Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post here. Sounds like you guys have some good knowledge and wanted to get some advice. I just bought an AR15 and need to know what to buy next. I am trying to stock up before we lose our rights.

Here is what I currently have:
AR15 .223
Mossberg 500 12 Gauge
Ruger 10/22 .22
Ruger P90 .45
Ruger Mark III .22
Keltec Sub-2000 .40
CZ52
Interarms Mark X Bolt Action .300 WinMag /w 3-12x scope

I was thinking a Glock 22 but I do not know anymore since the election.

Oh yeah, I live in Alaska so cold weather performance is important.

Thanks for the input.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Either lots of ammo & mags for what you have or an AK.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
An SKS would be an inexpensive addition.

Also, you have a 223 and a 300 winchester magnum, neither one is a good medium size game caliber.

223 - In some states its illegal to hunt deer with anything less then a 243 caliber. Some people may argue that the 223 is fine for deer - I disagree.

300 winchester magnum - The excessive recoil can cause trigger flinch in people that have not received extensive training. The 300 Winchester magnum is NOT the type of caliber you can hand a 14 year old and expect them to shoot it well.

If you plan on hunting, might I suggest a good medium size game caliber, such as the 30-30, 270, 280 and the 30-06. The SKS and the 7.62X39 can also fit this bill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sounds good. I am buying mags and ammo today. I will also be on the lookout for an SKS or AK in good condition. I will post with more info later.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The 10/22 is good in Alaska! loading a tube magazine in subzero temps is tough.
They generally need some work on trigger and general accurizing.

The .300 isnt so widely available in the bush, not like .308 and .30-06.

You might want a beater. A scoped rifle is kind of vulnerable esp in a boat, on a snowmachine, in a sled etc. A MN91 or a mauser makes a good beater.

A marlin .45-70 is a thought. I remember an old timer saying it was ideal for alaska-he loaded round balls for rabbits and bigger medicine for moose and bears.

You can never as Kim du toit says, have too many .22 rifles

A 12 ga coach gun has its uses

Pump shotguns are in every pawn shop. Doesnt hurt to have two.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
... I am trying to stock up before we lose our rights.

Here is what I currently have:
AR15 .223
Mossberg 500 12 Gauge
Ruger 10/22 .22
Ruger P90 .45
Ruger Mark III .22
Keltec Sub-2000 .40
CZ52
Interarms Mark X Bolt Action .300 WinMag /w 3-12x scope

Looks like you have the basics pretty well covered... In the firearms related category I'd stock up on mags and ammo for what you have there. Beyond that I'd be looking at food, water purification, first aid and other items before adding more guns...

Allan -- but what do I know?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went shopping today. Not made of money but I think I did ok. Still awaiting 18 USGI 30 rounds mags to be shipped to me and 1000 rounds on 223 I have to pick up later today.

Forgot 12 gauge stuff... Going to get some stuff later.

AR15 I bought yesterday.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
I went shopping today. Not made of money but I think I did ok. Still awaiting 18 USGI 30 rounds mags to be shipped to me and 1000 rounds on 223 I have to pick up later today.

AR15 I bought yesterday.

BAH!!! Im so jealous of you and your AR-15...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
An SKS would be an inexpensive addition.

Also, you have a 223 and a 300 winchester magnum, neither one is a good medium size game caliber.

223 - In some states its illegal to hunt deer with anything less then a 243 caliber. Some people may argue that the 223 is fine for deer - I disagree.

300 winchester magnum - The excessive recoil can cause trigger flinch in people that have not received extensive training. The 300 Winchester magnum is NOT the type of caliber you can hand a 14 year old and expect them to shoot it well.

If you plan on hunting, might I suggest a good medium size game caliber, such as the 30-30, 270, 280 and the 30-06. The SKS and the 7.62X39 can also fit this bill.
Kev is correct about the .223 for deer. There are multiple uppers available for the AR if you want to stay with that platform in better calibers such as the 6.8mmSPC. Personally I would go with an AK in your instance, reason being the relative popularity of the caliber and reliability factor. The same could be said for the SKS except that the AK already has changable magazines that are readily available down to 5 and 10 rounds and up to 100...

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I've taken a few deer with a .223 75gr Black Hills Hp ammo w/o problems, just make sure you place the shot well.......Neck or Heart shots work well

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buy more ammo...then get MORE ammo....the MORE, you guessed it, AMMO !!!!

They can't take away all the guns, but they can dry up all of the supply of ammo.

·
Proud American
533 Posts

AR15 I bought yesterday.
pmc ammo you got there is very good stuff. highly recommened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts