Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's best friend is about to open a thrift shop. It made me wonder: do any of you ever buy survival related things there? If so, what?

What would interest you in checking out a thrift shop, if you never shopped there before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was in "£ Poundland £" today, managed to pick up some decent cordage, a 10x pack of lighters, antibacterial gel, various first aid kit components, glow sticks and some small candles...

All for £1 each !!

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
My brother's best friend is about to open a thrift shop. It made me wonder: do any of you ever buy survival related things there? If so, what?

What would interest you in checking out a thrift shop, if you never shopped there before?

Thanks!
I would buy clothes and blankets.... specifically for survival situations..

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am totally addicted to a thrift shop called Saint Vincent Depaul. I hate to admit it but, I stop there at least 3 times a week. Here's a short list of a few items that I've picked up there in the last 4 months.

3 wool blankets.....$1-$3 each

Top notch hiking backpack with frame $2.00

Baby hiking carrier back pack $1.00

3 regular mint condition backpacks (green jansport) $1 each

hundreds of candles 0.25 cents each

tons of books.12 cents each. I'm trying to build a library for later.

5 baseball bats 1.00 each

baby toys 0.50 cents each
wool army gloves 0.75 cents
wool scarfs hats .50 (tons of these...tons)....muuaaaaaahhhhhhhahhahhha

AND MORE AND MORE AND MORE STUFF mmmuuuuhahahahahha

·
Registered
64 Posts
Around the Southeaster Ohio region there is not much to choose from. The only books one can find are the romance novels.Hhhmmm, maybe I should buy up a few. Then when the SHTF or EOTWAWKI happens, I will be better suited to find a mate.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thats alot of stuff..FOR CHEAP. Didnt think prepping would be so cheap. :)
I know...Anyone on a budget should be hitting these places up. The key is to go there a lot and be disciplined and willing to wait for the best conditioned and best price.

There are also tons of good boots for 3.00 a pair.

With hats and mittens, if you're just looking for a bunch to add to the supplies, why pay $5.00 + each for these at a "regular" store when you can get quality wool ones for .50 cents?

I have so many gardening books that I don't know what to do with them all. OR Wait...maybe I do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have gotten "fancy" hotel shampoos and soaps, new in the box as bundles in plastic bags for a few bucks.

Its been real rough competition for good wool or heavy sweaters this year. I have a big collection of them and have they come in handy this year!

Two years ago I bought a long Lands End down stadium coat and another down jacket for about $7 a piece.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I buy cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup at the dollar store. It is quite a bit cheaper there than at Krogers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like going to the military surplus store when I get the chance. There isnt any in my area but every chance I get when I'm in the city I go. The best buy in my opinion are the leather combat boots. If you take care of them and polish them regularly they last for years. Last pair I had I wore every day for over 10 years.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Just bought a bunch of old bread&butter knives for 50c to make fishing lures. Also, got a US Army canteen in camo pouch for $2. Saw an Engineers Lensatic Compass, perfect condition for $10 , but I already have plenty.

It's always worth a quick look. You usually find some little gem that you weren't looking for.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I got a kerosene lamp, Flannel shirts, blue jeans, tire chains, military surplus, CB radio, several how-to books and other items including a Hallicrafter's SW reciever.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
this week had a sale on kids clothes, $1 a piece...my daughter now has clothes for the next 3 to 4 years. All good quality and like new....last load is drying now. i will go back tomorrow and go through the racks again as they add new stuff all day long. I also buy a lot of stuff for the kitchen, sleeping bags, wool blankets, games, books and basically anything useful I can find. These places are great especially if you have kids.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
My wife and I have shopped at Thrift Stores, St. Vincent DePaul donation stores, and garage sales. We've purchased wool military and even nice alpaca wool blankets, cheap. I bought a nice Plumb hatchet and pry bar for 2 bucks each. A couple of stainless steel camp cups that we could boil water or heat soup in. A 100 foot section of heavy rope, a coleman camp stove, (Old type) and an old single shot 12 ga Iver Johnson shotgun from an old guy at a garage sale.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Oh man, thats a real can of worms. I hit a couple of stores up on a regular basis and buy things like clothes, candles, gardening stuff, plastic contianers of all sizes, and quiet a bit of food such as peanut butter, canned hams, noodles, rice beans, and tons of dry goods ect. Health and toiletries is another good budget buy to make in these places. These stores can be quiet the gold mine at times. I just wish the ones here had a bit of a selection in outdoor stuff!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts