Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Permaculturist
1,032 Posts
next year i'm going on this big camping trip and i was wondering what i would need to bring incase of an accident or anything else.

I'll ask to spare others from typing them out themselves:

How long will you be going camping?

Around what time of the year will you be going camping?

Where will you be going camping?

What type of vehicle will you be driving to go camping (i.e. not driving/backpack, driving then backpack? Driving then setting up camp? Driving cargo van / driving SUV / driving rice rocket ?

The more details you provide, the more details we can provide.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll ask to spare others from typing them out themselves:

How long will you be going camping?

Around what time of the year will you be going camping?

Where will you be going camping?

What type of vehicle will you be driving to go camping (i.e. not driving/backpack, driving then backpack? Driving then setting up camp? Driving cargo van / driving SUV / driving rice rocket ?

The more details you provide, the more details we can provide.
Beat me to it LOL, need the details unless your gonna go Les Stroud style.

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
I’m assuming car camping. Deep woods/mountain hiking isn’t for newbies in a group unless there are a couple experienced people along.

Plan your trip. Leave an itinerary with a responsible person. Do not deviate from the itinerary unless you are able to notify the person. Don’t stay later unless you are able to notify the person.

Toilet paper

Sunscreen

Bug repellent (personal & tent spray)

Plenty of matches/lighters/fire starters/tinder

Topo map of the area and a good compass

Trash bags (pack out what you pack in)

Plenty of water (water purifier if you’re going to be gone long)

Tent(s)

Sleeping bag and pad for each member of the family

Lantern & flashlights to see at night

Stove to cook meals on

Cook kit/kitchen kit (cooking pots/pans, plates/bowls/cups/knife/fork/spoon, spatula, large spoons, plastic dishpan, paper towels, etc)

First aid kit

Large survival kit for the group

Individual survival kits for each member

Non perishable foods

Something to do during a rainy day. Book/games/etc.

Shovel or e-tool

Sven saw if it is legal to cut dead wood

Cooler w/ice for the first couple days and some perishable foods

Folding table & chairs if there aren’t any facilities

Chemical toilet if there aren’t toilet facilities (going in the woods is problematic now adays)

If you are back packing in, lose the table and chairs, toilet, cooler and the bulky kitchen stuff. Add back packs.

·
Permaculturist
1,032 Posts
sorry i'm underage xD
Ok! Thanks for filling in the detail regarding 'in case of accident'. That makes a huge difference, you're not looking for everything, just accident-related stuff. As far as preventing an accident, remember this: Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance.

A fire extinguisher (fire accident), some bear pepper spray (animal accident), a first aid kid (human accident), moleskin (foot accidents) are probably important to have along.

Don't forget little things that can PREVENT accidents, such as a pair of work gloves that fit well (prevent hand accidents), an extra pair of boots & socks (prevent blister accidents), and some pure saline solution & safety goggles if you are cutting wood (prevent/deal with eye accidents). Make sure your first aid kit has a pair of tweezers in case you get a splinter or a tick. Bring a handheld mirror in case you get a tick in a place that you cannot see, or, you get something in your eye. Q-Tips work really well for getting things out of your eye if you have a mirror around.

You mentioned you'll be going in the summer. Don't forget insect spray, hydrocortisone cream (anti-itch cream), and over-the-counter benadryl. Bring along some over-the-counter cream to deal with poison ivy, and learn what poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac look like so you know how to avoid them.

Bring a hat & possibly some sunblock to avoid getting sunburned. Bring more water than you think you need. If you want to bring Gatorade, bring it as a powder mix, so you have a choice whether you want water or gatorade. Gatorade has a lot of salt in it and can really make you thirsty.

To prevent an issue with swarms of insects, you might want to get yourself a mesh insect hood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.