Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you get a box blade, is it supposed to cover your tracks? My tractor is 6.5' wide... is a typical 6' good or do I need 7'?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Are your tires slid in to the minimum tread width? It just depends on what you want to do with it as to how important it is to have it wider than the tractor tread. If you are just going to be grading to fill in holes, I wouldn't pay much extra for a wider blade. 3" on each side will barely be noticeable. If you need it past tread width on one side to cut a ditch, etc. just off-set your lift arms to shift the blade to one side.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
I run a seven foot box on the JD.
It is approx 6 inches wider than the rear tires.
I like the uniformity it leaves behind.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run a seven foot box on the JD.
It is approx 6 inches wider than the rear tires.
I like the uniformity it leaves behind.
What size tractor?

Biggest thing I'm wondering is whether it's more important to cover your tracks, or more important to be able to drive your tires right next to trees without the box blade catching the tree, as I have many that I am trying to clean up.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
What size tractor?

Biggest thing I'm wondering is whether it's more important to cover your tracks, or more important to be able to drive your tires right next to trees without the box blade catching the tree, as I have many that I am trying to clean up.

The 5065 uses the 7 foot box. I have a 4120 that has near the same width rears, but it uses a five footer when it needs the attachment.

After a while, you automatically "feel" the extra clearance needed when you drag the box. Once you get the hang of it, you can do both... cover tracks and get REAL close to trees, walls, someone's foot! :D:

Either run in 4 wheel drive, or with lower rear tire pressure and you should be fine. Never underestimate the power in your tractor...

·
Registered
129 Posts
60 horse Ford 4630 that weighs 5,200+ pounds. I doubt an extra foot worth of box blade will stop it.
I would go for just covering the tracks if you want to be really close to things, other wise go for 8-10ft to get things done.

Are you getting one with teeth, they seem to help alot over a normal one.

For the best health of the tree you shouldn't be driving near it and compacting the soil. The top sod layer should be removed and wood chips/mulch places around it. But that is an Arborist thing, and sometimes I get too close when mowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts