Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
A bug out bag and/or survival kit would be useful in tons of scenarios and situations, disaster or otherwise. Some of the gear may be dependent upon what area of the country that you live in as to best meet the needs you would face in that area. However, there will always be some staple items in any bug out bag or survival kit.

There are tons and tons of videos and topics on bug out bag and survival kit contents so I'm not going to do a big list here. However, it's often interesting to see what people put in their bug out bag or survival kit. Sometimes people have items you wouldn't normally think of that end up being great ideas. If you have further interest, definitely check youtube and this site out and see what all you can find. :)

·
Possum Lover
15,606 Posts
You might tailor the bag depending on the disaster, is all.

For me, it's floods. So everything in my BOB, important papers and such, had better be in something waterproof in case I need to evacuate.

That wouldn't be such a concern in fire country.

Reactions: MS45 and Uteguy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The BOB.....is based on human needs....not the type of disaster........
Here is what is should have sort of by category....
1. Water and water treatment
2. Medical / Fist AId Supplies
3. Fire and heat
4. Light/batteries
5 Shelter
6.Exposure preps
7. Food/ food preparation
8 Cutting instruments
9. An instruction manual
10. Communication equipment

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
The BOB.....is based on human needs....not the type of disaster........
Here is what is should have sort of by category....
1. Water and water treatment
2. Medical / Fist AId Supplies
3. Fire and heat
4. Light/batteries
5 Shelter
6.Exposure preps
7. Food/ food preparation
8 Cutting instruments
9. An instruction manual
10. Communication equipment
The instruction manual can be taken out, once the skills are learned. Shave a few ounces off afterwards. More room for other supplies

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,662 Posts
I have car kits in both vehicles; I'll append a list at the end, but take that as an example of what someone might have in their vehicle. The kit in my wife's vehicle includes detailed instructions about a few things.

I was talking about those kits with an acquaintance and they seemed to be doing their best to identify instances when the kit wouldn't help. I held up my hand to hold them up. I asked simply this: is my wife better off with the capabilities her kit provides, or would she be better off being stranded without the kit? [I developed these kits after motorists on I-94 were stranded overnight.]

My acquaintance seemed to think that if every eventuality hadn't been accounted for, the kit was of no value. Nothing could be further from the truth.

All ANYONE can do with a surivval kit or a bugout bag or anything, is improve their odds. Nothing more. I'm better off with water than without. I'm better off with some basic food. I'm better off with TP, repair equipment, signaling equipment, gloves--everything adds to capabilities.

You cannot be certain of either success or survival. Nobody can. Who's to say a plane won't crash into your house, a previously unknown sinkhole will open up beneath you, a random robber will decide this day is your day to suffer?

The more capabilities, the more your odds improve.. But never presume you've upped your survival odds to 100 percent, because that's not possible.

Here's the current list in the car kits:

GEAR/MISC
1. Package of Sharpie pen, some 3x5 cards, folded over pad of paper.
2. Multitool (Plus one in Glove Compartment)
3. Folding knives, (2)
4. Playing Cards
5. Aluminum Foil, two squares
6. Hi-Visibility Vest
7. Flares, 3 (can be used to help start a fire if needed) (in wheel well)
8. Fix-a-Flat (in wheel well)
9. Jumper Cables (in wheel well)
10. Money--Four $5 bills, five $1 bills, $5 in change.
11. Four shop rags (red--on purpose)
12. First Aid Kit, includes Ibuprofen and Naproxen Sodium (Aleve)
13. Toilet Paper
14. String backpack

FIRE
1. Firestarting kit--Matches, 2 Lighters, Firesteel, Vaselined Cotton Balls.
2. Fatwood (for starting fires)
3. Firelighting squares
4. Plank wood, split, lining bottom of bag, for making fire.
5. Small bag of Popsicle Sticks (can be split smaller)
6. Folding Saw

PROTECTION FROM ELEMENTS/WARMTH
1. Bandana (headcovering, dust mask, tourniquet)
2. Gloves (3 pair)
3. Space (reflective) Blankets (2)
4. Six emergency candles, six Tea Light Candles, 2 Votive Candles
5. Handwarmers, 6 pair, in mylar w/ O2 absorber to keep fresh
6. Rain Ponchos (2) w/ hood
7. Small Blue Tarp (6x8)

FOOD/WATER
1. Granola Bars (Clif Bars)
2. Mainstay Lifeboat Rations
3. Water, bottled, in 1-gallon ziploc bags (6 bottles)
4. Candle Stand for thawing or warming water bottles.

REPAIR/RIGGING
1. Duct tape (8 yards wrapped around a pencil)
2. Paracord (50')
3. Zip Ties (7")
4. Zip Ties (14.5")
5. Electrical Tape
6. Wire, 16 ga., 50'

LIGHT
1. Extra Batteries (both AA and AAA)
2. Flashlight, Keychain LED (w/ solar recharge, in foil and wrapped)
3. Flashlight, incandescent
4. Flashlight, LED, 2 (one is in Glove Compartment)
5. Headlamp (LED)

NOTE: The flares, Fix-A-Flat, and Jumper Cables are located in the storage compartment at the left rear of the trunk area. Remove the cover to the Jack Storage to find them.

The duct tape, electrical tape, wire, paracord, and zip ties are all for possible repairs, from using a zip tie to connect a hose to duct tape to reattach a fender torn off in an accident to wire to suspend some of the exhaust system which breaks loose.

You can use the Multi-Tool pliers to bend and cut the wire to fashion a candleholder for the six emergency candles (the long ones in the box).

Use the foil to put underneath to catch any drips.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What kind of disaster scenarios is a bug out bag or survival kit good for?
All of them, if tailored to your area.

My jump kit and pack would be lacking some nice things if I were to rely upon it in, say, Northern Canada or England or Jamaica.

Each kit would be different. Folks in the same area might have many of the same things, but their kits will be still be different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never experienced any kind of disaster scenarios where I live so not sure what to tailor my kit for. I guess the house catching fire would be more likely as anything. In which case it would be better to store you survival kit in the car.

I've seen a lot of youtube videos about what people are putting in the kits, it is interesting to watch. But mainly I was just curious about what kind of disaster scenarios we could be faced with.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You'll have to tailor that to your area. You can search for disasters in your part of the country to see what the most prominent ones are and that may help you with some of the contents that you put in. But.....who says you can only have 1 kit? Put together a car kit with basic stuff and redundancies for your bug out kit if you wish. You'll likely have a decent amount of similar items in a car kit and a BoB too. After all......if you have some similar supplies in your car kit and BoB, that's just extra that you have to work with. There's definitely nothing wrong with that. :)

Also, you'd want your kit somewhere that you can grab it quickly, in case of fire, flood, or other emergency. Making sure that it's easily accessible is something you have to take into consideration when you store it so it can be in a convenient place. That way you can grab it on the way and head out. You can think it over and try it in a few different spots. Maybe do a few dry runs to see where you like it best and what works best for you. :)

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
I've never experienced any kind of disaster scenarios where I live so not sure what to tailor my kit for. I guess the house catching fire would be more likely as anything. In which case it would be better to store you survival kit in the car.

I've seen a lot of youtube videos about what people are putting in the kits, it is interesting to watch. But mainly I was just curious about what kind of disaster scenarios we could be faced with.
Providing your location would help people provide information specific to possible scenarios for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would add appropriate footwear and clothing to the car kit list. We probably are dressed sensibly for the most part, but I cringe every winter (especially) watching ppl here in New England hop in the car in flip-flops and shorts leaving the gym, pools, sporting events, etc.

If that's anyone reading, or work necessitates a certain look, at minimum consider comfortable, sturdy footwear you can swap into if you need to walk.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
As others have said, a bug out bag should be someplace where it can be grabbed quickly. Don't plan on adding anything to it when you're literally headed out the door; anything "extra" should not be absolutely essential. Furthermore, if you have concerns about being able to grab your BOB on short notice, perhaps your get home bag (GHB) in your vehicle should provide some redundancy for an absent BOB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Bedford Indiana. I don't live out in the woods but there is some woods around.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
What kind of disaster scenarios is a bug out bag or survival kit good for?

None if you don't have any skills, lack common sense, and don't actually go test gear out to gain experience. Urban dwellers can have a mountain of gear and are still going to die.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts