68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i live in NC
wanting to get my CCW
and im wondering if anyone can tell me or give a link
to the restrictions?

i checked myself in to the hospitel 7 years ago when my father died,
was only there for 3 days..

wanting to know if this means i can't get one.

i would rather ask here than find out there

thanks

·
139 Posts
Hmmm... It might be a problem. I have mine in NC but I can't remember how the mental health question was phrased. Call the sheriff in your county and ask, they'll be more reliable than most websites.

·
139 Posts
"Is currently, or has previously been
adjudicated by a court,
or administratively
determined by a governmental agency whos
e decisions are subject to judicial
review, to be lacking mental capacity
or mentally ill. Receipt of previous
consultative services or outpatient tr
eatment alone shall not disqualify an
applicant
"

You're good to go bro

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
You're probably okay.

You may have a delay in the paperwork process. When I got mine, I remember filling out about a 1/2" stack of medical release forms.

The local Sheriff has a lot of influence on the decision.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You're probably okay.

You may have a delay in the paperwork process. When I got mine, I remember filling out about a 1/2" stack of medical release forms.

The local Sheriff has a lot of influence on the decision.

Good Luck
in my opinion the sheriff has too much influence on it. you shouldn't have a problem for self internment, or at least evaluation. one sheriff might not pay attention to it and another might deny you a CHP

two things you have to consider though.
1 you do know you don't need a CHP to carry in NC, you can carry Open all you want to
2. it is called a CHP, Concealed Carry Permit. CCW is a Concealed Carried Weapon. you can buy these any time. of course in NC you need the stupid, bigoted, biased PPP

oh BTW, since you have to take the class in NC anyway. you might could ask the instructor. but remember they are paid to teach you the class

·
Registered
802 Posts
You do not need any permit/license to open carry---once you have legally purchased. There are still a very few local ordinances prohibiting OC that you need to be aware of. I OC most of the time except in public establishments/church/etc. Schools, Post Offices, State/Fed buildings are off limits for any firearm.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
In NC, best way to find out if you can get your CHP is to go purchase a long gun and then go to the sheriff and apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit. If you pass the NICS check and the Permit Check (the sheriff has to tell you WHY if you are denied thanks to the new law).

Of course, if the sheriff denies you (which is MUCH harder for the sheriff to do now than it was back in September), you can STILL go and get your "shall issue" CHP (he has no say in that) and buy all the pistols you want without permits or NICS checks. The CHP does require the class, fingerprinting, and the lisence (each of which costs $$$ - classes are usually $60-100, the fingerprinting I believe is $10-15, and the permit is around $85 or so - so expect to spend about $200 to get your CHP and then about 1/3 of that every fifth year).

Once you have your CHP you can carry concealed A LOT more places since Oct 1 than you could before - but it must be a handgun. Longguns, knives, and other weapons cannot be concealed in the state (open carry for those is okay almost everywhere).

You cannot conceal if you are drinking (though you can open carry drunk), though you can now carry into eating establishments that serve alcohol - you simply cannot drink yourself.

You still cannot carry into schools, hospitals, or many government buildings, but you are no longer breaking the law so long as the firearm stays inside of your locked cars - so you can drop your kids off at school without being a felon. If you live on campus you can carry between your home and car.

You can carry here at parades, funerals, churchs, in parks (but not at sporting events, like little league games), and any private establishment that does not clearly forbid it (there is no specific mandatory sign rules like in SC). There are VERY few places in NC that forbid guns (unless you are in Durham, Cary, or Chapel Hill one of which is anti-gun from Jim Crow leftovers, like the PPP law, the others are simply full of pretentions liberal d-bags).

Most of the state is VERY gun friendly - including the cops, who love when a tag check pulls up people with CHPs (as it means the odds of you being a decent, law abiding citizen is pretty much 100%).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
In NC, best way to find out if you can get your CHP is to go purchase a long gun and then go to the sheriff and apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit. If you pass the NICS check and the Permit Check (the sheriff has to tell you WHY if you are denied thanks to the new law).

Of course, if the sheriff denies you (which is MUCH harder for the sheriff to do now than it was back in September), you can STILL go and get your "shall issue" CHP (he has no say in that) and buy all the pistols you want without permits or NICS checks. The CHP does require the class, fingerprinting, and the lisence (each of which costs $$$ - classes are usually $60-100, the fingerprinting I believe is $10-15, and the permit is around $85 or so - so expect to spend about $200 to get your CHP and then about 1/3 of that every fifth year).

Once you have your CHP you can carry concealed A LOT more places since Oct 1 than you could before - but it must be a handgun. Longguns, knives, and other weapons cannot be concealed in the state (open carry for those is okay almost everywhere).

You cannot conceal if you are drinking (though you can open carry drunk), though you can now carry into eating establishments that serve alcohol - you simply cannot drink yourself.

You still cannot carry into schools, hospitals, or many government buildings, but you are no longer breaking the law so long as the firearm stays inside of your locked cars - so you can drop your kids off at school without being a felon. If you live on campus you can carry between your home and car.

You can carry here at parades, funerals, churchs, in parks (but not at sporting events, like little league games), and any private establishment that does not clearly forbid it (there is no specific mandatory sign rules like in SC). There are VERY few places in NC that forbid guns (unless you are in Durham, Cary, or Chapel Hill one of which is anti-gun from Jim Crow leftovers, like the PPP law, the others are simply full of pretentions liberal d-bags).

Most of the state is VERY gun friendly - including the cops, who love when a tag check pulls up people with CHPs (as it means the odds of you being a decent, law abiding citizen is pretty much 100%).
Good post OAKSPAR, you covered a lot. especially the RACIST JIM CROWE PPP
but there are a few things you are wrong about
the sheriff is still the ruler when it comes to the CHP, it does go by his recommendation. good example is, i know some will deny you for your military record and i know a few that say they don't care, your record could mean anything. also if he wants to revoke it, they will do it
You can not drink alcohol weather you OC or CC. you are not even allowed to sip wine at a tasting. there is a debate going on now weather are not you can OC in a restaurant that sells and consumes. the old law of no carry still applies to OC, but you can CC with a government permit
according to most people the laws for funerals, parades and paid admission, still applies to OC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts