Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us were not born ‘high speed, low drag’ outdoors men/woman… we have all made lots of mistakes and usually continue to perfect our ‘systems’ for being outdoors. So I pose these questions..

2 PART QUESTION:

1. What skill have you learned, or item have you dumped from your pack that made the BIGGEST difference?

Try to keep it to “making due with less or multi use item”, and not “buying the most expensive titanium pooper scooper….” Unless it’s a huge difference for the price…

2. What is the dumbest thing you used to carry or have trekked into the woods with? (this is a humbling question) :D:

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1. probably learning how to baton (split) logs with my knife made a huge difference, goodbye hatchet!

2. biggest mistakes bringing into the woods..... ex-girlfriend?
well that, plus..... extra pair of boots!(for a 3 day trip!) um, i have carried huge stoves, a large lantern! umm full size shotgun (when i def didn't need it!) Way to much water!....followed by Way to little water!!! Way to much food heavy food! I guess the list goes on....

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
1. That large folding shovel. Started using a digging stick and a bowl instead. Works just as well.

2. Dumbest thing I have taken was a one piece 7 foot fishing pole. Boy that was dumb LOL Couldnt use it as a walking stick, couldnt do anything but fish with it. Not to much weight, but darn thing kept bumping into everything, snagging on branches, and just plain awkward. I have no idea what I was thinking on that one LOL. Got a 4 piece now just for backpacking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1. I was converted to tarp camping (instead of a tent) when I was in scouts in the '70's. I rec'd my newest tarp today from OES, not too far from you. Besides your sleeping bag this is the easiest area to cut weight

2. For years and years I/we carried a dutch oven with us. Whomever had to carry it for that day would literally empty part of their pack to make room, and the others would carry what was dumped out. I know it sounds stupid; but having a cobbler at 10,000ft with perc'd coffee, has always been a "High-life" moment for me. (For the record, I have not lead that sheltered of an existence)
I finally became tired of being a pack mule, and my pack carries so much lighter upon my shoulders and hips as a result.

·
Drive them OUT!
221 Posts
GREAT question, KUDOS:thumb:

Things I don't carry anymore.
Used to= Now
Sleeping bag= Wool Blanket
Tent= Tarp/ bug net
Gas stove= Woodgas stove
Boots= Sandals
Water filter= Boiling

Worst thing ever taken in the woods.
The ex-wife:eek:
Non trained dog, it brought back a really ****ed off moose:eek:

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAHA Oh boy these are getting good! Probably should have done a "whats the dumbest thing..." as a seperate thread! haha I have done all of them except dutch oven and hibatchi! although both have a great place in the gear list if you have a quad, truck, horse, ....or children? :)

·
Woodland Survivalist
646 Posts
I have a pillow that unfolds into a blanket. so you dont need a blanket and a pillow if you planned on packing them both.

If you really want to lighten your pack dont take either. Backpacking can easily be done without a pillow and especially a blanket especially in a warmer climate

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Cast iron fry pan - I still carry it. I'm willing to tote it to have my perfect pancakes in the morning.

stupidest thing I ever did.... stick a couple chocolate bars in my bag on the way out the door. By the time we reached the summit the contents of my bag were all chocolate syrup coated..... lesson learned... keep them in a ziploc bag so you can lick the chocolate up when you get there :D:

·
BasicPrepper.com
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a pillow that unfolds into a blanket. so you dont need a blanket and a pillow if you planned on packing them both.

If you really want to lighten your pack dont take either. Backpacking can easily be done without a pillow and especially a blanket especially in a warmer climate
Thanks man! Great website & videos! Keep up the great work! I will subscribe!

Im a pillow whore, usually use my pack or stuff sack with clothes in it for a pillow...

·
Swampy McSwamp
136 Posts
I usually have two ponchos and a poncho liner.. so, in the summer both ponchos get used for wet protection (one rain fly, one personal) and the poncho liner gets rolled up as a pillow.. during the winter months, 1 poncho and the liner become a bag, and the other poncho gets shoved into its hood and becomes a pillow... but yes, there is always a "pillow" involved :)

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
A game cart.:D:

Reactions: USMC_KAK

·
Woodland Survivalist
646 Posts
Thanks man! Great website & videos! Keep up the great work! I will subscribe!

Im a pillow whore, usually use my pack or stuff sack with clothes in it for a pillow...
Thanks! I plan on uploading more videos next week as part of my "wilderness Living Week"

At Philmont (in NM) I started off the 12 day hike using my sweater to sleep on as a pillow, but it got really cold at night so i said "screw it" and used nothing. It kinda sucked, but i got used to it.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
This is a great thread!

1. I used to carry WAYYY too much water. Upwards of 4 liters at a time. Learning how to secure drinking water in many types of emergency environments made me more comfortable with leaving a bunch of it behind. I now function off of 1 liter of water and a water filter (with the capacity to carry more if I *NEED* to, of course). When I hit a drinking hole, I force hydrate (not to exceed 1 liter an hour, of course), fill the bottle up, and keep on moving. That cut me about 6 pounds of weight. lol.

2. The absolute dumbest thing I've ever carried into the woods, even repeatedly, mind you, is one of those damned folding chairs from chinamart. I came to learn that my sleeping pad weighs a lot less and works nearly the same up against a tree.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I usually have two ponchos and a poncho liner.. so, in the summer both ponchos get used for wet protection (one rain fly, one personal) and the poncho liner gets rolled up as a pillow.. during the winter months, 1 poncho and the liner become a bag, and the other poncho gets shoved into its hood and becomes a pillow... but yes, there is always a "pillow" involved :)
I wouldn't call that dumb at all. Once fire/shelter/food are secured, you better believe my next priority is a comfortable nights sleep. lol. :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. After my first failed trip, I learned to take a lot less food and cut down the weight of essential items by transferring them to new containers.

2. I made my own sleeping pads out of one of those foam pads that go on your bed - extremely heavy and getting it wet was an awful thing.

@vicdotcom I had that folding shovel too, I think it was half the weight in my pack hahaha.

·
to whose benefit
170 Posts
1. solid tarp skills, can pitch a many ways and keep a down bag dry in a T-storm w/a 5x8. good bye tent. little chance of rain? cowboy camp.

2. coleman sleeping bag, what a joke :) or hiking in boots is a close second

1 - 20 of 28 Posts