Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into getting a pressure canner...what size in Qt should i get? is there a normal/average size that people usually get?
what is the typical price also?

i dont plan on canning too much at one time as i live in the city

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
16qt. is what we have you can get 7 qt jars in it . if you get one any bigger its to heavy.you can get 9 pt jars in it also.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Get the biggest you can afford. Buy extra gasket(s) when you buy it. All-American (C) uses machined joint for a gasketless seal. If you are interested in one of those, pm.

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
16qt works good for me.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Just be careful if you have an electric flat top range. The cookers that do not have a flat bottom cannot be used with them. Also, the larger cookers can cause cracking from weight on the flat top ranges.
Of course, if the SHTF, that flat top electric will no longer be a problem.:D:

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one I have, and I love it. Much more useful than the smaller one I also have and much lighter than my old one was/is. I couldn't find it in the store, but they have free shipping to your nearest store, which is what I did.
Could you please tell me if it has a flat bottom? Cause like Maurepas cautioned I do have an electric flat top range...

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I have an All American #925 and I am very happy with it. Also no rubber gasket to replace so All American is a good choice if parts become hard to get.

https://store.wafco.com/ezmerchant/home.nsf

Once you get going with canning you will find that you want the largest canner you can fit on your stove, the 925 just clears the underside of our over range microwave / fan. It is just as easy to make a 16 jar batch of something as it is to make an 8 jar batch, just something to think about.

Regards,

Kevin.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
I wouldn't be so worried about no being able to carry it. It's not too big of a deal when it's still cool, and many times you will just let it cool on it's own accord. After waiting that long, I'd just as soon have twice the number of cans finished.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Could you please tell me if it has a flat bottom? Cause like Maurepas cautioned I do have an electric flat top range...

Thanks!!!
If I remember right, it recommended against a flat top electric range. And yes, the bottom of the canner is flat. Strangely enough, it also warned not to use it on a turkey cooker. I never would have thought of that to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies! I have a question on getting a smaller 16-18Qt one.
Can one that small be used for doing the boiling water method with quart jars? I've read that the canner isnt tall enought to hold that much water...

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
i haven't tried it with mine but a quart jar is only about one inch below the top so you probably could only do pints.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts