Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Too many things to list (and we covered that in some of the other threads). But, as general guidance, I've been asking myself "What do I need on hand to stay out of the stores for the next 6+ months?" I've also asked "If I couldn't get ____ from the store right now, what could I use in it's place?" Extra food, cleaning supplies, masks, gloves, items for the kids/baby, feed and supplies for the animals, etc.

Overall, considering my budget and situation, I think my preps were in decent shape even before this virus mess (at lease for this current scenerio). However, I've spent a lot of money and time lately topping things off as best as I can, really thinking things through so that I make the best use of my money. There are dream preps I wish I would have on hand now, of course (better/more masks, medicines, rabbits, more solar lighting, etc.). I'll never, ever have enough. But I'm still in a better situation than most.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Emergen-C hydration paks, extra OtC meds, extra TP (almost impossible to stockpile around here!), trying to stay ahead on basics like pet food and coffee, gave some $$ to a family member to stock up since they may not be able to travel to our house. Also ramping up water supply. Prescription meds are my biggest worry, especially for very elderly family members.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
3m half face mask, 3m P100 filters

Mestrel SGE 400/3 full facemask,
40mm to 3m bayonet adapters
40mm Scott P100 filters

Unvented goggles

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,606 Posts
In the last week, spent probably $2500 mandatory and another $1000 for discretionary items related to this outbreak:

Large purchase of Mountain House freeze dried foods. Did two huge shopping trips and filled the refrigerator, deep freezer, and pantry. Fresh foods, frozen foods, and canned and dry goods. Lots of cleaning supplies, bleach, clorox wipes, soaps, etc. OTC meds and vitamins. Several months worth of dog food.

Lots of other supplies.

Got a car repair done on my 4x4 I'd been putting off. So now I have two reliable vehicles again.

Optional: In case of civil unrest turning violent, bought more ammunition factoring a halt in supply chain and delivery or price spikes.

* I'm not factoring a loss of utilities. I think the government will do everything feasible to maintain working utilities to avoid civil unrest. If we lose water and power it will be a nightmare scenario. Looking at China it seems no interruption in utilities is occurring, so I'm basing my conclusion on that. I have no way of storing enough gas for my generator to make a long-term difference if we lose power.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
I'm not figuring on the grid going down, either. At least not for long. Too dependent now on medical devices, and refrigeration for my insulin. I do have plenty of gas for the genny, no I'm not too sanguine about being able to keep it going, what with my handicap getting worse.

Glad I just bought a large stock of food for the cats. Long enough that the weather will warm up before it runs out. After that they'll have to forage for themselves. (Heck, they do anyway.)

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I bought a few things I had planned on buying but hadn't gotten around to. One thing is a radio , since we have no tv or any way other than internet to stay connected to the outside world. It's a shortwave plus regular radio, plus weather radio.

I also replaced food stocks we have been using up. Got lots of extra ammo early this year because we live in virginia...

We got a load of extra hay for the animals also and getting more grain tomorrow .

Nothing except the radio we won't use anyway, and that radio was about $ 90

I did buy all the available cans of bamboo shoots and coconut milk from china and thailand . Like to cook with those and they won't be available for a while most likely

·
?
2,211 Posts
Gloves, masks, hand sanitizer, topping off canned goods esp more fruit and canned meat than we usually use. Stockpiling OTC meds and vitamins that are made in China.

Biggest ticket items are two Yeti solar generators and panels that will be here next week. That was on the to do list anyway.

I'm thinking of getting another small chest freezer for meats and frozen fruit. If things go south enough (not expecting it due to COVID-19 here, but who knows), I can pressure can it.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts