Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read these forums much more than I ever post; and in that reading, I see a great deal of posters who have accomplished quite a bit in regard to long-term preps and self-sufficiency.

I must admit I have a lot of respect for those who have managed to secure land, plant and raise gardens, can their own food surplus stocks, raise chickens, livestock and bees.

Those who load their own ammunition, are well heeled, have various mechanical skills, etc.

I find all these things very admirable, but what if you were forced to leave the land or area you have worked so hard and invested so much into.

What if for reasons of personal security of the lives of you and your family, you had to pick up and run, leaving it all behind; what would you do?

What would you take? How would you then plan to survive?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it would be very hard to leave all these things behind, but what is most important is that they have these skills if they have to start over someplace else. Obviously the persons would have to acquire more seeds/land to farm on, brass/equipment for reloading, etc but their skills could come in handy like in Patriots when the group took in Doug with military background and then Lon & his family who had mechanical experience.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,803 Posts
These are more difficult questions which I have answers but they are probably not for everyone.
You seem like you are talking about homesteaders, farmers and those who try to be self-sufficient by raising and growing their own food. Which is very good especially if things do not get extremely bad with raiders and such.

I believe raiders and desperately hungry people will target farms, gardens etc. and those places would be difficult to secure. People can tell what they would do to protect their farm and homesteads.

My plan is to not have to flee my remote mtn survival retreat. And I hope I would be up there if the SHTF but I can get up there even if I am in the city.
And it would have to be an extremely bad worse case scenario that would have me leave my mtn retreat, preps, gear, supplies etc. I cannot actually think of anything. The most likely worst case scenario up on my mtn retreat is a forest fire but I hope that is unlikely for most of the year it is covered in snow and only July is the driest month.

BUT If there were to be a forest fire I could leave if necessary and If I would not have the time or ability to flee then my deep underground bunker is secure and I could even seal it up more to keep out smoke.

The bunker is what I would most hate to leave for I know of nowhere else that would be more secure. But IF for some very unlikely reason I would have to flee and go somewhere else I would mainly take the BOB and try to get to another cabin which I know all the cabins within miles of my mtn retreat.

Here is a long pic thread with Many pics showing how to get to and use a BOL - retreat and later in the thread others have also shown pics > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=96951

Having studied and Lived survival and survivalism since 1982 I believe I have enough knowledge and skills to survive even If I had to leave my good BOL - survival retreat. But fleeing my retreat would be only as a last resort and I cannot see any scenario where I would have to leave.
For my well stocked and secure remote mtn place with bunker, well stocked sheds, greenhouse etc. is a place to go To Live and Not die.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If I had to leave East Texas, I would load up my personal items - family pictures, computer, clothing, food, water,,,, and probably go to my uncles or cousins house in Georgia.

The other nearest location would be my step-daughters house in Louisiana.

I do not understand the next part of the question "How would you then plan to survive"? If I had to leave East Texas, there is some serious stuff going on, something along the lines of a nuclear strike. Are you asking about getting a job, or a complete break down of society,,,,,,?

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not understand the next part of the question "How would you then plan to survive"? If I had to leave East Texas, there is some serious stuff going on, something along the lines of a nuclear strike. Are you asking about getting a job, or a complete break down of society,,,,,,?
Well, from what I read, many are well prep'd and have secured land, areas or BOL's to assist them in being self-sufficient, but in a post societal breakdown situation where people are migrating away from urban centers, rogue gangs and/or opportunists are pillaging businesses, homes...

If you had to pick up and run, leaving all that you worked so hard for, e.g., prep stocks, our shelter, basically all you have acquired to sustain you and your family...

What is plan B? What do you do to survive at that point?

·
Registered
81 Posts
i think I understand what you are asking..

I would think that anyone that has gone as far as to set up a BOL has given much thought to planning, every Plan A has a Plan B.

Ex. Plan A Shelter in place:
depends on circumstance of emergency; Blizzard, ice storm (scarier than blizzard around here!:eek:) health hazord, etc. all the way to economic.

Plan B Bug out : Triggered by, again circumstances of emergency; Would it be prudent to leave? Safer to be somewhere else or fortify defend what is here? How to transport ? Etc.

Every answer, like a flow chart will ask another question until your options are clear. Once at the BOL I am no longer bugging out but SIP. Starting back at the top of the list of questions. Maybe more dillagent to the circumstance, OPSEC and preperations. BOB's would stay packed,caches would be checked, rotated and/or improved. The BOL would be defended if possible, but would also be abandend if nesecary. All the time, $ and effort in prepping is has one purpose to protect my loved ones, not my things. If I left it would be with whatever I could carry and everything I know.

On to Plan C!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I am staying in most situations. I am in no danger of a flood unless it's biblical. Same thing with a Tsunami. My home is hardened against earthquakes (already survived a 6.5 centered right underneath us with no damage). Heavy snow is no bother. I can be blown or shoveled.

A hostile situation is about the only thing to make me leave. If it's sudden, I can grab my BOB, chest carrier, weapons and some more food, hop on the bike, or snowmachine and boogie for my BOL. Girlfriend and other members of small group live on the BOL route.

My cabin is almost ready. It has all the basics and many luxuries but it needs more to be comfortable and secure long term.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I read these forums much more than I ever post; and in that reading, I see a great deal of posters who have accomplished quite a bit in regard to long-term preps and self-sufficiency.

I must admit I have a lot of respect for those who have managed to secure land, plant and raise gardens, can their own food surplus stocks, raise chickens, livestock and bees.

Those who load their own ammunition, are well heeled, have various mechanical skills, etc.

I find all these things very admirable, but what if you were forced to leave the land or area you have worked so hard and invested so much into.
You leave and seek safety or perish.Safety of family health/well being is worth more than ANY MATERIALISTIC ITEM.Forced to leave by a Catastrophic situation?So move on to safe ground or perish....

What if for reasons of personal security of the lives of you and your family, you had to pick up and run, leaving it all behind; what would you do?
Again,The choice is not hard,If you HAD to,i.e. Forced by catastrophic disaster,It should not even be a second thought to take off to safe ground with your family and what you can gather/take.Leaving being everything is a given,no matter how hard you worked for it,if its a matter of life or death.No materialistic item or "work setup" is worth the safety/health of you or your family.Though if your location is compromised by "SECURITY" issues,that could be a whole new thread about if you body armored your cabin or,we could be talking about anti-tank, ground-air weapons,what caliber and velocity does it take to penetrate certain woods/metals,thickness,location setup etc etc,that all depends on the family/person and location setup,that could be talked for days on end i.e. if i had an anti-tank weapon with stock pile of ammo,then i might be more obliged to take on a security threat against some tanks,but if i dont have any firepower to take out some tanks,you think im sticking around? etc Simple logic,like dont bring a knife to a gun fight.Bottom line,if health and safety is compromised in your location,its time to move to a new safe location,regardless of personal loss,as long as human life is sustained.

My family,myself,all the firearms and ammo,water/food we could carry in a safe manor.The plan to survive? The plan to survive is to sustain with your loved ones while living as healthy and safely as possible.
If in a situation you are "FORCED",may it be security of natural disaster,catastrophic situation,because wherever you are is not safe at that time.THEN....There is no doubt in my mind.The Safety of family health/well being is worth more than ANY MATERIALISTIC ITEM.That includes any farm/well/cabin or anything I worked all my life for with all my hard earned money.

It is easy to say on the internet sure,but its not going to be easy in reality,thats a given.But the reality of it is,if your location is compromised in such a way that it is not safe or healthy to be there,there is no doubt In moving on, to find a new safe location to live/survive in.Any fool would stick around to die for a materialistic item,that even goes for land.A persons life is worth more than any amount of land or item in my opinion. Some people will argue that,But im not here to argue,im just giving my opinions.Because majority of people have died fighting for their land (Even my own blood) and what they worked for all their life.These are just my PERSONAL opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.