Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a single 22 year old male who moves alot and therefore doesn't own much. i live near the osu campus in columbus ohio. i have no family and only a few friends who i'm not to close to. i work a job that doesn't allow me to save much money after the bills are paid. i own one gun and its a taurus pt111 mil pro. i have 2 mags for it and 250 rds. i have experience with guns and the outdoors. i dont have a car and i travel by bus and bike. the question is given these facts what should i do if the SHTF and it is no longer safe to stay at my apartment? would you recommend going to SE ohio where i can hunt and there are few people? like i said i am pretty good outdoors. and how should i go about leaving the city if i should leave it at all? and what do i need to take with? all gear needs to be light and compact. i'm thinking of getting a kel tec sub 2000 and a heritage arms rough rider .22 revolver soon. if anyone has any decent BOL to recommend let's hear them.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Do You Have To Stay In Ohio?

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but you need to seriously re-assess where you are and where you are going in life. Ohio is a crowded place with large populations of people who have helped in the decline of America. Is that the sort of place you want to be post SHTF?

You're 22 - that means with few exceptions (professional sports, for instance) you are still young enough to orchestrate major changes in direction in your life.

The first thing I would do in your situation is seek out training in a skill that would let me squirrel away some money on a regular basis. If you can't save, you can't prep. The key to successful prepping is simultaneously be prepared for scenarios in which everything hits the fan, and continuing normalcy.

Then I would look at states west of the Mississippi and relocate.

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
Join the National Guard, goto OSU (the guard will pay for it), improve your base life. Maybe TEOTWAWKI will happen, maybe not. But your current course is taking you in that direction anyhow.

YMMV,
Chad

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
i am a single 22 year old male who moves alot and therefore doesn't own much. i live near the osu campus in columbus ohio. i have no family and only a few friends who i'm not to close to. i work a job that doesn't allow me to save much money after the bills are paid. i own one gun and its a taurus pt111 mil pro. i have 2 mags for it and 250 rds. i have experience with guns and the outdoors. i dont have a car and i travel by bus and bike. the question is given these facts what should i do if the SHTF and it is no longer safe to stay at my apartment? would you recommend going to SE ohio where i can hunt and there are few people? like i said i am pretty good outdoors. and how should i go about leaving the city if i should leave it at all? and what do i need to take with? all gear needs to be light and compact. i'm thinking of getting a kel tec sub 2000 and a heritage arms rough rider .22 revolver soon. if anyone has any decent BOL to recommend let's hear them.
Maybe I'm just being testy here, but a couple days ago in the firearms sticky, What Do You Own, you said you had the following:

m44 carbine
stevens model 15
taurus pt111 mil pro
ja22 pistol
remington 870 express magnum
hi point c9
armscor m30r6

wtb: cetme, kel tec sub 2000, glock 19 or 26, heratige arms rough rider

Did you sell em all except the Taurus?

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Good investigative work, Tx! The man doesn't even seem to own a CAPS key. If I were him, I would stock up on one of those first. :) (j/k for those who can't see my sarcasm)

·
Banned
468 Posts
Myself, if I was your age again I would head west. Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota. They need young healthy men and women to grow their industries and their looking for them. Go West Young Man.:thumb:

·
Registered
166 Posts

Another Buckeye, I live near campus too. Also own a Taurus, but I've got a 24/7, I like the fullsize frame. Personally I'm headed up northwest part of state, more family and a lot of open ground around those parts with plenty of wooded areas for game, but a lot of hunters up that way to. Do you know of any ranges down here in c-bus? I need to run some rounds through my Taurus

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another Buckeye, I live near campus too. Also own a Taurus, but I've got a 24/7, I like the fullsize frame. Personally I'm headed up northwest part of state, more family and a lot of open ground around those parts with plenty of wooded areas for game, but a lot of hunters up that way to. Do you know of any ranges down here in c-bus? I need to run some rounds through my Taurus
I live about 30 miles outside of Columbus. I plan on bugging in, but we have plenty of woods around here that I could disappear into if things got too nasty.
As far as ranges go, I usually shoot on my own land so the only range I've been to is the one I took my CCW class at, Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware. It's a fantastic place with a great staff and large shop on-site. They have pretty much any kind of range you'd want (except long range precision rifle) so you should be happy as a lark with your Taurus. I may be going back soon for the Advanced CCW class. Check it out if Delaware is within reasonable distance from you.

Another option I've heard nothing but great things about is The Powder Room in Powell. I haven't been there though so I can't give any first-hand details.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Think about what your dream job is, then work towards that with every job you do. Hopefully it will be something along the line that you could use after SHTF.

Get yourself educated, in your 20s there still a lot of opportunity to do this.

Look at the dumpster diving threads as theres a lot of stuff you can get for free and also lots obtained extremely cheaply from yard sales.

Work on your BOB first, and then on getting other preps. You say you already have a bike so you could use that as a Bug out vehicle. Theres lots of stuff on here about bike rig ups.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts