Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just sold my drag car and I'm gonna stock up on some more things. I have been preparing fora while, probably 3 years or so, just need some ideas on what you guys think may be most essential besides the food/water/ammo thing. I have a 1200w generator, kerosene heater,deitz lanterns etc. I budgeted $500.00 to spend so gimme your ideas.:confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good grain mill, with spare parts would eat most of that up and then some, but a good investment. I'm guessing you probably already have one.

You could build a human/bike-powered generator with about that as well. Got a link to the instructions, if you like.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No grain mill yet but I have looked at them in the Lehman's catalog. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well i just sold my drag car and I'm gonna stock up on some more things. I have been preparing fora while, probably 3 years or so, just need some ideas on what you guys think may be most essential besides the food/water/ammo thing. I have a 1200w generator, kerosene heater,deitz lanterns etc. I budgeted $500.00 to spend so gimme your ideas.:confused:
Shadow, buy gardening tools, seeds, fertilizer, and a good fence around it.

Thats money well spent, and if nothing happens, you can still eat it !!:D:

So you get back what you put into it as food for your family:thumb:

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for some of the ideas, I live on a 100 acre farm and keep a nice size garden and well stocked pond, the bulletproof vests i have from my lawman days. I feel I have a pretty good supply of the basics just feel like I'm forgetting something. The medical supplies i have in my fire dept stuff in my vehicle and my bug out medical bag. Think shadow Think!

·
Registered
678 Posts
a water filter with spare cartridges?

chickens?

fencing or whatever to grow your own beef?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Alright, lets forget the garden thingy, I did not know you had 100 acres.

You sound like you are well prepped already. SOOOO...... how about 1 last little 3 day vacation before the lights go out?

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel safest at home, There's no place like home, There's no place like home! I guess I will just go get some more food and some coke and bottled water. Maybe some 30/06 ammo. Oh yes I just remembered, I need to fill my 30 gal drum with kerosene.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I feel safest at home, There's no place like home, There's no place like home! I guess I will just go get some more food and some coke and bottled water. Maybe some 30/06 ammo. Oh yes I just remembered, I need to fill my 30 gal drum with kerosene.
Shadow, those are exactly my feelings also, why leave home ?
When I go to the big city, its just a hassle getting around traffic.
And to think that I lived there for 22 yrs in all that confusion.

Just buy half an oz. of gold & forget the whole thing. That way you will have it to spend on anything you want, anytime you want, heck it might even grow to 600 bucks, who knows :confused:

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I just got back from the store and I got $220.00 woth of food and 3 more boxes of 30/06 ammo. Tomorrow I will go fill up my kerosene drum and cans along with my fuel cans. What would be some good barter items to have?

·
Registered
27 Posts
inexpensive idea - the total partial electricity battery solution - like $60 or so

rechargeable batteries (eneloop) with C/D adaptors, a a plug-in trickle charger, and those little solar yard lights

you can always have charged batteries by swapping the factory batteries with eneloops daily or as needed

if you got sun in daytime you got light at night :)

i can provide links if you need them

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
As long as you are armed, ammoed, and warm, I say always concentrate on water and food. Lay in whatever you can for now. Canned stuff and start rotating it out and replacing it. Water storage if you don't have a well or other source. Freeze dried food, MRE's and dry bulk stuff like beans, rice and dry pasta would be next. Lighting, candles, oil lamps, alternate cooking, etc. Don't forget basic medical stuff, first aid supplies and medicines. Pet food, hygiene products, etc. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
well I just got back from the store and I got $220.00 woth of food and 3 more boxes of 30/06 ammo. Tomorrow I will go fill up my kerosene drum and cans along with my fuel cans. What would be some good barter items to have?
I still think that .22 LR is a great barter item. And presently cheap over the Internet....

·
Registered
801 Posts
Might I suggest oil lamps, wicks and lamp oil? When the power goes out I don't like to use candles if nobody is awake to be certain they don't start a fire. A dual fuel coleman lantern is a good idea with extra mantles...

We started by completing "the basic list" and worked are way to the "more extreme" list. A generator is nice to have but uses a lot of fuel just to light the room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts