Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it is an occupational hazzard, but I for one, truly believe that books will always have a part in anyone's survival arsenal. Yes, we all know about computers and the internet and how someone can find anything they wish. But, if something terrible would happen and you would have to leave your house, knowing you would never ever be able to return again, and you could only leave with three or less books, what would they be?

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,711 Posts
Dare to Prepare by Holly Drennan Deyo (thanks Gunner)

The Way Things Work by by Simon & Schuster (had to buy used from amazon)

Probably my Special Operations Forces Medical Book direct from the goobermint....

Of course my KJB is in there too....jus sayin...

ps...welcome aboard....

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
KJB
The Chrysalids (I can't imagine a world without this novel)
Little House in the Big Woods (for the children I expect will still need tending somewhere)

That's my list of today; it may differ slightly tomorrow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Encyclopedia of Country Living - Carla Emery
The Bible
The Ultimate Rose Book

One so I could have the info for about anything
One for my soul
One for the need for pretty

·
Registered
498 Posts
Alas Babylon by Frank Browning
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
and my Tanakh (Jewish Bible)

I know they're not informational for survival but I've taken these three books with me everywhere since I was a kid.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This should be a sticky so that people can permanently add to it. I'm buying a kindle or two... The cheap ones... And I'm going to load them with as many books as possible that could be of value post teotwawki.

And most importantly... They will be stored separately in emp resistant cases.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Back to Basics Readers Digest
The Guide To Self-Sufficiency John Seymour
The Encyclopedia of Country Living Carla Emery

Tough decisions.
Jerry, is the book you mention by John Seymour the one which has blue jeans on the cover? I'm trying to remember a book that has a pocket of denim on the front cover...

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,835 Posts
Herbal Home Book by Jude C. Todd

Dare to Prepare by Holly Dreyo

Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery

Reactions: HSPrincipal

·
Registered
148 Posts
My bible
the foxfire book #1
The way things work
I would also stick "The Mote In Gods Eye" by Nivin and pournelle paperback in my back pocket. I know its a fourth book but I love that book

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Physical books? ok.

- Country Wisdom and Know-How (ISBN9781579123860)
- Pocket Reference 4th Ed. (ISBN9781885071620)
- One of the survival milspec books I've got.

I've got the bible, constitution, bill of rights, state law reference (2011) on my phone so as long as my charger holds out, I get to sneak away with more than three :)

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
Jerry, is the book you mention by John Seymour the one which has blue jeans on the cover? I'm trying to remember a book that has a pocket of denim on the front cover...
No. I have an older version. It has a montage of small pictures of a homestead in operation. Not sure what the book with denim on the cover is.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bible

Encyclopedia of Country Living

Dear Hearts And Friendly People (its a memoir written by one of my kin about growing up in Kentucky back in the early 1900's. I want to make sure my grandkids can read it when they get old enough)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts