Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking a putting together a go bag/mini bug out bag for talking with me to work and when I'm out and about. Ideally it would need to allow me to get home (about an 8 hour walk) or get to some other place of safety that could be a few days away. I live in the suburbs and work in the city centre.

What should I put in this bag? Does anyone have any recommendations on what bag I should get?

Deo iuvante
Good walking/hiking shoes and other clothes to get home in. Bivy sack and emergency blanket. A bit of food. Water or something to purify water if there are bodies of water along your route home. Roll of quarters if any payphones still exist on your route -- or vending machines. First aid kit. Work gloves and hard hat if you live in an earthquake zone and anticipate having to navigate fallen buildings. Map and or compass if anticipated disaster could disorient you. Cordage. Knife. Other stuff.

Registered
You need food and water. I prefer good walking shoes (Merrill)as everyday shoe. You have your CCW and a good solid folder knife? A lot depends on the terrain and weather/climate. You will have different requirements for Miami, FL, vs New York or Chicago.

For basics: a 2 liter bladder, Sawyer Straw/filter and a SS cup for water. High caloric bars for food. Clothing: lightweight poncho, serviceable every day clothing, zipper front hooded sweatshirt. If an 8 hour walk, you are not going to stop. Fire starting gear and head lamp, with red and white LED . Bare minimum.

Once you start looking at longer distances or time in route, then you are going to have a bigger/heavier bag since it will include night survival, with a SOL mylar foil/bivvy bag, more food, perhaps warmer clothing etc. Next step up is a full Bug out bag.

Registered
If your car breaks down, I would say a cell phone, AAA membership and a bit of cash. Maybe a bottle of water and a snack. That should do you. If a plane should crash in front of you, that is a different story. If a riot breaks out that is another scenario. What type of situation do you expect?

Registered
This takes a good bit of planning, but you need to think about what type of emergencies you are more likely to encounter on a daily basis, then plan accordingly. I am quite frequently tweaking my get home bag. But one thing is for sure, it is getting smaller and lighter.

The other day I was watching raw footage from 9/11 where a camera person was walking around filming. There were 3 things I saw that were a necessity during 9/11: 1) Water. People were yelling for water. Not so much for drinking, they needed water to irrigate their eyes out from all the debris when the buildings collapsed. If you can't see because you have stuff in your eyes, that is a seriously bad situation. And sure, you need water for drinking. The problem is, water is very heavy; but it is worth carrying some. 2) Goggles. You definitely need to protect your eyes for the obvious reason. If you can't see because you have debris or a foreign body in your eye, then you are at the mercy of other people. 3) Respirators and face masks. People were gagging, coughing, gasping for air from breathing all the debris in the air. Many people were using rags and anything they could find to create a make-shift face mask.

Some other items I believe are important for myself, but these are certainly not all that you will need: cash, flashlights, extra batteries, small radio, rain suit, walking shoes with extra socks, knives, ways to create fire, first-aid kit, a small concealable handgun with some extra ammo, female hygiene products, handkerchiefs, hat, small survival kit, small amount of food, hard candy, water filter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If your car breaks down, I would say a cell phone, AAA membership and a bit of cash. Maybe a bottle of water and a snack. That should do you. If a plane should crash in front of you, that is a different story. If a riot breaks out that is another scenario. What type of situation do you expect?
It's hard to predict what could happen to be honest. In terms of natural disaster we get some pretty bad storms that can put the power out, as well as fires. They have been some pretty serious protests about immigrants in the country recently so we could see some race riots at one point, terrorism is also an issue. It's a bit hard to predict

GunControl=People Control
There is often a need for more than this, but a minimum would be some water [plus a bottle of water you can drink before you set off so you won't get thirsty quickly], some artificial light, comfortable walking shoes if you're not already wearing them, a hat, sunscreen cream if that's relevant to your area, a snack bar or two, some money, a phone [if you're not already carrying one], first aid [basic], something with sugar for comfort.

Other things to consider, or for more than one day: water filter, eye mask, nose/mouth mask, phone recharger, warm clothing, cool clothing, rain wear, fresh socks, first aid [more elaborate].

Registered
Welcome to the forum.

A lot depends on how far you have to travel to get back home. As said before the bag your thinking of is called a Get Home Bag or GHB. If you have to travel on foot for more then a day, then you'll need more of a camping kit, but if not then it will just be the basics.

You'll also need to include stuff for an escape if you work in a high rise building, otherwise don't worry about things like crow bars.

In my experience in working in London etc., I found these were needed when hoofing it out of the city or across it:

Comfortable foot wear
Food - sneaker bars, museli bars, candy
Water
A map of the area
Sewing kit
Toilet paper/tissues
Mask
FA kit
A flashlight

The rest depends on your climate - in the Uk then wet weather gear or an umbrella etc. The rest your length of travel time, which may mean a way to heat food, a shelter of some sort.

As for the bag, it needs to fit in with what others use around you. If everyone uses a plain black backpack then use that. Don't use camo or Molle stuff unless a lot of others do the same, it might make you a target. Camo stuff round here will identify you with military personnel, even wearing certain shades of green, as no one wears it.

Registered
Rural prepper: my GHB is a shoulder messenger bag.
Small poncho
folding knife/multitool
FAK(small bandaids,tape, aspirin, Neosporin)
Stainless water bottle(pint size-can boil if needed)
Compass/map/pen/small notepad
sunglasses(cheapies)
Bandana(use as face mask, sling, towel, scrape cotton for fire)
Lighter/faro rod/matches(strike anywhere)
$20(in singles)
small mini mag lite

Registered
Welcome To This Excellent Forum ...

Eight hours? On foot? A minimal approach? Thataway nailed it and thank you. Water, water, a good jacket (we do not know your weather, seasons or climate concerns) and more water along with some excellent boots like already said better before me.

If rainy and cold, consider some sort of thin water proof painters clear plastic thin mill tarp. A pocket full of candy bars. If hot and buggy, some non stink bug ointment. That is it. Also first a very well thought out detailed action plan that has been tested a lot.

You will be scared poop less. Forget the bath or staying clean. Everybody else will stink also. Just squat to poop. Try to blend in. Keep a very close observational situation indeed. Your eight hours may turn into three days. A good excuse to get into shape.

Again welcome to this forum. Don't forget to hit the HUGE archives. Prepping CAN BE FUN but usually is not. You will soon see through different eyes indeed. Every sollution creates more questions. Knowledge plus experience is the key. You can do this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Your eight hours may turn into three days. A good excuse to get into shape.
Totally agreed, I was pretty lazy when it came to exercise in 2015 so I've started going back out again in the morning. I've pretty much settled on what I'm carrying, I found an article on the art of manliness and combined with the ideas here I think i'm set.

King of Canada
Totally agreed, I was pretty lazy when it came to exercise in 2015 so I've started going back out again in the morning. I've pretty much settled on what I'm carrying, I found an article on the art of manliness and combined with the ideas here I think i'm set.
Post your list, I'd like to see what the "art of manliness" thinks.

Thank you.

PS-I have my EDC/GHB down.

Remove Kebab
I carry a 5.11 patrol bag, duty belt (with a Glock 23, cuffs, pepper spray, folding knife, push dagger, two extra magazines, first aid kit, SOF-T tourniquet, two flashlights and gloves) and a Sig M400 to work every day. The bag contains a couple extra magazines, a days worth of food, my fish oil, two days of water, spare cuffs, extra box of ammo, green safety vest, warm weather clothing, Leatherman, Mora knife, chem lights, extra pens, my cell phone charger and of course a can opener.

Registered
All of the advice given is good. One thing I'd like to add is to change your loadout based on seasons. Right now it's bitter cold here (-1 Fahrenheit,-20 with windchill), so getting home without frostbite would be something you'd want to take into consideration. Although this seems like a major disadvantage to overcome, I view it as an advantage. If you are prepared to handle temps like this, you'll have a better chance of getting home safely without "undesirables" stopping you, or possibly trying to take what you have.

Personally, I find that Camelbak makes a nice variety of bags in different sizes and configurations, and they have bladders so you are never without water. They are comfortable, and if you get the right size can handle just about anything you'll need for a short term/ get home type of bag.

Registered
Wide open questions usually case many different opinions and arguments. Considering your walk is approx. 8 ours you will most likely be out overnight. (here is roughly what's in mine)
A military Poncho, Henry AR-7 (2-100 round boxes of CCI Mini Mags and 50 Subsonics), 6-cliff bars, extra canteen (I use a canteen kit as a water bottle at work), an extra layer of seasonal clothing, 3-Short road flares, an Orion flare pen with 6 flares, 100' Paracord, SOG Seal Pup, SOL Emergency bivy AND the 2 person blanket, Strapped to the bottom is an old wool blanket, first aid kit (with 12 Vicodins) This is all in a small Pack that sits in my shop when I get to work and rides every where I go with me)
Bear in mind my company's Orthodox Jewish owner encourages me to CCW at work. (that was a whole 'nutha interesting conversation, HE damn near made it mandatory)
My Choice for an AR-7 actually has a good bit of thought in it.
1. 50 state legal gun (I'm in Western Communist New York)
2. I can supplement my power bars very easy with a .22
3. Cary LOTS of ammo while walking
4. Share ammo with a PT-22 on my ankle
5. Fits in my bag.... :thumb:
6. The new ones from Henry are very accurate
Now I carry (VERY NICE) handmade belt knife at work with a ferro rod mounted to the sheath and being a smoker I usually have 3 mini-Bics on me
I can confidently get anywhere I need to go with this set up (I did a week in woods with the same set up)

Registered
What do you have your go bag for? Mine is incase I have to get a family member What ever it takes I will get them and bring then home. But now I am retired. When I worked I crossed the San Andreas Fault every day From Simi Valley to Lancaster in the Antelope Valley CA. I told my wife if their is a earth quake I will get home but it mite take a couple of days.

Registered
I had the same idea this weekend and here is what I came up with... I bought a European bread bag and it has 3 inside pockets and a rather large compartment. I placed 6 30 rd. mags for my 300 blk. out and the rest is medical gear with fire capabilities. I also added a 1liter canteen. I live 14 miles from where I work so for me to travel from anywhere I go to get to a safe area on foot this is the bare minimum to get me there. my best bud lives 1/2 mile from my work, my family within 7 miles. To get to anywhere safe I am golden Pony Boy. Oh yea my evil black rifle is also with me at all times. I can hoof it or drive. hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts