Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What AR-15 magazines would you stockpile for a complete SHTF / TEOTWAWKI situation?

Pmag M2 - about the lowest priced pmags on the market at this time. Non-windowed are selling for around $10, while windowed are selling for around $12 - $13.

At this time non-windowed Gen 2 are selling for less than aluminum mags. If you wanted to buy cheap and stack deep this would be the magazine.

Pmags M3 - Magpuls latest offering in the magazine market. They are supposed to be stronger than the generation 2 magazines, and are supposed to fix some issues with tighter fitting rifles.

I have read some issues with the gen 2 pmags not falling free from some rifles. The 3rd generation pmags are supposed to fix this problem.

D&H - Black, teflon coated, with magpul anti-tilt follower, selling for around $10.50 - $12.99 at this time.

Good reputation seems to follow D&H.

If I wanted to buy cheap and stack deep, this would be my second choice.

Lancer L5 AWM (advanced warfighter mags)
- I have never used a Lancer L5 magazine, but they seem to have a loyal following.

The price is right for these magazines with 3 packs selling for around the $30 mark.

If I wanted to buy cheap, this would be another one of my options.

NHMTG - another aluminum magazine, seems a little more difficult to find than D&H, reported to be a good quality magazine.

Price point for the NHMTG seems to be a little higher than the D&H.

Okay industries - aluminum magazine, the only place I have been able to find Okay magazines has been at gun shows, and only then in second hand condition.

Troy BattleMag - for the price I can not justify buying a Troy BattleMag.

With a price mark of around $28 - $30 a magazine, I could buy 3 of the pmags gen 2 non-windowed for the same price as a single Troy BattleMag.

C Products - military supplier, can be found cheap at gun shows, some people like them, others do not.

My personal experience with GI surplus C Products magazines has been less than favorable. Some of my C Products magazines have had bent feed lips, followers sticking while moving through the magazine body and will sometimes double feed.

I have started pulling all of my C Products magazines out of my working inventory and retiring them to the top shelf of a closet.

My current plan is to rotate purchases between pmags and D&H. I might throw in a few NHMTG or Okay industries in there from time to time.

The goal is to have a range of magazines so that if a family member or friend has to bug out to my farm, hopefully I will have some magazines that will function in his rifles.

Secondary goal is to have at least 10 brand new unopened magazines for every rifle, plus 10 working magazines. So that is a total of at "least" 20 magazines per rifle.

·
Some guy on the internet
3,311 Posts
here read this and make you own assumptions:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/5..._2_pg16___mobile_users_56k_do_not_click_.html

i personally use the troy battle mags,Pmags and old USGI's with upgraded followers.

my preference leans towards the battlemags or USGI, just due to how slim they feel and they also fit in my mag pouches better than the pmags due to the Pmags's grip pattern on the out of the mag body....

the stupid little foot on the bottom of the battlemags is fairly useless, the pmags ranger plates are better, imo ,i like using a ranger plate type deal for supported shooting behind barriers and prone shooting.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
For my AR's, I have three dozen plus 20 and 30 round Pmags, and between 50 and 75 20 and 30 round aluminum mags by several different manufacturers.

For my Glocks, I have 15-20 mags for every caliber/model.

For my 1911's, I am down to about 50 Wilson Combat mags.

I don't shoot my Sig 228 or 238 very often, but I have a dozen mags for each.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
For my AR's, I have three dozen plus 20 and 30 round Pmags, and between 50 and 75 20 and 30 round aluminum mags by several different manufacturers.

For my Glocks, I have 15-20 mags for every caliber/model.

For my 1911's, I am down to about 50 Wilson Combat mags.

I don't shoot my Sig 228 or 238 very often, but I have a dozen mags for each.
Assuming this isn't total b.s............WHY?? :xeye: How could anyone possibly justify the expense of a dozen to twenty magazines for every pistol? Are you filthy stinking rich ? Paranoid? A compulsive shopper? Are the rest of your preps even remotely this "thorough"? LOL, man,I just gotta know :D:.

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
I was able to leave the Marine Corps with about 30 USGI mags years and years ago. I say about 30 because it seems like anytime I dig out some old duffel bag or something, I find a couple more. Most of those I've upgraded with Magpul followers and Ranger plates.

Lately though, I've been on a Pmag kick. I've got 30 FDE and 50 black. When I find a good price, I can't help myself.

I've also got a few Promags. They haven't failed me yet, but they have that reputation of imminent failure. I use those for reloading drills at the range.

I've also got 48 USGI 1911 mags. Throwaways I dug out of our armory dumpster when the Marine Corps transitioned from the the 1911 to the M9.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
I was able to leave the Marine Corps with about 30 USGI mags years and years ago. I say about 30 because it seems like anytime I dig out some old duffel bag or something, I find a couple more. Most of those I've upgraded with Magpul followers and Ranger plates.

Lately though, I've been on a Pmag kick. I've got 30 FDE and 50 black. When I find a good price, I can't help myself.

I've also got a few Promags. They haven't failed me yet, but they have that reputation of imminent failure. I use those for reloading drills at the range.

I've also got 48 USGI 1911 mags. Throwaways I dug out of our armory dumpster when the Marine Corps transitioned from the the 1911 to the M9.
Good to your armory was "properly" dermo'ing their gear!

Also, man that was such an epic fail going to the M9! I'm glad we are tranitioning back to the 1911

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Have 30 Pmags & Mako mags for my AR and getting more now that prices have dropped. Have 8 for my AR .308, 4 for my 9mm and 2 for my .45ACP

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
Good to your armory was "properly" dermo'ing their gear!

Also, man that was such an epic fail going to the M9! I'm glad we are tranitioning back to the 1911
If memory serves me correctly, we sent the 1911's to MCLB Albany to be demil'ed. With the pistol, we boxed up a cleaning rod, and 2 magazines. No idea why. DRMO wouldn't accept the leftover magazines, so they got tossed in the dumpster in ammo cans. Me and a Staff Sergeant split them up.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, we sent the 1911's to MCLB Albany to be demil'ed. With the pistol, we boxed up a cleaning rod, and 2 magazines. No idea why. DRMO wouldn't accept the leftover magazines, so they got tossed in the dumpster in ammo cans. Me and a Staff Sergeant split them up.
Ha, I'm just busting your balls anyways.

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
I will take it a step further. Even if you don't own any if these weapons, its good to pick up maybe 2 magazines each and a box of ammo. Glock 17, Ak47, Ak74, Ar15, a box of 12 and 20 gauge, 1911, S&W M&P, Fal, since these are the most popular. HK g3 since those can be had for $2.00. Maybe not all but at minimum Ak47, Ar15 and Glock 17.

·
In Peace as in War
636 Posts
I've probably accumulated more mags than I'll ever need for each of my firearms... Why? Magazines are expendable items (they can wear out or be damaged by dropping) and they're relatively inexpensive and available. Another AWB (or even a rumorof an AWB) would lead to a shortage and price gouging overnight (like Sandy Hook did).

I also like to load my magazines before I hit the range... then I can spend my range time shooting instead of loading.:thumb:

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I don't like the gen 3 pmags. They suck, imo. Don't fit mag pouches, and I broke the hell out of one trying to replicate magpuls droptest. Froze it, loaded it, dropped twice on feed lips from about 5-6 feet on concrete, split down the back and vomited rounds everywhere, so I doubt its much better, maybe worse, than the gen 2.

Lancer L5 AWM is a great usgi alternative for those who have gear or pouches that really work with usgi only for some reason, or just like the slim profile.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts