Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do some looking around at what you guys have said, but I have a little bit of knowledge. I am not really diggin the AR rifles due to the neccessity for constant cleaning, and the expensive components. I want something more affordable.

I see that the AK is a more powerful cartridge(7.62)than the AR. Even though less accurate.

There are far more pwerful rifles than the AK but this is the one Ive been liking. Due to the power, dont have to clean as much, ease of use, compactability, high rounds capable.

I guess the only bad thing Im seeing about AK is the inacuracy.

What would u think I should look at?

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
Based upon what you posted this is a primary defensive long arm correct?

If so, and if I am reading you right, look at the Mini 30. Inexpensive, accurate and covers everything you asked for.

http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

They usually go for $700 or so (+/- $100).

And, read up on the various threads in this forum before relying upon internet rumor, old information and assumptions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
you might want to try an sks, i love my russian. they are pretty acurate under 200 yards. the only problem for me is i cant have just 1.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
I am going to do some looking around at what you guys have said, but I have a little bit of knowledge. I am not really diggin the AR rifles due to the neccessity for constant cleaning, and the expensive components. I want something more affordable.

I see that the AK is a more powerful cartridge(7.62)than the AR. Even though less accurate.

There are far more pwerful rifles than the AK but this is the one Ive been liking. Due to the power, dont have to clean as much, ease of use, compactability, high rounds capable.

Get you a Saiga 7.62x39 & convert it to a Ak47 clone it has the same action as an AK.
It's very accurate, very reliable & cheap 350.00 about 100.00 to convert or leave it as it comes.

I have 3 of them , one has over 1000 rnds thru it and it has never failed to go bang and accurate with small scope to 250. yrds.

Pics of the gun and the Target the holes in the circle at 250 yrds and I'm a terrible shot.

·
Farm Security for Hire
305 Posts

The Inter-Ordnance AK 47c can print a 2 inch group at 100 meters. That's not to say that I am recommending AK's over AR's. After having extensive experience with both weapon systems during my military career, I spent more than a year and a half trying to decide which one I wanted to buy for myself. I chose the AK, and I am very happy with that choice (But that doesn't mean that I don't look at people's sweet AR's and get a little jealous).

I chose the AK for a few reasons:

1) Everything is cheaper. The rifle, magazines, parts, ammo. Sure, you can spend a bunch of money murdering out your AK with a bunch of tactical gear, but most AK owners don't go that route. If I bought an AR, I would be tempted to turn it into a money pit (a glorious money pit), I would be constantly looking for the next thing to attach to my rifle.

2) Magazines. Tapco magazines, a product that I am willing to stand by (so far), are less than 8 dollars on Cheaperthandirt. Which is good, because I have a goal of stocking 100 magazines per weapon system. Why one hundred? Because it's a good round number, and it sounds less crazy than a million billion gazillion, which is my actual goal, and the AK can help me keep them. I have trained so long with the M16 series rifles that I know one way to reload. Without going into all the details of reloading in a tactical environment, I drop that empty mag on the ground and forget it ever existed. That magazine is dead to me. Because when you're in the Army, there are always more magazines. You just go to the magazine market and buy 4 more bushells of magazines.

Not so post SHTF. The magazines you have might be all the magazines there are ever going to be. The AK's magazine solution is more conducive to retaining empty magazines for later use. You use your non-firing hand to clear the magazine from the mag well, and since it's already in your hand, it's a short leap to train yourself to stow it in a dump pouch or cargo pocket before swapping out with a fresh mag. This is going to be slower to reload than and AR (by a lot), so it might be good to practice rifle/pistol transitions for time-is-life situations.

These are a couple reasons why I personally went with the AK. As for you, I can't tell you what to get. I could barely decide myself. But whatever you get, be proficient with it. Don't just practice shooting. Practice FIGHTING. Printing neat little groups on a target from the prone supported is satisfying, but it won't help you when you need to fight from a car. If you're buying a rifle for self defense, you need to sometimes replicate self defense situations. I have been considering picking up an AK mock-up .22 just so I can practice more, because I don't have endless boatloads of money, even for 7.62x39. If I did have that kind of cash, I would have an AR.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based upon what you posted this is a primary defensive long arm correct?

If so, and if I am reading you right, look at the Mini 30. Inexpensive, accurate and covers everything you asked for.

http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

They usually go for $700 or so (+/- $100).

And, read up on the various threads in this forum before relying upon internet rumor, old information and assumptions.
thnx for replying, and I guess I may be getting my information off those things.. but isnt this forum a part of those things? I get most the info I know off of these forums.. shrug

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
primary defense longarm? Im not sure.. is it a long arm rifle(AK)? Primary? well so far it will be my primary and only rifle. Im not sure I will ever be a BIG gun nut, so I may not be buying much more. Ijust wanted to get a rifle next, If I do get another gun. I have one hand gun now. thats it.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get you a Saiga 7.62x39 & convert it to a Ak47 clone it has the same action as an AK.
It's very accurate, very reliable & cheap 350.00 about 100.00 to convert or leave it as it comes.

I have 3 of them , one has over 1000 rnds thru it and it has never failed to go bang and accurate with small scope to 250. yrds.

Pics of the gun and the Target the holes in the circle at 250 yrds and I'm a terrible shot.
can u tell me more about this conversion? pros cons? I have heard about it but never got really into the specification of it. :-D

·
Prepping...
160 Posts
Get a sks it's 7.62x39, reliable, and fairly accurate. It's not fancy like a AK or AR. It's easy to clean as well you lift 2 levers punch a button and the entire gun comes apart.

But from your original comments do you ever fire a gun and not clean it? with any weapon you should clean it as soon as you can, if you don't you increase wear and tear invite rust and corrosion. Learn to clean your gun before you shoot it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well i have a AR. And a AK. also a couple sks's for the price and ease of shooting and cleaning thier built like a tank is the sks. Then the AK. Get you a shotgun news magazine. Then you can look and compare prices. If your new a sks is a easy gun to learn on. And you can improve and build on the with differnt stocks and equipment like that. My cqr is a AK in 223. Open sites it holds about 2.5-3 in groups at 100yrd. Scoped it out shot my shorty ar. But either of the guns mentioned will do the job. The saiga conversion is good but maybe a little much for a beginner. The mini 30 is a good action and a good round but theres so many mini 14s,ars and aks out there around here mags and anything for thr mini 30 has to be ordered in. Nobody carries anything for them. Or the rifle it self.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
can u tell me more about this conversion? pros cons? I have heard about it but never got really into the specification of it. :-D
Go here http://forum.saiga-12.com/ and check the tech section there are video's & instructions on how to do it.

I did my first one in 2 hrs get faster after that,I have done six so far all you need is dremal type grinder, screw driver, few cobat drill bit's ( get at Sears)
I got all my parts here http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com

Basiclly you move the trigger forward, ad pistol grip (holes already there) new stock of choice, you have to make it 922r compliant al parts list can be found here http://forum.saiga-12.com/
let me know if you need more info

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
primary defense longarm? Im not sure.. is it a long arm rifle(AK)? Primary? well so far it will be my primary and only rifle. Im not sure I will ever be a BIG gun nut, so I may not be buying much more. Ijust wanted to get a rifle next, If I do get another gun. I have one hand gun now. thats it.
Looking at the above quote, I would suggest the AK type, since this is to be your only rifle, but would also suggest that you pick up a simple rifle chambered in 22lr at a later time.

Alot of folks dump on the WASR10/63, but after shooting several, and owning one for awhile now, it seems just as solid as any of my Chinese AK's ever were.......

............ with exception of the Tapco folding stock.

One can usually find the WASR's at a lower price compared to the other AK types, and also sport chrome lined tubes. Spare parts, mags, ammo, etc..... are relatively inexpensive.

My reasons for going with the WASR over the AR ......

1. Overall cost. ( Picked it up used for $175.00 along with a few mags)
2. Already have ammo, and mags for it.
3. This is my "beater/truck" gun, so I like reliable and simple for this role.
4. While this is not my primary rifle, I still prefer the caliber for dumping hogs in brush. ( Right now, hogs are doing more damage to my property than zombies are...lol)

Accessories can be had for the AK's, but I keep mine in the "no frills, non fancy" more or less stock format, even though this model sports the side optics mount.

Good luck with your decision.

11B

·
space samurai
455 Posts
if you cant get around to cleaning a rifle every 1000 rounds, you have the problem, not the rifle.

long day at the range, run your AR wet and keep going.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know you said rifle, but if this is going to be your only "long arm" then I would suggest a shotgun.

Easy to Opertate
Easy to Tear down (work on)
Easy to Clean
Plentiful ammo
Versatile
Powerful

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
I will be getting an AK in the fall. Around Thanksgiving time, they run about 300 bucks.

For the time being, my AR 15 will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I will be getting an AK in the fall. Around Thanksgiving time, they run about 300 bucks.

For the time being, my AR 15 will do just fine.
I'm not seeing any AK47s where I'm from for under $400 which is MN. On gun broker I dont see any going for lower then $400 either. Pawnshops are selling the worst of the worst for $400 and still moving them. While I understand you could build one for possibly cheaper I'm no longer getting the AK47 or even the SKS are such a great deal at the current prices. To me I'd rather spend the couple hundred extra, buy a american made new product with customer support backing it.

·
PaPaKAPture
248 Posts
Where the hell did you find an AK worth having for 300 bucks?
Buddy who is a manager at Dunhams.

He told me black Friday deals on them they can run that low. Hell, I got my 1100 gun safe for 700 bucks this last. Its a pain dealing with all the crazies, but who can pass up 1/2 off ammo?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts