Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I am not asking about what you think is most likely, I am asking what scenario are you most afraid of.

For me, it would be some sort of biological/viral pandemic. It is one of the few things that can happen without any outward sign or indication that it has begun. It is also the one thing that, even after you know it is happening; you have no idea who you can or can not go to. You have no idea whether or not even those that you trust implicitly are safe to be around.

Everything else that I can think of, whether it be man-made or natural, can be observed and you can pursue one path of action or another to get past it. But with a pandemic, regardless of whether it is man-made or natural, it is something that you do not recognize until well past the point where you could have been exposed to it. And once you do recognize it, there is still no way to follow an effective plan of action until AFTER it has been identified and the medical community has released some kind of a guideline. Heck, you can’t even go to your own group for help with out wondering whether or not any of them have been infected – this is really the biggest point for me.

What about you?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Pandemic for sure. You can protect somewhat against radiation, flood, earthquake, economic collapse but a virus with a transmission rate of the flu and a mortality rate of Hanta (50%?) would be just so incredibly scary. If there were no immunization and no cure the only way to protect yourself would be to isolate from everyone. This goes against even the people who are isolated but depend on their neighbors to band together against outside forces. Just one person's kid in the group who meets up with his girlfriend from the next town over one night and BAM your whole group is infected and dead.

·
Fenced In
3,446 Posts
I fear any disaster which entails evacuating our home, since we have no BOL. And 70,000 people in our city all trying to get out at once, yikes, especially if the city of 2 million is already occupying the interstate.
This, mainly because preservation of our home is second only to the lives of the family members in it, at least as far as I'm concerned. I'm generally a proponent of bugging in, and am equipped to endure most human-initiated crises. But in the event of a natural disaster, a tornado being most likely here, the best we could hope for would be to escape with our lives.

Second place goes to a true "SHTF" situation where there's no clear way for us to get back on our feet once the immediate danger has passed. If our government and financial institutions cease to be, and utility services, communication and transportation infrastructure are unavailable, to say that it would be demoralizing and overwhelming is a gross understatement. Surviving a disaster is one thing, but I think that the prospect of carving out an existence in a full reboot of civilization is more terrifying than most people will admit.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
I'd say pandemic closely followed by a breakup of the country.

A pandemic might mean not getting to a place where I can be isolated from others as they shut down traffic and try their best to quarantine. Who's going to work during that sort of thing? Food, fuel, and necessities could easily cease while you hope you or your family doesn't catch whatever; or worse wait around to see if they survive it if they got sick.

Storms and short term stuff are easy by comparison.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
In all seriousness, pandemic.

Nothing you can do about it, but quarantine and hope that you and your loved ones survive.

My other concern with pandemic (dependent on morbity and mortality) would be the very real possibility of economic collapse leading to TEOWAWKI.

·
King of Canada
4,421 Posts
Extended job loss. Not really a fear, just what I prep for.

Food is easy to find here though. Fish, wild game, fruit (berries).

I have a family to feed and take care of.

We live in the middle of a huge pine bush. We get wild fires every year that surround us, none have made it to town, but we're as ready as we can be.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
A large asteroid, comet, or meteor impacting the Earth such that very small population of humans and animals would be alive after a few years. Because I don't want to go like the dinosaurs, and if it's going to happen I don't think we have a way to prevent it yet. I'm usually not hopeless but that would sure frighten me the most.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,653 Posts
Cancer. Heart disease.

These are not only very real SHTF but they are also far more likely than the fantasies about nuclear war or famines or EMPs. Sure, those can happen. As can flooding, tornadoes, volcanoes.

But cancer and heart disease can and do kill massive % of people. So do something about that and stop worrying about the bomb... :thumb:

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
What do I fear the most? What I can't anticipate and prepare for. Long and bitter experience has taught me it's the things you never think of, never dream would happen, that kill you. Or family.

That said, here are the things I *have* thought of.

Pandemic. I've studied the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak. That killed more people than WWI and WWII combined. And these days, with the speed and extent of travel, if something like that started it would be in most major cities in days. And if it had a long enough incubation period we wouldn't know it until people started dying. But it's not the disease that scares me so much as the consequences. People terrified of death, staying home. Not doing the work that's necessary to keep things running. No truck deliveries of food. Water systems failing. Power grid, shutting down. People not able to stay home, going out, looking for food and water, spreading the disease, getting desperate, taking things into their own hands...

Asteroid hit. It's when, not if. It might not be for thousands of years, it might be next year. But a big enough impact will be more than any preparation can withstand.

Global Warming. The Deniers can deny all they want, things are getting strange, fast. How fast, and how extensive they will be, are the questions. If really, really fast, and really, really extensive, so that in our lifetimes - maybe even in a few years - the consequences start to swamp us... :eek:

Economic collapse of the US. I generally pooh-pooh this, because none of those who have been predicting it for the past 50 years are so have been right, nor have they actually provided a mechanism by which it could come about. But with the current endemic governmental dysfunction... I am not as confident as before.

House fire. It doesn't take TEOTWAWKI to destroy everything you own and kill you. Normal, mundane things can do that, too. Speaking of which...

Heart attack. Stroke. Cancer. My family health history isn't good. That I have lived as long as I have - long enough to get a senior discount, have my knees (and other parts) start to fail, and get bald and stooped - kind of amazes me. I won't say every day is a gift, but it IS rather a surprise. The worse part is, if things go really bad - stroke, serious fall, heart attack that leads to paralysis - it might not kill me. Just leave me wishing I was dead.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.