Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

What will be done with your PETs??????

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the people Bugging out, what will be done with the pets? I'm sure there are some that carry their weight and are worth the cost of food to feed them, but the others... What is their fate? This includes all pets.

If things are bad enough (Complete Social Breakdown) I will eat mine. I will never let them suffer, even though Axle (one of my cats) tries to lay on my face while I'm sleeping. lol

If my family does not need the food I will let them go in a place I think they can survive.

I have 3 cats and one fattened stubby mutt. I love those little suckers a lot. :thumb:

Pointblank

·
Bail me out
398 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Large dog - Boxer has a dog pack (2500 sq inches I think) and the goats have been trained to pull a cart or pack and can be loaded into a 2x dog crate that fits in the back of the 4x4. The chi's are very small (under 4 lbs each x 2) and usally ride on the goats pack if we take them. I would only take the 2 dairy goat girls and 1 male (pygmy to save space but still be able to breed and produce meat)- the rest will be food. The rabbits and chickens will paired of into 2's and the rest ate. The dogs eat a raw diet so they can eat the leftover pieces from our meat - the goats, chickens & rabbits eat things found in nature so free food.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I love my babies and would protect them at all cost. And if things got bad enough, I would put them down so none of them suffer. Heck, they have more food stored than I do!
When I starting stocking water, I figured in how much per day they would all need besides myself. Outside of what I'll be able to store in containers when it all goes down, they have the same amount of water I do.
This was no easy task. I had to crawl under my house and find the room that I thought had the best beams supporting it. I check every morning to make sure it all hasn't fallen through the floor!

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
Not sure about the cat since it's clawless and whiney, but the dog is sure as hell coming with us. She's small, but she's scrappy as all get out and protective too. Very observant and suspicious of the people she should be suspicious of.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Every dog I have had is a natural hunter. This is true of most dogs. Even though I do not let him, my Rott chases rabbits, cats, squirrels ...Etc. I think feeding himself would not be a problem til he got older then it would be my time to care for him, which I would do with no question.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a she-cat... dosnt do much, but she dosnt eat much, and she's good company. If I wind up being on my own and isolated for a long period of time, Id rather have her than be forced to talk to Wilson... damn ball has got a bad attiutude since I left him in the pool last week.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've wrestled with this question myself. I have a declawed cat who has been with me for 13 years, and a chihuahua I've had for almost 8. Neither would have much luck suriviving on their own in the wild (tiny dog and declawed cat). Worse, the dog could be a liability if we needed to stay hidden, as he is a yapper and tends to bark at most strangers (thought this could be an advantage as well if we are holing up somewhere and need a watch dog).

I suppose it would depend on the manner of our "bugging out". If we had a vehicle and an idea of someplace safe to drive to, I'd do everything I could to bring them. If we had to leave on foot, I'd either set them free (knowing they would probably get killed) or...see to it that they didn't suffer.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have the will to do the latter.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
This is no help too the posters here, but I have no pets.
I had a good working hog dog (Red nose, Red Pitbull terrier) years ago.
He was 85 lbs. and yes he carried his own wieght.
I worked with that dog daily, from him being a puppy.
He was the best, and last animal I will ever have.
If he were still alive, yes he would go with me, he always did, even too work.
He was always with me.
I don't want too lose another.
I get too attatched, and I have done stupid things because of that dog.
Once he fell through the ice, over a frozen pond.
Yes, I went in after him, and I could have easily drowned, not too mention hyperthernia could have set in.
That was stupid, but he, and I both survived.
I decided, I would rather not have an animal, that I would risk my life for after that little incident.
He survived for another 6 years, and I have not ever looked too replace him.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
I had to vote for two choices because I have two different kinds of pets. For my 2 cats I have stored some food for. My other pets pose a bit of a problem. I have a salt water reef tank. The fish and corals are not something that's portable. I can maintain them as long as I have electricity but if that goes out for more than a day they are toast and there is nothing I can do. I could not even support them with a generator because of the vast amount of electricity the tank needs. They need perfect water parameters which requires me to use a RODI water filter that also needs electricity from my well pump to run. Frankly, they are screwed and I will cross that bridge when it comes. :(

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I have a sheppard and she will go with us also, we have stred food for her at our planned places.
But even if we don't make it there we all will make it.

Rev. sorry for your loss,

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
My dogs are family members. I treat them just like the others, in fact better. For security and protection purposes they are too important to get rid of.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
wow 8im glad to see these responses. the last time this exact question was asked, the huge majority said they would kill or eat their pets. i have a small battalion of dogs so it will be tough, but im bugging in and i have put food away for them.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Started buying the 12 packs of food off the bottom shelf each time we go and get reg dog food. A little stockpile for them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts