Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dirt Dweller
92 Posts
So far no one wants to touch this thread. I guess I will. My oldest gun is a Taurus PT 99. It jammed on the first shot and it hasn't since. That was close to 40 years ago. Ive shot it a lot, and I mean a lot. As a Fathers Day gift last year my son replaced the barrel and recoil spring. Other than that its been flawless. Its still very reliable and attractive. It has a nice rosewood grip. My point is Taurus CAN make a great gun if they want to. BTW I also own a Glock 17 Gen 5 and a G 19 Gen 3. Both very reliable. If I had to bug out with only one handgun it would be the Taurus. If anyone replies to this thread please don’t use foul language or threats. Just kidding.

·
Plays best, alone
4,929 Posts
I'm fond of my Taurus PT92 also from the mid eighties. I replaced the wood grips with some Hogue ones but it has been a great pistol. They use to make good products, then they hit a low point, hopefully they are coming back to good ones. S&W did.

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
Well there's a guy I'll never listen to.

Buddy of mines shop had one they used as a suppressor host:
Shot the rifling out in ~10k rounds.

I've had worse experiences. Friends don't let friends carry Taurus

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
It was a good review with his stated caveats and not a condemnation of the Glock G44 and blind praise for the Taurus. Simply put, the Taurus PX22 he purchased performed better than the Glock G44. Glock's .22LR pistol is a new product; Taurus (maligned as they are and sometimes deservedly so), has made several .22LR pistols in their past. They simply built a good .22LR pistol that competes well with the Glock G44 on this day that they were tested. I wouldn't read too much into it, but the more quality, reliable guns the better. Taurus has had a spotty past. They once made very high-quality but inexpensive alternatives of semi-autos and revolvers. That reputation took a big hit for several years. Just for the gun industry as a whole, I hope they do recover and the little PX22 is not a bad start.

This wasn't a defensive gun review. It was a .22LR plinking pistol or filed pistol (ala Kit Gun) review...

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There’s got to be more to this story, because it ain’t holding water. I don’t know who Paul Harrel is, but he’s either an idiot or being taken out of context.

·
That'll be the day...
3,397 Posts
Not a .22... but my next purchase will be the G3C, 9mm. My son owns two, G2's and loves them. The G3 has an improved trigger and other improvements over the G2.

Taurus is remaking their old image with great guns. I love my 44mag Taurus Revolver.

Hickcock45 gives it high ratings, especially for the price.

·
Dirt Dweller
92 Posts
There’s got to be more to this story, because it ain’t holding water. I don’t know who Paul Harrel is, but he’s either an idiot or being taken out of context.
Paul Harrell is a well regarded You Tuber who makes many detailed videos. I’m not only a subscriber but also a patron to his channel. I’m on ARFCOM also and I see he’s mentioned favorably there on occasion. In a recent video he compares the effectiveness of 3 inch 00 to 3 1/2 00 buckshot. Very interesting if you like gun videos.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have a Taurus 94. It is a piece of junk. A friend also bought one. Same problems. a piece of crap. Never had a Glock but I can state from experience that Taurus is junk.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I own and daily carry a PT 92 never had a problem with it, I have shot thousands of rounds through it not one hiccup ever, this is my second PT92 the first one I sold like an idiot, then I regretted it enough to buy another this time the Stainless/Aluminium AFS. You gun snobs can say what you want, but I know from first hand experience that they are fine shooting firearms and most reliable.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Well there's a guy I'll never listen to.

Buddy of mines shop had one they used as a suppressor host:
Shot the rifling out in ~10k rounds.

I've had worse experiences. Friends don't let friends carry Taurus
Yup, POS gun manufacturer. Owned 4 or 5 of them regretted every one. Maybe in a few years Ill make the same damn mistake again. Just dont buy Taurus.

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
I own and daily carry a PT 92 never had a problem with it, I have shot thousands of rounds through it not one hiccup ever, this is my second PT92 the first one I sold like an idiot, then I regretted it enough to buy another this time the Stainless/Aluminium AFS. You gun snobs can say what you want, but I know from first hand experience that they are fine shooting firearms and most reliable.
You ever own one of their guns that wasn't a Beretta, built on Beretta tooling, by berreta trained people, altered just enough not to get sued? (I've owned 92's and 99's)

The best Tauruses are those built on other people's mags. That's why the G2 does as well as it does (still unfortunately not enough for me to trust my life to.) I was looking forward to $150 'stash guns'
They use Sig 226 mags.

Tried Taurus revolvers and 1911's too.
No quality control.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Just so everyone is on the same page, we are discussing 22LR pistols.
Multiple reviews of Glock 44 - 22LR pistol have found it lacking. I already have an Advantage Arms 22LR conversion for my Gen 3 Glock 19 and have no interest in the Glock 44.

This fella likes the Kel Tec P17 over the Glock:

Glock 44 - 22LR review (doesn't work with 36gr ammo).

Taurus TX-22 review:

·
Registered
34,306 Posts
I also have (several) AA kits, so share A lack of interest, but I won't say "better" about a gun that shoots its own rifling out (his is NOT an isolated case) in a few months of shooting.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I also have (several) AA kits, so share A lack of interest, but I won't say "better" about a gun that shoots its own rifling out (his is NOT an isolated case) in a few months of shooting.
Which gun shot it's rifling out?

·
What would Mal do
4,607 Posts
closest I can get to first hand experience is a brother in law...school teacher on a tight budget all his life...so I never turned my nose up when he would come to visit and be proud and happy that he had acquired a 38/357 wheel gun with Taurus on the side...he was just happy to be able to afford something...20 years later he is still enjoying a reliable firearm...does he put rounds downrange like me?..not even close, but for his level of range enjoyment and sense of home safety, the Taurus has been just fine... I'll never knock another man's choice of a brand nor platform.. I'm just glad to see folks with one and those I'm close to, I make sure they get some time on my private range to know that they have a reliable gun and they know that it likes the ammo they've chosen. He has in the past decade also purchased a Taurus semi-auto..don't ask me models.. I've never had an interest in the brand..but again...he has a few hundred rounds through it with no fails. I honestly can't say the same for my Kimbers, springfields, colts, etc.. ...usually finicky eaters in the compact models..but still..a $1200 kimber ought to be a good eater...so I'll avoid being a hypocrite and just say I'm happy that my BiL has a reliable tool to protect his family.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My Dad was in manufacturing for decades in car parts and razor blades. Quality all depends on who is working that day and who is inspecting. Same for cars, computers, power tools, guns, and knives. Some companies have gotten lucky by having detail oriented, pride in their work people on board. Now they worked to get those people other than some places that work to meet a certain manufacturing cost. So there is never an absolute on anything. I know people that have had S&W guns made back in 'the good old days' but have had very little use crap out on them. Maybe the heat treat of X part was faulty that day, maybe the machinist sneezed while aligning the manual machine he was using and did not check his alignment before moving on..

I have an old PT92 that has never given me issues. It is probably a ban era gun due to 10 round mags, but I have never looked it up. Might have also been made early on on the Beretta machines. I also own a new to me Raging Judge Magnum that is back for repair. Not sure what happened with it before I got it. It is old enough to be under the lifetime warranty for anyone that has it. They are replacing it as soon as stock rolls in. So I have to say that they got a few brownie points with me for that. Manufacturing has bad days, but if the company strives to make it right, I think that is a good sign. I also have several .22lr revolvers from Taurus.

So there are never any absolutes and your experience may be different than mine. I will say when I have people interested in getting a gun come to me to ask questions, I take into account what they can spend when giving advice. If it is a single mom with $200, I might suggest a G2c or G3 (pre panic sale pricing). If she has $800, I would probably steer her different. Having a gun is the first step and is better than not having one. Remember, a very small percentage of civilian gun owners are going to end up in a shooting, and of those almost none are going to end up in a prolonged firefight,. So I am not worried about a pistol being able to run 5 mags cleanly when I suggest it to people like the single mom. If she has to use it, then more than likely she is not even going to run through a mag unless she panic fires it until the slide locks back.

·
Bear Fighter
1,493 Posts
Spend some time on Paul Harrell's channel. Very informative, and he always places a caveat on his reviews that this is how this worked today and how it worked for him, your results may vary, this is merely his opinion based on the testing methods he uses.

Plus, he's not some slicky-boy.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Paul Harrell has credentials and knows what he is talking about but Taurus is generally pretty spotty in terms of QC. Maybe he has a few good ones but I am not inclined to believe they are as reliable as a Glock. A mater of fact the only thing Glock has going for it is its reliability , its a crappy gun otherwise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts