how to shoot a recurve bow.

I was wondering what should be taken into consideration when buying my first recurve bow?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hi, I would recommend joining an Archery Forum, there are some really good Ones and people will help you out
Things to consider, as a total beginner don't go high poundage, get a Bow that you can add poundage to as your strength grows, better to start off light than get frustrated
Next is draw length, make sure you do this correct, there is a few YT vids on getting your draw length
I went with the Samic Sage to start off, it is a great Bow, for beginners and up, depends on budget
Do as much research as you can before buying, we bought pre=made arrows (carbon) then got into building our own, are you going to get into hunting etc or just for fun, again a lot of questions will arise about that
What arrow length etc will come into light when you work out draw length, if you are a handy type, have a look at making your own quivers etc, saves money and a good feeling making your own
Once you have all that worked out
Practice, then do a little more practice and again, esp if you intend on hunting, make sure you are proficient before shooting an animal, they just don't drop dead like you often see on movies, depends on the animal you are hunting, small game yes they will, but bigger game, different story, respect the animal, don't let it suffer by a miss shot that wounds it and it runs off in terrible pain to die a few days later that you won't find and it is a waste
Hope that helps, like anything it can be overwhelming at first, but it is a fantastic sport as well even if you don't hunt
Good luck

·
Muscles From Brussels
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I would recommend joining an Archery Forum, there are some really good Ones and people will help you out
Thanks for the reply, I'll take everything into consideration :) Are there any specific forums you recommend?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Archery Talk seems to be the biggest.

Good advice on the first response post. I suggest a starting draw weight of whatever you can draw and hold for a full 30 seconds without getting the shakes. The idea is that you first get a good grasp of the fundamentals before you begin building draw strength. Straining against the draw while trying to learn the basics is a good way to pick up bad habits.

A takedown recurve will allow you to upgrade to stronger limbs as you progress.

Don't bolt on a lot of fancy crap early on. Again, learn the basics first. I do recommend a bowsling (strap at the grip that keeps you from dropping the bow) if you pursue the BEST archery method. It's an acronym, google it.

Find an archery proshop near you, where you can get lessons, and have your bows, arrows, etc expertly tuned.

Have fun.

Practice often, but perhaps not every day, to start with.

Have more fun.

·
Muscles From Brussels
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Archery Talk seems to be the biggest.

Good advice on the first response post. I suggest a starting draw weight of whatever you can draw and hold for a full 30 seconds without getting the shakes. The idea is that you first get a good grasp of the fundamentals before you begin building draw strength. Straining against the draw while trying to learn the basics is a good way to pick up bad habits.

A takedown recurve will allow you to upgrade to stronger limbs as you progress.

Don't bolt on a lot of fancy crap early on. Again, learn the basics first. I do recommend a bowsling (strap at the grip that keeps you from dropping the bow) if you pursue the BEST archery method. It's an acronym, google it.

Find an archery proshop near you, where you can get lessons, and have your bows, arrows, etc expertly tuned.

Have fun.

Practice often, but perhaps not every day, to start with.

Have more fun.

Thanks for your reply. The only problem is, I live in Indonesia (My location still says Europe, oops), and I have no way of taking archery lessons here or having my equipment expertly tuned.

I plan on bring a bow from Europe and teaching myself?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Back again, sorry forgot to subscribe, anyway, We are self taught, so that is not an issue
Forgot to mention to check what eye Dominant you are, I am right, Son is Left, but he still shoots right eye perfectly ok, check on You tube on eye dominance and draw lengths
Know it all sounds confusing, did to us at first, but that will pass in no time
If you join Archery Talk, (good people) they will guide you along so you don't part with hard earned cash
Check with your Customs etc, is it legal to import Archery gear, just in case lol
Have you an area to practice in?
When purchasing arrows it can be confusing, weight of tip, length of shaft make sure it all fits your draw length and the poundage of your Bow, take down bows are the best, pack away into a bag and easily transported
make sure you get flemish strings and whilst you are at it buy a spare string, get an arm guard (you won't regret it :eek:) it can hurt when you get a slap.
Also get a cpl of finger guards and string wax
Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts