Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
what is yerr 2010 plan?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a SHTF situation I want to conserve my batteries as much as possible. I plan on having a GPS but I also want a back up in map form for if I am low on batteries or if GPS has crapped out too. What I need to know since I am going to download a PDF file of the road atlas of Canada and the USA is what kind of map is best? I'm wondering if a standards road atlas is okay or if I'm better off with a Topographic map?

The reason I'm willing to ditch out a big amount of ink and paper to print this out myself is that I ordered a pack of Rite In The Rain copier paper so that I can make my map water proof. I guess I could get some map seal or "Stormproof" to keep the maps from the truckstop waterproof too.

So my question is for a BOB is a topo map or a road atlas best should GPS fail?

Remember the first use for this map will be in my BOV and secondarily it will be used on foot. I also plan on buying a good used HP ipaq so that I can keep a digital file of the maps at my disposal for my BOB that I can look at on the PDA in PDF format.

Thanks,

roof_top_eagle

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Go with an atlas of each. If travelling by car you'll need the road map. If you find yourself afoot you'll be glad to have the topo. Keep them together in a map book or folder along with a compass.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You nned the map because your on foot. Topo maps can help you regain you location by comparing terrain an water bodies to the map.

I use these and have one for each neighboring state.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006347220457a.shtml

Ditch the GPS and spend time learning the area. GPS unit are cruthces, don't go into the woods crippled. LEarn to navigate or learn to make a nice fire when your lost in the woods overnight.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
A good topo map will also show roads. But a road atlas is more useful with your bov. Download both just in case. Also, think about this, you can always purchase a road atlas anywhere and it will be accurate. But it would be much harder to purchase a full set of topo maps. So those are the ones I would print out, then just buy a road atlas at the store.

Just remember to practice your compass and map skills either way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have found that BENCHMARK MAPS are better than delormie but have not covered enuf states yet but are dam fine topo map books.:thumb:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Get a Gazeteer of your state. It has road, including backroads, and topo info on it, as well as GPS and lat lon scales. Waterways, lakes etc are also shown.

Terrain (lay of the land) is very useful for determining natural choke points (where it might be easy to block a road for instance) and help you anticipate potentials for problems.

For very detailed inf of smaller areas, the USGS 7 1/2 minute maps are best.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think the Delorme maps have backroads as well. They show practically everything and the ones I saw today at the store were also water proof. They were individual states though. I didn't see a full map of the US. That would probably be pretty large considering how much info is in these.

·
Nerd
157 Posts
you can get Google Earth from http://earth.google.com/

I like to use it because I can mark my own landmarks, get different zoom levels, print out directions for friends in case shtf, along with waypoints. I can turn on or off roads or anything like that, also, although its not very up to date, at least not in rural places. The satellite view can show you around and through cities, and when combined with topo. symbols, can help you navigate well. I have printed out many configurations of maps for my local area, and directions to anywhere I would need to go, and you can laminate them to help with the long term.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Maps are mission specific. They vary in scale and application. You can NEVER have too many maps. GPS is a very useful gadget to have if you can't see any landmarks and aren't familiar with the terrain. However GPS without a map is useless and most don't have a decent map set built in. GPS is also high technology, making it another thing to fail at the wrong time. Most of the time if you have a good map & compass, the GPS is unnecessary.

Get the Nat Geo Topo map set on CD for your AO. You can then edit them and draw on them as you wish and then print them out at whatever scale you need.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo.html

The next step is a DeLorme topo atlas This handy book combines the best of a medium scale topo map and a road map. Keep this in the car.

Atlas & Gazetteers, by State

I have Auto Club maps for every county and urban area I could ever need to traverse as well as the usual state maps. AAA maps are brilliant at accuracy and detail. (Topo maps suck at navigation on public roads over any distance.) Alternately you could go with a Thomas Guide but I like the big sheet of paper better and they point out shooting ranges. (It bugs me to have to shift repeatedly between pages.)

I have maps from the Forest Service for every national forest within 300 miles.

For up close work I use Google Earth to get detail that would otherwise be invisible. I can pick out the swamp cooler on my roof and the shed in my back yard and follow paths through the woods.
Google Earth

The best part about mapping software is that you can check to see if you have the lasted updates. Hard copy maps have to be frequently replaced and Google earth is limited to the last time the satellite took the pictures.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
If you are going through the trouble of printing maps out on the RitR paper you may want to print some normal paper. 28lb bright white bond may cost twice what the crappiest stuff costs but it is ten times more durable. Not as good as the RitR but pretty good and disposable.

Will you write up a review when you get those pages ready? I would really like to hear about your experiences with the RitR product.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
If you print out on 8.5" by 11" how about plastic sheet protectors.

A state road map for general use and topo's for specific areas. If you use a specific map, get two.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Do you have Ordnance Survey maps in the USA? ( I found it very difficult to find decent maps in the USA for some reason)

They are pretty much the best maps possible, with clear detailed roads and paths as well as topography.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I really like Metsker maps, they are large, easy to read with excellent details. they only cover a county so unless you know exactly where you are going you would have to buy a bunch. I would color them highlighting water, roads etc and than waterproof them somehow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts