Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This survival kit was was inteh camping isle at Shopko and is cost $11.95, for 5 band aids, plastic whistle, tea light candle, and a small box of 'water proof' matches; a that tool looked 99.9% worthless and the box was supposedly water proof as well but it did't seem to seal that tight.

I see no reason to carry junk, it's just a waste of weight and a disappointment when it fails to do it's job. Buy the best you can afford and you wont have to be sorry later.

Of course Shopko is not well known for it's 'survivalist' supplies for a reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
You seem to have forgotten this from the early 2000s Soccer mom SUV craze.

Where as $12 bucks for a survival kit is steep. I would take a $12 kit over nothing any day! We all make beginner mistakes and buy stuff like that - some of us just know better now.

·
first class white trash
1,186 Posts
while it may not be the best kit out there(far from it) at least it has the chance of making someone think about the "what if".maybe they will buy it, then decide to search for other kits, or preparedness related items. maybe they wont buy it, but instead go home and start researching.or, maybe they they will see iot and think to themselves "oh, look, crazy people stuff. now just where is the suntan lotion and flip flops". who knows?

of course, the more people that start prepping, the more expensive prepping becomes.maybe they will find the beach fun aisle first.lol

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
I see no reason to carry junk, it's just a waste of weight and a disappointment when it fails to do it's job. Buy the best you can afford and you wont have to be sorry later.
We share the same sentiment but on these forums, as well as some others, I'm not just criticizing these forums...people think you and I just worship "expensive toys" or whatever other derogatory term they can throw out.

Now, I will say this, if you don't have your preferred and better gear, you should be able to use any piece of absolute trash to try to do the best you can. But buying the trash to start out with and fooling yourself that you know what you are doing or that it will be good enough or any other such thing is just stupid as far as I can ascertain.

It's like with knives, buy good cutlery. Anything can be deliberately broken so don't get into the knife-breaking cults of knife worship. But...know how to use what is left of a knife should your's break, etc. That's the way to look at these things.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
For less than $12, they can hit garage sales and do better. If the tool is crap, better to not even get it.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Thats something you see on the rack near the check out in the bigbox sporting goods stores...It might be attractive to the person who impulse buys. Though it's actual worth is questionable. I build my own kits use good stuff and smile when I see somebody buy one of those. It is a glorified bandaid box...

If you really want to do it right you set up your own kit, of course we all know that...right...;)

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Better than nothing.
I disagree. I think it's worse than nothing because it instills a false sense of security. We all know that kit is a joke. But those that purchase such kits don't know better. Since they dont know better, they got a "survival kit" and are good to go.

Most store-bought first aid kits are the same. Some bandaids, a few alcohol pads, and two aspirins. If you buy a "deluxe kit", it might have one cold compress and an ace wrap.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Think about it. Sheeple dont go too far off the beaten path. Might be enough to tide them over until help arrives... My worst case scenario is no help all winter Build a cabin with a Ka-Bar and spear elk with spring traps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reminds me of the episode of Survivorman where Stroud was given one of those sardine can survival kits. In it was instructions no how to survive, to which Stroud gave a hilarious response.

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
honestly go to the walgreens or whatever and put together a "kit"
this isn't a bad marketing idea, at least it raises awareness.

But.. besides maybe fishooks, line and a good knife you could get all of that stuff at the local drugstore. alot cheaper. toss it in a 1gallon freezer bag, or a 6.99 kid's toy "container" and call it a day.

waterproof matches you could make with regular matches and nail polish, you could add in antibiotic ointment, sewing needles and thread, and a slew of other stuff for less than the cost of that. ;)

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
This survival kit was was inteh camping isle at Shopko and is cost $11.95, for 5 band aids, plastic whistle, tea light candle, and a small box of 'water proof' matches; a that tool looked 99.9% worthless and the box was supposedly water proof as well but it did't seem to seal that tight.

Of course Shopko is not well known for it's 'survivalist' supplies for a reason.
I'll be honest and say I actually bought one VERY similar to that one(ALMOST Identical actually). However I did so knowing it was junk, I just wanted the box and carabiner. The "Waterproof matches" in mine weren't even humidity proof. Sure I spent too much for what I wanted out of it, but couldn't find a box shaped like that. Oh well. But the carabiner was aluminum so made a good clip for a compass I have. I got mine from Advance Auto parts. I can Promise you they aren't known for carrying survival gear.:D:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts

dude.thats not for US................thats for the soccer mom who thinks going to the local nature park is a trip into the wilderness............but she plans to be home before night fall

·
Registered
6 Posts
I disagree. I think it's worse than nothing because it instills a false sense of security. We all know that kit is a joke. But those that purchase such kits don't know better. Since they dont know better, they got a "survival kit" and are good to go.

Most store-bought first aid kits are the same. Some bandaids, a few alcohol pads, and two aspirins. If you buy a "deluxe kit", it might have one cold compress and an ace wrap.
I totally agree, having the cheap survival kit is worse then having nothing. It gives a false since of security. Maybe the same person that didn't buy the the cheap survival kit would give a second thought to doing something that has a high risk of landing them in a survival scenario... and perhaps this will remind the person when they are out shopping to get some decent survival gear.

Ironically, if you are the maker of cheap survival kits, perhaps it's best for the company to make it as worthless as it could possibly be, that way there is less chance of the customer / survivor being found and telling everyone about the POS survival gear that nearly got them killed.

Cheap survival kits are just something people buy so that can feel better, they aren't for actual use because anyone who opens up one of these cheap kits should be able to see 1) the items break too fast and don't work well 2) the items in the kit aren't aren't worth anything close to the price of the kit.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't like "pre-packaged" survival kits. They would be a little better than nothing...but barely. To me my kit is very personal! I have worked on it literally for years. Every few months I take things out, put new things in, experiment with it often. You bob or survival kit should be a works in progress. Never just put something in it, throw it under the bed, and forget about it! I often buy or make 2 of everything so I can field test the item under real conditions and then have the identical piece in my kit for when I need it. By doing so you know how to use each item, you know that item is dependable, and you have real confidence in your kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts