Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to this site, and found it after my interest into disaster preparedness and survival-ism was peaked,

but my topic for discussion here is what sets someone who would considers themselves a survivalist apart from a guy who just got a nice bonus at work, and then decided he should stock up on canned food, household items, and ammo. Then locks it all in a box in his basement?

so what im getting at is the question of whether or not it is the items that you've acquired, to prepare yourself for disaster, or the mindset that you're ready to survive pretty much anything because you have plans and know what you're doing that defines you as a survivalist or someone who has planned for a survival situation. Since both people are "prepared" in a way.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The equipment you have, the ability to use the equipment you have, the ability to get through from one day to the next, the ability to share your knowledge with others, and the ability to help others in need......... sounds like a survivalist/prepper to me.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, From what ive experienced id say how you describe a survivalist hits it dead on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could consider every human below the "High Society" a Survivalist. Middle Class people have to get out there and sustain themselves and their families, often struggling trough economical and financial deficiency which can lead to problems with each of their diet, health, shelter, transportation and the such. The single fact living is a privilege that I consider completely different from eternal work, makes every average person a survivor.

Assuming that is NOT the answer you came looking for I'll give you my other 2 cents. A Survivalist is a person with such mentality. The one who can be thrown in Malaysia and not state "I can't". That person would try every possible way to live another day, will find his way trough AND out.

It doesn't float around a backpack and a basement full of food; never will. A person who relies on what he has on hands will fail to survive. On the other hand, someone with a survivalist mentality will probably get out there empty handed, craft his own tools, build a shelter, collect food, organize his daily chores and in the end will have a up and going functional way of living.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,589 Posts
There's no hard and fast definition, so there's no accurate way to answer the question. To me, the defining line is the mentality. Someone who puts away a little extra for a rainy day is prudent and wise, but not necessarily a survivalist/prepper. Someone who realizes the possibility of major disasters and prepares accordingly to cover as many bases as possible, while learning useful related skills is. But where exactly does one draw that line?

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
A survivalist is a person with a certain mindset with a number of skills more suited to the outdoors and living off the land a.k.a. hunting, fishing, gathering edibles. A prepper is one who stocks up as much as possible in order to mitigate shortages/disasters and such. I believe many on here fit into both categories but tend to lean more one way or the other. But who likes being labeled anyway? Survivalist can be seen as a very bad thing these days because of some crazies and the media making otherwise normal people look like wackos. Me, I'm just doing what I see a husband and father should do, take care of my family as best I can. Label me what you will.

·
Pedophiles will die soon!
1,184 Posts
To me a survivalist means that one has the attitude of never giving up no matter what. It also includes surviving past experiences that should have killed you but you survived by your own wits.

A prepper means to me that one puts away items such as food, tools, skills, attitudes and anything else it may take to survive and other event that could kill you. A prepper can also include adding items for future comfort in case disaster.

Anyway that is what it means for me. It may have a different definition than others.

·
Purrpared
687 Posts
I think prepping comes from an old-fashioned way of looking at the world: Nobody owes me anything. Stuff hits the fan, usually smacking good people who don't deserve it. Charity is the obvious response when you're not the one the stuff hit this time.

Once you figure out those three things, prepping just happens as a way of life. Things can get tough, you want something to be self sufficient with and a way to help others. If you want to have a happy, peaceful life you start making it so. Stuff is gonna happen to all of us. If you don't take charge then random chance takes over, something hits the Great Fan, and your life is in chaos.

By some people's standards I don't have much. What I do have is a group of people I love and the ability to adapt to hardship instead of whining. Those two things will pull you through a whole lot.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
It's attitude.

I'm working all the time toward better preparedness, better survivalism.

I'll probably never get to where I'd like to be, but each week I'm better off than I was.

The "things" don't make the survivalist; they're "symptoms" of the mind-set, the attitude.

·
Victory Loves Preparation
576 Posts
It's attitude.

I'm working all the time toward better preparedness, better survivalism.

I'll probably never get to where I'd like to be, but each week I'm better off than I was.

The "things" don't make the survivalist; they're "symptoms" of the mind-set, the attitude.
I agree...

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I would LIKE to be a survivalist, but it is not possible.

I cannot be a survivalist because my kids need me, my husband needs me, an elderly relative needs me, and because money is always tight. And, there are simply not enough hours in the day.

So, I have a smallish stash of high calorie food, a dehydrator, a garden, fruit trees, and so forth but what I have will not feed us for long. I am sort of a WANNA BE prepper, LOL!

Every couple-three weeks I do something prepper-ish, but the rest of the time it is "Mom" here and "Honey" there. Though most days I do find time to come here for a preparedness fix.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I am neither a Survivalist or a Prepper.

Yes, I have always been fascinated by weapons, guns, various types of self-defense and hunting/ fishing skills. That does not make me a Survivalist since they are things I can take or leave. To me the Survivalist tends to be those folks that get fanatical about their military guns, heck military everything and bush skills. I know that is a stereotype but it seems to have more than a grain of truth to it. I do not wear camo or have any need for assault rifles. I enjoy living remotely and am a hermit by nature.

Yes, I have recently stepped up storing extra food and supplies. I have bought several things that are worthless if the world muddles through like it is want to do. Partly I have done this because the current economic climate is getting very dicey. I can see that it would be not unlikely to have a collapse occur. On the other side I know that even during a pretty nasty crash that things tend to sort themselves out fairly quickly. Thus my preparations are for a reasonable time of problem and there they will stop. Other than attrition of items and replacement I do not intend to keep piling up stuff. I have too much stuff from all my hobbies and employment through the years.

So I am not a true survivalist or a prepper. Just someone that plans ahead and thinks about how I would respond.

Sorry about that. :(

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
it's a mindset. i'm not a prepper, but i sort of consider myself a "survivalist" because the art of survival is interesting to me. it's not because i see some huge apocalyptic event happening, but because i spend a lot of time in the backcountry, doing outdoors crap, and if something ever went awry, i need to know how to survive and get out. sure the skills may help me if some cataclysmic event happened, but the chance of me being stuck in the woods on a mountain is faaaaaar greater than me having to deal with the end of the world.

what makes anyone here a "survivalist" is that they are thinking about it. the people who go about their daily lives and don't worry about it aren't any worse off, they statistically and probably won't ever be in a survival situation.

all that said...they guy who can fix a car is probably a better survivalist than i am. i have more of a chance of being stuck on the side of the road with a broken car than having to survive some catastrophe.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I am just a survivor! I prep and practice some survival skills but as mentioned before it's all in the attitude! I intend to survive asd long as possible and will not go down without a fight!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts