Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am newer to the boards I have actually been a long time lurker. I found this wonderful website around 2012 and upped my food and water, collected some PM’s, hubby and I bought another smaller “retirement/vacation” house with some land, paid down debt, and just started to learn all we could.

We sold the house we lived in (and raised 4 kids in) last October so we are on our property full time. We are still working so it’s hard to do all the things we want to do but in time I think we will be able to step away from work a little bit more. I really feel happy with the new things we are trying.

We are raising ducks. This really has been a fun experience for us. I know it’s not for everyone but I love getting the fresh eggs. The ducks are hilarious. And each has its own personality.

I tried winter sowing this year. Overall I was not impressed. My peas did not come up, half the kale did not come up, one bean plant - lol! And maybe half the onions. So I’m not giving up…I’ll try again next year.

I bought two small Aerogardens this year. It was nice to have fresh food growing right on my countertop. I started this project in late November and will start earlier this year. I had some lettuce, a cherry tomatoe plant, dill, and basil.

We are learning to make wine. We are starting with dandelion wine. I bought hubby a wine set for our anniversary last year but our fruit trees need a couple more years to produce some good fruit. Hoping this goes good.

What new things have you tried in the past year? I love learning from you all!

·
The Black Death
2,027 Posts
Although I am newer to the boards I have actually been a long time lurker. I found this wonderful website around 2012 and upped my food and water, collected some PM’s, hubby and I bought another smaller “retirement/vacation” house with some land, paid down debt, and just started to learn all we could.

We sold the house we lived in (and raised 4 kids in) last October so we are on our property full time. We are still working so it’s hard to do all the things we want to do but in time I think we will be able to step away from work a little bit more. I really feel happy with the new things we are trying.

We are raising ducks. This really has been a fun experience for us. I know it’s not for everyone but I love getting the fresh eggs. The ducks are hilarious. And each has its own personality.

I tried winter sowing this year. Overall I was not impressed. My peas did not come up, half the kale did not come up, one bean plant - lol! And maybe half the onions. So I’m not giving up…I’ll try again next year.

I bought two small Aerogardens this year. It was nice to have fresh food growing right on my countertop. I started this project in late November and will start earlier this year. I had some lettuce, a cherry tomatoe plant, dill, and basil.

We are learning to make wine. We are starting with dandelion wine. I bought hubby a wine set for our anniversary last year but our fruit trees need a couple more years to produce some good fruit. Hoping this goes good.

What new things have you tried in the past year? I love learning from you all!
It is late for a garden, but I still think we will do it. I've given up on the plots, but think I'll find a way to get the seeds into some buckets and out them on the patio.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is late for a garden, but I still think we will do it. I've given up on the plots, but think I'll find a way to get the seeds into some buckets and out them on the patio.
I’m in Michigan and my garden is just starting to get planted. We doubled the area and I would also like to do a few buckets! Going to give potatoes a try this year.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,352 Posts
This year I tried growing tomato seedlings and onion seedlings in self-watering trays with "cells." I used to use 9 oz. plastic drinking cups (with holes drilled in the bottoms) for seedlings, but I wanted to try the trays to save some time. With the trays, it wouldn't take as long to plant the seeds, and I wouldn't have to spend so much time watering the seedlings. The tray setup is a tray within a tray; you pour water into the bottom tray, and the water gets wicked up by the soil in the top tray.

It's working great for the tomato seedlings but not so great for the onion seedlings. The problem is that some of the cells with the onion seedlings are forming a blue mold on top, which makes me think the soil is probably too moist. For the onion seedlings, I've stopped pouring water into the bottom tray, and I'm just watering each cell by pouring water into the cell from the top. It's a mystery why the mold is forming in the cells with the onion seedlings but not in the cells with the tomato seedlings.

Plant Wood Grass Groundcover Fence

This is a closeup of one of the cells with blue mold.
Plant Ingredient Wood Mixture Compost

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MyPrepperLife, I just noticed yesterday some blue mold starting to form on one of my seedlings in the aerogarden. I got a knife and took it off and opened some windows for some airflow. I was wondering if it warmed up in the kitchen while I was gone. This morning I took the seedlings and planted in some soil in pots. Hope I don’t see any more. Good luck with the tomatoes!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Mushrooms for one. Correcting a few mistakes from the past in terms of garden soil for two, and trying a community gardens plot for the first time, along with a few tricks I learned from Extension horticulture educators. Hydroponics as well. Working towards having my house paid off in September, which is my last debt. My entire theme this year seems to be adapt and adjust. Given the uncertain times, probably a good theme.

@MyPrepperLife I've never been a huge fan of SWCs for that very reason: too much wet. In my Earth boxes and monkey pots, the soil just never dried out and the plants suffered from wet feet. I have a tabletop hydroponics unit and I occasionally get that blue mold too. Consider a few drops or a dribble of H2O2 in your tank water. That'll keep a few nasties from growing in it. Also assuming you haven't already, be sure to keep your roots trimmed so they don't foul your pump. As another prepper taught me, I offer the teachings to you :love:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I put in a small container garden for the kiddos. We made a 15x15 area with 6ft fencing to try to keep the deer out. We have about 15 containers and some straw bales, and vining plants to climb the fencing. We have acreage, but we live in a dry, drought area, on caliche and limestone, and tons of things that will eat everything. It’s not exactly good for gardening, lol. The kids are loving their garden, though, and I’m interested in seeing how the straw bales do.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,352 Posts
@MyPrepperLife I've never been a huge fan of SWCs for that very reason: too much wet. In my Earth boxes and monkey pots, the soil just never dried out and the plants suffered from wet feet. I have a tabletop hydroponics unit and I occasionally get that blue mold too. Consider a few drops or a dribble of H2O2 in your tank water. That'll keep a few nasties from growing in it. Also assuming you haven't already, be sure to keep your roots trimmed so they don't foul your pump. As another prepper taught me, I offer the teachings to you :love:
Thanks for this info. @citykittyatheart. I appreciate it.

FYI, there is no pump involved with my system. I just use a small pitcher to pour water into each tray.

On the Earthboxes: for seven years I have been using them to grow tomatoes, and I am thrilled with them. The tomatoes seem to love all the water. I get excellent tomato production from the Earthboxes.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I never tried tomatoes in them. I've grown everything from beans and peas to greens, with varying degrees of success. Some years the bottom few inches was waterlogged when I went to clean them out for the year. Maybe it's a regional thing. I finally drilled holes in the bottom so they'd drain decently.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,352 Posts
Trying egg powder!!
I like the OvaEasy powdered eggs. I use them for cooking and baking. I've never tried just eating them plain, so to speak. I mean, for example, I don't put them in a skillet and scramble them.

A few years ago I tried a different brand of powdered eggs. They smelled awful. I couldn't stand them. I can't remember what brand they were, but they were less expensive than the OvaEasy ones.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Expanding the garden and growing enough potatoes and green beans for the year. As usual I grow too many tomatoes cucumbers and zuchini and pumpkins but I like to give it away. A friend yrs ago would can and make tomato juice but I never got the recipy ...may look into that. Nothing like tomato juice blended with an 1" or so of beer ..just enough to tickle the tongue.
Fruits trees are budding well and should produce barring a late frost.
Garden is just getting planted in my area.

·
MyPrepperLife
6,352 Posts
@Hoka-hey, your plant-hardiness zone must be close to mine (4a). I planted two small greens gardens this week: lettuce, kale, and chard. I'll be planting my big garden sometime around Memorial Day: potatoes, tomatoes, peas, beans, onions, zucchini, and probably a few other things.

Tomato juice and beer! I've never tried that. Sounds like an interesting combination.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We're doing a Ruth Stout deep mulch garden this year. So far our plants are looking beautiful. We have a decent amount of tomatoes on them, and lots of pepper flowers. The squash we're having trouble with. We get a ton of male flowers and barely any females, and on the days we get female flowers the males aren't blooming. Cucumbers were a bust this year, as was cantaloupe. I'm going to try again on the cantaloupe, in a different location. The one we have right now got shaded out by a vigorous squash plant and it hasn't grown 6" since we planted early April.

Amaranth has refused to grow at all. I've tried 3 different seed packets and I can't get it to sprout.

We're also trying a Tower Garden (hydroponic indoor garden). Our sprouts didn't do well, so I need to re-sprout.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts