Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at getting two Lamps that runs on karosene or mutifuels, ist also a good thing if it can be upgraded for multiple uses like a stove, a heater and such...AND it has to be easy to handle and not have too manny parts that can break...and that burns fuels.

So_
One for my House, cabin and camping.

The other one i will use as a mobile lamp that i could have with me hiking.

Here is some links on those who i got my eyes on but PLEASE provide tips on others that you absolutely recomend for me.

http://www.petromax.de/en/products.html

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=1015

https://firefly.unitedhosting.co.uk/iimsec.co.uk/tilley/shop.php?stat=1

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I like the Colemans myself, but my favorite are ones I make myself. I make lanterns and jet stoves out of aluminum bottles. A decent one will run off of any liquid fuel, although alcohol does not make a lot of light.

·
1,794 Posts
Aladdin lamps are worthy of consideration. Although they only burn kerosene, they are extremely versatile. I have two of them and they have seen extensive use through the years. Not only do they provide a high light output but they act as a supplement to my woodstove as they throw out an incredibe amount of heat. Probably enough to heat a small apartment by themselves.

Also, I have fabricated an oven using square ducting which has baked more than one loaf of bread using an Aladdin lamp. Of course, this same high heat generation allows for any type of cooking. I fashioned a tripod to support pots and pans over it. No moving parts but it is wise to have extra mantles and chimneys on hand. For your consideration.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Aladdin lamps are worthy of consideration. Although they only burn kerosene, they are extremely versatile. I have two of them and they have seen extensive use through the years. Not only do they provide a high light output but they act as a supplement to my woodstove as they throw out an incredibe amount of heat. Probably enough to heat a small apartment by themselves.

Also, I have fabricated an oven using square ducting which has baked more than one loaf of bread using an Aladdin lamp. Of course, this same high heat generation allows for any type of cooking. I fashioned a tripod to support pots and pans over it. No moving parts but it is wise to have extra mantles and chimneys on hand. For your consideration.
I'd love to see how you did that. Got pics? :thumb:

·
1,794 Posts
I had the picture in my profile album before I managed to delete the whole thing. The following is a description of the oven fabrication that I posted a LONG time ago. Will be rebuilding my album soon.

Also, by using heat ducting, an oven can be easily fabricated. My first prototype used 8" stovepipe. When I found that this crude oven worked so well, I constructed a better model using rectangular, galvanized ducting available at any home improvement center. Fabrication of an oven is simple. Put together the two halves of the square duct. Then seal both ends with sheet metal, in effect forming a box. One end must be hinged to act as a door, the other end can be permanently fixed. Cut a 3 or 4 inch hole towards the end of one side of the duct and cut the same size hole on the other side of the duct, near the other end. One hole is for the end of the Aladdin lamp chimney top to feed heat into the oven, the other hole is to allow excess heat to escape. I used steel shelving legs (scrap) to support the oven at the height necessary to allow the chimney to come within an inch or so of the heat collection hole. Once into place, a small piece of sheet metal is just laid over the hole cut to allow excess heat to escape. All you have to do is slide it around to reduce or increase the amout of heat that escapes, thus controlling the heat level in the oven. Bread bakes very well using this oven. The bread pan must be supported to allow heat under it, of course. I also wrapped a thin layer of insulation over parts of it. Works great. Not a great cook here but I see no reason why anything can't be baked in it. The high heat of the Aladdin lamp makes its use in this manner possible.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Petromax lanterns should not be used indoors as they emit toxic fumes. They are fine for outdoors or ventilated spaces. They also need to be repumped about every 30 minutes or so. Which is why I use LED lanterns, solar charged. Charge em during the day, use them at night. No mess, no fumes.

Here's the Freeplay Indigo lantern for $42us. It's cheaper at Amazon.com:
http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/indigo

It is crank charged. It says no batteries, but you have to charge something and a capacitor doesn't last that long.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Petromax lanterns should not be used indoors as they emit toxic fumes. They are fine for outdoors or ventilated spaces. They also need to be repumped about every 30 minutes or so. Which is why I use LED lanterns, solar charged. Charge em during the day, use them at night. No mess, no fumes.

Here's the Freeplay Indigo lantern for $42us. It's cheaper at Amazon.com:
http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/indigo

It is crank charged. It says no batteries, but you have to charge something and a capacitor doesn't last that long.
Ok, thanks for the tip on those gases...will get me self some oil lamps as well then :thumb:

I wonder when "they" will let out some "new" technology for us..like new battery tech...but thats a different thread =)

·
Confused,but not Lost
1,088 Posts
I've collected lamps for years most are over 75 yrs old and all work very well with kerosene and I have never had any issues with any of them and wicks are still available.

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
I got a Coleman 3W LED lantern from Wally Mart for 25 bucks. Has three power settings.

Runs on 4 D cell batteries. No flame, CO, heat, or combustable fuel.

Nice and bright on the med setting which has like a 35 hour run time. Nite light setting is something like 120 hours.

I need to get another.

McLovin

·
Confused,but not Lost
1,088 Posts
I would have to say my favorite most used one is an all brass Aladin with tall chimmney spark catcher and milk glass shade. It lights the dining room nicely. I also have several wall hangers that still have the mercury reflectors,it is amazing how much light they give off. Just so long as you do not set the flame to smoke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts