Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Indefatigable
20,307 Posts
I belly dance for exercise, though I consider it a hobby too. I would list cooking as a hobby and sometimes it is, when I get to make something really complicated or beautiful, but most days, lets be honest, it's just another chore. It's the same with beading and sewing. I learned to do those things before I ever went to school and they have always been hobbies. Now that I am retired, it's also a great pt time job. I garden, but I do that to cut down on spending money on food in the store, R&R isn't really the goal.
Just recently I became interested in the Japanese art form called Kokedama. It's a cousin to Bonsai but the plants hang free in the air. I've been studying the techniques for a few weeks and I am ready to try my first project this weekend!

·
Jeep addict extrodinaire.
4,008 Posts
Id say my hobbys have been reduced to building jeeps and using them to explore/go wheeling. Mechanical tinkering, welding, and fabrication are a part and I find these are useful skills applied to the SHTF skill set list.
Years and years ago I used to build scale plastic models but that seems to have been ignored due to not much time. I still schlep the stuff around from duty station to duty station in hopes ill pick it up again. *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I am seriously into one hobby that I can't share (there are very few of us who do this activity, so opsec is an issue... by very few I mean we all know each other by first names).

I enjoy nature and landscape photography, at a professional level (I do gallery shows). I also have a part-time job that again would blow opsec if I mentioned it (it's quite high profile, anybody who knows my part of the country at all could figure out who I am) and that job's as much of a hobby as anything.

I have also coached a team last year, but again it's an opsec thing to talk about the sport since it's quite high profile.

So... yeah, not much I can talk about :)

·
Corpsman Up
2,939 Posts
I shoot my arsenal.
I take care of the house and yard.
My daughter is PG so I will soon spoil my first grandson.
I go to the gym.
I walk my dog who is also my best friend and most trusted advisor.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I am not sure where exactly you draw the line between "hobby" and being a survivalist, or is being a survivalist a "hobby" ? I like jogging and walking with my dog, gardening, keeping chickens, shooting, making soap, cooking, baking, but all those things are useful, not just something to fill up time with.
I guess my one thing that could be considered a hobby is traveling. I love visiting different places, in the U.S. and other countries. My totally useless waste of time I enjoy is watching Netflix or reading novels but I only do those when everything else is done.

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
I have way to many hobbies, in fact that was one of my EX-gf's complaints. :D:

Life's to short to sit around on your butt all day, there's things to do, places to see and explore, and new things to learn...

Reactions: Harmless Drudge

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I am seriously into one hobby that I can't share (there are very few of us who do this activity, so opsec is an issue... by very few I mean we all know each other by first names).
you got me really curious what that could possibly be :D:

do we get a hint at least? Is it a sport, making something, do we get to play 20 questions?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts