Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· I come in peace..
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some metal canisters (bottles) for water.. canteens I guess. for water mainly. I heard you can boil with these if need be, that these are the good canteens to get-metal. but..

what metal are these? how can I tell if they are aluminum or stainless steal? Mom brought up a good point- some metals can be poisonous. :confused:

· just me and mine
647 Posts
Stainless Steel. Aluminum will release deadly chemicals into the water you are boiling.

Test with a magnet, if it sticks then it isn't aluminum, and you are good to go! Just make sure that it isn't galvanized steel, that will get you sicker than a dog as well! That looks like it has small "chunks" of steel in it the size of a pencil eraser or so.

Hope this helps!

God Bless and watch your 6.

Fisher

· Knowledge is portable...
1,111 Posts
I just bought some metal canisters (bottles) for water.. canteens I guess. for water mainly. I heard you can boil with these if need be, that these are the good canteens to get-metal. but..

what metal are these? how can I tell if they are aluminum or stainless steal? Mom brought up a good point- some metals can be poisonous. :confused:
Good question.. I hadn't thought of that until you asked. I found this. I also have heard that cooking in foil can be really bad for you (although I still cook baked potatoes and onions in foil under the fire)

· 6 Boys and 13 Hands
11,351 Posts
Good question.. I hadn't thought of that until you asked. I found this. I also have heard that cooking in foil can be really bad for you (although I still cook baked potatoes and onions in foil under the fire)
Now I found this interesting. So now I need to research why. :xeye:

In one study, at room temperature, E. coli 0157 survived for 34 days on stainless steel and only four hours on copper.

· Live Secret, Live Happy
18,483 Posts
The best cooking materials are stainless steel (PH 18-8), Titanium, and cast iron.

Cooking acidic foods like tomato sauce in aluminum can leach aluminum into the food. Large amounts of Al can be trouble, but yet most of us seem to survive.

I don't know any health issues with boiling water or baking in aluminum foil.

· Knowledge is portable...
1,111 Posts
I thought you onnly had to worry about aluminum when it came to high acid foods, like tomatoe sauce or if you were canning with vinegar???
It could be this way. I'm not sure. I do remember our shop teacher telling certain students that if they insisted on making bowls on the lathe, to use steel instead of aluminum because aluminum apparently causes lock jaw??

· Numquam Succumbe
4,175 Posts
It could be this way. I'm not sure. I do remember our shop teacher telling certain students that if they insisted on making bowls on the lathe, to use steel instead of aluminum because aluminum apparently causes lock jaw??
Being into lightweight hiking, I looked into aluminum cookware and quickly found this timid underworld of people who abhorr aluminum because it gives you all kinds of diseases form cancer, to alzheimers, to gout, to, now, lockjaw.

I spent an afternoon on the third floor of the OSU library researching these varied claims and was suprised to find out that this entire aluminum phobia going around seems to have originated from some study some group did (sorry, didn't write down my sources) with alzheimers patients that linked alzheimers with elevated levels of aluminum in the body.

The study, however, only showed a correlation. And correlation is not causality. That is to say that the alzheimers may have itself caused the accumulation of aluminum in the body, instead of the accumulation of aluminum causing alzheimers. So, the grapevine took that study and ran with it, because it is still possible that elevated levels of aluminum cause alzheimers. And, near as I can tell, that seems to be why everyone is afraid to cook in aluminum these days.

However, it is much more likely that alzheimers causes your body to accumulate aluminum. Your body is an unfathomably amazing machine that keeps precise levels of untold multitudes of chemicals and elements right where they need to be for your entire life. Your body uses metals like aluminum, copper, and iron to do that, which means your body also regulates these metals. To me, that means that it is much more likely that your body has within it some mechanism to regulate metals like aluminum, and that, when a disease like alzheimers affects your body, it may also affect your body's ability to regulate certain things, like aluminum.

I personally prefer stainless steel because it has a higher melting point, a higher thermal mass (which means more even temperature distribution while cooking over a fire), is slightly more durable, and easier to clean up.

If you find you prefer aluminum, don't fear the aluminum! When someone claims it gives you some disease, ask them for substantial evidence to back up their claims. I guarantee they won't be able to produce any. :thumb:

· Patient Zero of WWZ
5,335 Posts
Take some bits of aluminum foil and put it in a cup of vinegar.

the vinegar eats the foil.

That happens in an aluminum pan too only slower.

I avoid aluminum pans. No good reason other than I just don't see any reason too eat dissolved aluminum.

For a water bottle for a BOB, or for camp cookware....

Aluminum can be melted by a campfire. I don't think stainless can. So I use stainless.

· Registered
2,513 Posts
Good Old Iron

You can certainly use aluminum and get away with it short term, but the human body doesn't quite know what to do with that free element, sossss bad things usually happen.

Good old iron is probably the best. The human body recognizes the iron as something certainly useful and puts that element to work through out us after rearrangement.

The nickel and chromium in stainless steels create problems also, but probably less than aluminum. Stay away from cadium plated stuff....very toxic. HB of CJ (ex RN old coot)

· I come in peace..
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can certainly use aluminum and get away with it short term, but the human body doesn't quite know what to do with that free element, sossss bad things usually happen.

Good old iron is probably the best. The human body recognizes the iron as something certainly useful and puts that element to work through out us after rearrangement.

The nickel and chromium in stainless steels create problems also, but probably less than aluminum. Stay away from cadium plated stuff....very toxic. HB of CJ (ex RN old coot)
As far as my pots and pans in bob are concerned Im going to look for steel. Not sure you can find cast iron mess kit or iron canteen lol

· Registered
961 Posts
I am a "foodie" at times and watch Food Network often. I have heard numerous chefs explain as fact that cooking acidic foods in an aluminum pan causes the formation of aluminum oxides and these oxides are toxic to humans. Don't know if true or not but all of my aluminum pans are teflon coated and others are 100% stainless steel. I would like some copper pots and pans but they're horribly expensive.

· just me and mine
647 Posts
Which chemicals are those?
I will have to admit that I don't know the exact chemicals and their effects to the human body. However, like others have said, fire melts aluminum fairly easily(pop can in a campfire doesn't last long), so if it's melting, then whatever chemicals in the aluminum (I am pretty sure that the camping equipment you can get for just a few bucks isn't 100% pure aluminum) are also melting and being released into the air and whatever is in your pot/canteen/etc.

· Deus exsisto laus
3,962 Posts
Copper was used in canteens back in the 1700s but one would have to keep it polished since the verdigris, the green tarnish, contains poisonous copper compounds. I would think stainless steel would be fine, if it is heated during cooking or cleaned with soap every so often. TP

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.